FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Johnny Walker Blue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1843531-johnny-walker-blue.html)

andyh64000 May 19, 2017 3:48 pm

Johnny Walker Blue

I noticed most Sky Clubs have Johnny Walker Blue so tonight I asked the bartender how much. He said $30 for a double. He said it used to be $50 for a single but nobody was buying it. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. In the terminal Dewars White will cost you 11 or 12 for a single.

downzy May 19, 2017 4:26 pm

Not too recently I had 34 for a double at a hotel bar, so not a bad deal IMO.

KDCAflyer May 19, 2017 4:34 pm

I've never had it. Is it worth the price?

KevinDTW May 19, 2017 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 28334994)

My question as well. As a dedicated single-malt drinker I hesitate to pay so much for a blend.

krlcomm May 19, 2017 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by andyh64000 (Post 28334825)
I noticed most Sky Clubs have Johnny Walker Blue so tonight I asked the bartender how much. He said $30 for a double. He said it used to be $50 for a single but nobody was buying it. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. In the terminal Dewars White will cost you 11 or 12 for a single.

$30 for a full double is a really good deal IMO... A lot of higher end restaurants get that, or even a little more, for a single.

krlcomm May 19, 2017 5:03 pm

$30 for a double isn't bad for a bar / restaurant. I've brought a full bottle before (think I paid around $100ish??)... but to answer your question - yes, IMO it's a really, really, really good blended Scotch. Extraordinarily drinkable. Just one person's opinion but that's mine. YMMV...

Fraser May 19, 2017 6:07 pm

As with everything in life that's completely subjective.

KDCAflyer May 19, 2017 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 28335247)
As with everything in life that's completely subjective.

I mean, will I be completely blown away compared to Black Label, or a Macallan (12 or 15)?

pbarnette May 19, 2017 6:37 pm

It is a very good, very balanced whisky. Very smooth. Subdued smoke.

However... to my mind it is just there. If you are the sort that wants a point of view from your whisky, then you will probably be underwhelmed and might want to seek out single malts.

As to whether it is "worth the price"... The whiskey market has gotten kind of stupid so it might even be considered a bargain compared to Yamazaki 25 or Pappy.

Duke787 May 19, 2017 6:39 pm

This seems in line with the reported price of $20 for Pappy (though age unknown).

Not bad for a double especially if you are grabbing a couple pre flight drinks in the SC before hopping onto a TATL and going right to bed (okay maybe after a Woodford)

Fraser May 19, 2017 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 28335322)
I mean, will I be completely blown away compared to Black Label, or a Macallan (12 or 15)?

Still subjective!

My my father is a big whiskey drinker. Has no problem dropping $1000+ per bottle on single malts from long gone distilleries and it can take him years to track down some of them. To to him all blends are meh. So you can't really compare Macallan (his go to for "cooking whiskey") with a blend.

i have literally zero appreciation for scotch but have had JW Blue and Coke which was alright..I guess

KDCAflyer May 19, 2017 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser (Post 28335349)
Still subjective!

My my father is a big whiskey drinker. Has no problem dropping $1000+ per bottle on single malts from long gone distilleries and it can take him years to track down some of them. To to him all blends are meh. So you can't really compare Macallan (his go to for "cooking whiskey") with a blend.

I have literally zero appreciation for scotch but have had JW Blue and Coke which was alright..I guess

:eek:

Fraser May 19, 2017 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by WWads (Post 28335366)
:eek:

Well, my father told me never to mix single malts. BA only serve JW Blue and I think Glenlivet 18 in F.

The Blue was the sacrificial lamb when I fancied a whiskey and Coke.

BlindPilot May 19, 2017 7:29 pm

JW Blue is a good blend. $30 for a double is a good price.

KevinSFO May 19, 2017 7:44 pm

I'm a big single malt fan. The smokey/peaty Talisker, Ardbeg and Lagavulin are a few of my favorites. I would never pay the c. $200 for a bottle of JWB, but I received it as a gift recently. I really do think it's a great whisky and has a lot of the characteristics I like in single malts. Lower priced blends use a lot of grain whisky. I believe JWB is 100% aged malt whisky. I kind of like Johnny Walker Black, but I like the Blue MUCH better.