Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Johnny Walker Blue

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2017, 11:52 pm

Programs: DL Million Miler
For price, consider buying malts in Germany. Liquor taxes there are so low that you can pick up very good malts at and under $30 - - and things like Laphroaig Quarter Cask or a liter of Glenfarclas 105 (60% strength) for around $35. But not at duty free - - which is a huge ripoff - - you have to go to the dedicated malt shops like Weinquelle in Hamburg. When I go to the UK from Germany, prices are close to double what I've paid in Germany, so I bring a liter along. Even Wild Turkey Rare Breed is around $30 in Hamburg.

Last edited by SpinzCity; May 20, 2017 at 11:57 pm
Old May 21, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by WWads
I mean, will I be completely blown away compared to Black Label, or a Macallan (12 or 15)?
Blue is way better than Black, which I'd only use as a mixer, and I wouldn't put JW Black and Macallan in the same sentence! Not all blends are undrinkable and Blue Label is exceptional. I'd still take something like a Lagavulin over it but it's certainly good enough to drink neat.
Old May 21, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Blue is way better than Black, which I'd only use as a mixer, and I wouldn't put JW Black and Macallan in the same sentence! Not all blends are undrinkable and Blue Label is exceptional. I'd still take something like a Lagavulin over it but it's certainly good enough to drink neat.
As a single malt drinker, I agree. The issue with Blue isn't that it is terrible it is that you can find better Whisky at much lower prices.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
While I am a single malt drinker, I find JWB to be quite acceptable.

I first had it in a remote site in a West African country, only accessible by a 1 hour flight in a float plane (this is starting to sound like a Raymond Reddington anecdote ).

The site manager seemed to have an inexhaustible supply of JWB... which was greatly appreciated.
Old May 21, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
While I am a single malt drinker, I find JWB to be quite acceptable.

I first had it in a remote site in a West African country, only accessible by a 1 hour flight in a float plane (this is starting to sound like a Raymond Reddington anecdote ).

The site manager seemed to have an inexhaustible supply of JWB... which was greatly appreciated.
J. Peterman, actually
Old May 22, 2017, 6:32 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by javabytes
My two statements still stand:
1. Most people cannot tell the difference. Test after test shows many of those that believe they can, really can't. I acknowledge there are still some who can, but most who claim to be able to are full of crap.
2. Once you get past a certain point of quality, you begin paying double, triple the price (or more) for improvements that are marginal. Let's accept the premise that Glenlivet XXV is better than 18 is better than Glenlivet 12. The price of Glenlivet 18 is 3 times that of Glenlivet 12. Is the 18 literally 3 times better than the 12? Is the XXV literally 11 times better than the 12? Everyone has their opinion, but I would suggest no.

And in general, I agree: $30 for a double poured from a bottle that retails for ~$180 is quite reasonable.
If someone cannot tell the difference between these two single malts, it is because they have not been taught to distinguish the spiciness say, that comes from sherry casks (GL 18) versus the lack of it in using only Oak casks (GL 12). Discerning is not about which one a person likes "better" or distinguishing the most expensive one but about picking up on nuances in the drink brought about by location, soil, type barrels, etc. If someone has a discerning palate, they can often, but not always, identify where the drink is from and it's vintage and subsequently it's price. However, this is only because they can identify the characteristics.

Tasting is an adventure that provides different experiences. I have 8 different single malts that I select from at home, depending on my mood and circumstances. The price is not the determining factor.

That said, when out, if I wanted to try this, I would be happy with the $30 price.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dlffla
If someone cannot tell the difference between these two single malts, it is because they have not been taught to distinguish the spiciness say, that comes from sherry casks (GL 18) versus the lack of it in using only Oak casks (GL 12). Discerning is not about which one a person likes "better" or distinguishing the most expensive one but about picking up on nuances in the drink brought about by location, soil, type barrels, etc. If someone has a discerning palate, they can often, but not always, identify where the drink is from and it's vintage and subsequently it's price. However, this is only because they can identify the characteristics.

Tasting is an adventure that provides different experiences. I have 8 different single malts that I select from at home, depending on my mood and circumstances. The price is not the determining factor.

