Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

More miles from cheap package fare than regular coach

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 5:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

I booked a ridiculously cheap Expedia package to ATL-CDG (R/T with 6 days hotel only a little over $1100--less than advertised coach fare alone!). I wasn't sure how they would credit the V fare, which in the receipt has no base value listed. It was DL flight numbers on AF metal.

So, instead of money spent, they used the MQM (actual) miles as the base measure, divided by 10 to get the MQD, and divided by 2 to get the base miles. This resulted in many more miles than my conventional ticket for this flight earlier this year. (Admittedly, that ticket connected to elsewhere, but didn't result in a huge change to what just the Paris trip would've been.)

Is DL really so intent on not revealing the actual fare paid that they would give you lots of extra miles to keep that secret? I'm not complaining (I'm pleasantly surprised!), but I was shocked to see them be this generous with a V fare that certainly must be quite small.
Old May 20, 2017, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure why you were shocked. Exception fare earnings have been published and in place for some time now (over 2 years). The ability to earn higher returns on these flight than published fare flights has been noted here a number of times.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ion-fares.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...tml?styleid=17

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.