Go Back   > > >

Old May 19, 17, 7:52 pm   #1
Original Poster

Prints in cardboard tube

I will be bringing some art prints rolled in a cardboard tube, less than three feet long. Looking at about 4" or so in diameter. Will this be an issue on a TATL LHR-ATL in C+? They would get totally destroyed if checked in and won't fit in my carryon. These are for gifts. They can't be sent by post and I don't want to send the FedEx. I will have one small duffel bag to checkin with food stuff that can't be carried aboard, but I'm afraid the tube would get smashed.

I know I can order online, but I need to see them up close and not every print is sold online. Plus, who knows what I'll find at a local market?

I'm surprising my BF with prints of Spitfires and a Lancaster. Also some reprints of WWI and WWII posters for myself.

For the food stuff, I'll have bubble wrap. I used bubble wrap last trip and nothing broke.

All suggestions are welcome.
CosmosHuman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 17, 8:11 pm   #2
used to be 'jrl22'

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (IAD area) and near LAX
Programs: DL PM 1.2MM; AS MVPG
I've carried tubes w posters/prints on a number of domestic flights w/o issue; I'm a window seat addict, so it was a simple matter to put the tube "under" the seat in front of me but actually against the side wall (extending half way past my seat)

bubble-wrapped beverage items (wine, Scotch, Spanish olive oil, etc) further wrapped in a sweater or jacket in a checked bag survived our last two TATLs
jrl767 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 17, 8:15 pm   #3
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
I've carried tubes w posters/prints on a number of domestic flights w/o issue; I'm a window seat addict, so it was a simple matter to put the tube "under" the seat in front of me but actually against the side wall (extending half way past my seat)

bubble-wrapped beverage items (wine, Scotch, Spanish olive oil, etc) further wrapped in a sweater or jacket in a checked bag survived our last two TATLs
Window seat addict here as well, plus I'm in the first row of C+. Thanks for the idea.
Old May 20, 17, 8:19 am   #4

Programs: Delta PM, Sky Club
It should fit in the overhead bin. If the FA sees it on the floor in front of the bulkhead you'll have to put it overhead.
CarmenOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 17, 8:49 am   #5

Programs: Delta, United
Conference attendee's carry poster tubes on board all the time. They fit in the overhead easily. Sometimes the FA will let you put them in the coat closet. Just put the tube in the overhead so it can be seen or wait until others have loaded their stuff then put it in.
FlyingUnderTheRadar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 17, 8:59 am   #6

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage
I've seen a pax ask the FA if they can put a misshapen fragile thing in the closet because it didn't fit in the overhead bin, so I doubt they would have a problem with a poster tube.

Granted, a poster tube would fit in the overhead bin.
FlyerWx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 17, 10:32 am   #7

Programs: DL DM, MR/SPG Plat, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
+1 Coat Closet. Never seen this not work.
orca15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 17, 10:44 am   #8
used to be 'jrl22'

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (IAD area) and near LAX
Programs: DL PM 1.2MM; AS MVPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post
It should fit in the overhead bin. If the FA sees it on the floor in front of the bulkhead you'll have to put it overhead.
on the floor along the side wall beside my seat -- never been an issue
jrl767 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 17, 10:56 am   #9
Original Poster

Thanks guys for your great suggestions.
Old May 20, 17, 11:44 am   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
OP... put the prints in a guitar case. Airline policies require that the co-pilot must give up his/her seat if necessary to make room for a guitar case.

Seriously... I frequently see folks bringing on items such as yours, and I have never seen a problem.
StayingHomeIsBetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 17, 1:08 pm   #11

The item counts as your one carryon item if you put it in the overhead bin. Just ensure that it doesn't exceed 45 inches L+W+H.
Widgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 17, 2:06 pm   #12

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Incidentally I've checked-in the strong tubes on numerous international flights (with A2 plans) as fragile items and never had an issue.
Yachtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 17, 2:15 pm   #13

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
AND -

1 - Do not carry it such that is swinging around hitting people. If held close and upright, it is barely noticeable.

2 - Don't ask. Somebody having a bad day can easily give what they consider the safest and best answer - NO.

LOL!
NoStressHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 17, 2:53 pm   #14
Original Poster

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoStressHere View Post
AND -

1 - Do not carry it such that is swinging around hitting people. If held close and upright, it is barely noticeable.

2 - Don't ask. Somebody having a bad day can easily give what they consider the safest and best answer - NO.

LOL!
I can put it down my pants.