That said, when out, if I wanted to try this, I would be happy with the $30 price.
Sherry casks are preferred. Don't know if it's the oak, but I find GL 12 and 15 to both be very disappointing. I guess there's a reason why GL 15 is about $20 cheaper than M 12 at my local store.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
I guess there's a reason why GL 15 is about $20 cheaper than M 12 at my local store.
Macallan has to pay for all those expensive ads they run in the WSJ, Esquire, etc.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Sherry casks are preferred. Don't know if it's the oak, but I find GL 12 and 15 to both be very disappointing. I guess there's a reason why GL 15 is about $20 cheaper than M 12 at my local store.
M 12 is sort of my go to when I'm at a bar and don't want to decide what to have. But I think the pricing difference is more on the management at M. They seem to think they have become so popular they can charge whatever the market will bear. The retail price for M 12 is ridiculous in my mind.

About three years ago I was at a rum tasting at a large liquor store in N.E. and was talking to the owner. He had a great selection of single malts and I asked how come he didn't have M 25. He said they had just made it too expensive to keep; if he had a customer that wanted it, he would have no problem getting it.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
M 12 is sort of my go to when I'm at a bar and don't want to decide what to have. But I think the pricing difference is more on the management at M. They seem to think they have become so popular they can charge whatever the market will bear. The retail price for M 12 is ridiculous in my mind.

About three years ago I was at a rum tasting at a large liquor store in N.E. and was talking to the owner. He had a great selection of single malts and I asked how come he didn't have M 25. He said they had just made it too expensive to keep; if he had a customer that wanted it, he would have no problem getting it.
Never understood the M12 hype. Bought a bottle for cheap at the San Mateo Costco a couple years ago when I lived out there. Have tried it twice and hated it both times.

It sits in my liquor cabinet now waiting for some time when I have visitors who like whisky and I want to give them something nice without having to go into my personal stash.
Old May 22, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by dlffla

I think you're illustrating my point. The "nuances" brought on by barrel type, soul, location, etc. are exactly that - nuances.

I was answering WWads' question:

I mean, will I be completely blown away compared to Black Label, or a Macallan (12 or 15)?
When these nuances are so subtle you have to be trained to detect them, how can there possibly be room to be "blown away" by a Scotch?
Old May 22, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Originally Posted by javabytes
I think you're illustrating my point. The "nuances" brought on by barrel type, soul, location, etc. are exactly that - nuances.

I was answering WWads' question:

When these nuances are so subtle you have to be trained to detect them, how can there possibly be room to be "blown away" by a Scotch?
Not all of the difference in scotch are subtle.

Glen and McCallan are both speysides so they are going to be nuanced differences.

Compare them to a laphroaig and you might not believe they are the same drink (think an IPA and a low hop stout).
Old May 22, 2017, 4:40 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by Duke787
Never understood the M12 hype. Bought a bottle for cheap at the San Mateo Costco a couple years ago when I lived out there. Have tried it twice and hated it both times.

It sits in my liquor cabinet now waiting for some time when I have visitors who like whisky and I want to give them something nice without having to go into my personal stash.
I'll be over as soon as I can to help you finish the bottle to make room for something else.

I totally understand the difference in taste. I started drinking scotch when I was 18 and it was Chivas. At that time about the only single malts you found were Glenlivet and Glenfiddich. As they became more available, I expanded my drinking. However, Islay is a different experience. About 15 years ago, my wife and I bought a bottle of Lagavulin. We didn't care for it, sat it down and tried again a couple of weeks later. Nope, not for us. Fortunately, we knew someone who liked it and he gladly took the rest of bottle off our hands.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:09 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
This thread has sold me on trying JWBlue the next time I see it at a reasonable price.

I prefer a high end rum when I am buying bottles for an after work nip. When I am out though, I have been arm twisted by colleagues to try out some whiskey/scotch items.

I realized I haven't found a single malt that really makes me go "wow".

I tried Hibiki 17 year old Japanese blended recently, on ice. It was smooth and tasted great. That shot though cost me probably $40.

I have tried the Highland Park stuff...I like the 18+ year stuff.

Those saying there isn't a big difference between 12 year and 18...it depends, but I can notice it in the smoothness. Also a big difference between 18 and 22 year for smoothness and flavor.

I recently tried 18 year Glenlivet and it wasn't for me.
Old May 22, 2017, 5:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Originally Posted by Fraser
Still subjective!

My my father is a big whiskey drinker. Has no problem dropping $1000+ per bottle on single malts from long gone distilleries and it can take him years to track down some of them. To to him all blends are meh. So you can't really compare Macallan (his go to for "cooking whiskey") with a blend.

i have literally zero appreciation for scotch but have had JW Blue and Coke which was alright..I guess
Hah, this reminds me of meeting the Macallan sales rep in the Bay Area who was mixing Macallan 18 into cocktails.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.