Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta partners with Lyft - Earn Skymiles for every Lyft ride

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta partners with Lyft - Earn Skymiles for every Lyft ride

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 7:57 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by ambyr
I've been wondering that too. I linked my Lyft account to JetBlue last year, and had no problems also linking my Lyft account to Delta. I'm not sure how to check whether that unlinked my account from JetBlue.

Since I never use Lyft when going to the airport, the Delta deal is much better for me than the JetBlue one, anyway.
I didn't see anything in the Delta Ts & Cs that suggest that it was "non-combinable". Nor is there anything in the language on JetBlue's website

I guess I'll have to see what posts on my next Lyft ride.

Last edited by aisleorwindow; May 18, 2017 at 8:06 am
Old May 18, 2017, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
I am well into triple digits on Uber with rides in cities everywhere. Have never once tipped, and I have a 4.86.

However, I am aware of and watching this very worrying trend. If it keeps going this way, it will absolutely push me to Lyft. I don't mind the tipping in the app at all (Lyft-style), but once I have to start worrying about carrying bills on me and weird driver dynamics like '5 for 5', Uber ends right there.

As for this DL-Lyft promo, it is at least enough for me to start looking over the fence some more, which is just what it's supposed to do. Good for them.
Same here. I have used Uber hundreds of times in dozens of cities in the US and have never tipped once and I still have a 4.88.

Definitely would start using Lyft a lot more if the trend of having to pay Uber drivers tips in cash spreads.
Old May 18, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Uber may legally have to start offering in app tipping in NYC and if they do I'm sure they'll include that option in all cities in the app. Seeing I am expect to tip a taxi driver on a higher fare and in a cab that usually isn't as nice as an Uber I have no issues giving a tip, especially on airport trips where they are handling luggage, etc. I usually have to have cash anyway to tip the bellman if I have them hold my luggage and if I'm staying at a nicer hotel I'd rather give the Uber drive a cash tip as opposed to the valet who have hailed a taxi and put my bags in the cab.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Registered last night and waiting to see how long it takes for this to credit to DL.

I used it to my departure airport but not back from LGA today. Nothing will convince me to schlep out to that stupid parking lot and wait an extra 20 minutes, not even 3x DL miles. So I took a yellow cab instead. Even then it was hot as hades outside -- taxi line had a table with water dispensers and cups near the dispatchers, presumably for clients. Seemed empty by the time I got there (6:45pm-ish) although it was still hot...
Old May 18, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by zoo260
I read the fine print which said Lyft will share all of my Lyft ride data including pickup location, drop off location and route taken with Delta. Offer declined!
Yes, the T&C are expansive. By what do you expect? Airline mileage shopping malls use trackable cookies and probably all sorts of other invasive ad-tech, and miles aren't free. If you don't pay for them with money, you pay with personal data. Presumably DL knows where you live so rides from home to the airport aren't revealing anything special to them. If you wanted you could just do your airport trips to and from home using Lyft and any other trips on Uber instead.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
My understanding is that "5 for 5" is definitely a thing.
I've heard it too. Most of my rides are in the $6-10 range in urban settings. I will definitely never "5 for 5" those, and any driver that expects that is high. I don't care to worry about whether I have singles in my wallet, so 100% of my urban rides are Lyft. I live far out in the suburbs, and I can typically get an Uber within 7 minutes, but Lyft's coverage is so sparse the closest car is 30 minutes away (and I can't imagine they'd even accept). I have no choice but to 5 for 5-big those airport rides. Rides to the airport aren't really a problem, but rides from the airport that leave the driver far away from the airport and the city are the ones where they will trash your rating if you don't tip. Since Lyft allows you to tip within 24 hours of riding, I believe scores are truly independent of whether or not a tip is received.
Old May 18, 2017, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by javabytes
I've heard it too. Most of my rides are in the $6-10 range in urban settings. I will definitely never "5 for 5" those, and any driver that expects that is high. I don't care to worry about whether I have singles in my wallet, so 100% of my urban rides are Lyft. I live far out in the suburbs, and I can typically get an Uber within 7 minutes, but Lyft's coverage is so sparse the closest car is 30 minutes away (and I can't imagine they'd even accept). I have no choice but to 5 for 5-big those airport rides. Rides to the airport aren't really a problem, but rides from the airport that leave the driver far away from the airport and the city are the ones where they will trash your rating if you don't tip. Since Lyft allows you to tip within 24 hours of riding, I believe scores are truly independent of whether or not a tip is received.
A bank teller in my building drives for Uber and Lyft as a side job and said on a short haul he is content getting $2 or $3 (and someone tips a cab driver that or tips a valet that for retrieving their car then why not tip the uber driver). He told me he will always rate a tipping passenger 5 stars but normally 4 if they don't tip and if they want assistance with luggage or groceries and stiff him he rates them a 3. He also told me that if there are a lot of riders after an event like a ball game or a concert he will skip pings from lower rated passengers and only accept 4.9 so ratings and tips matter to experienced drivers. He said for someone just starting out they usually don't pay that close of attention to ratings. I figure if I am tipping a cab driver or giving a skyclub bartender a tip for getting me a pop then I can tip an uber driver
Old May 18, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
A few comments:

1) In most big cities, the drivers for Uber and Lyft are the same people, they drive for both.

2) Tipping: Lyft drivers do not know who tipped them, at least by name. When they see a report of their day, they can see which ride (pick up and drop off location) tipped, but no name. Uber refusing to add tipping to the app is really very frustrating. I personally want to tip but I refuse to turn what is supposed to be an easy cashless transaction into me digging around for singles. Get with it Uber, and very glad about Lyft & Delta.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:04 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
So I had four rides to/from airports yesterday and one ride in the city. A few of them have already posted. Miles are earned based on the pre-tip amount, rounded to the nearest dollar (up or down).
Old May 19, 2017, 8:05 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by salut0
I used it to my departure airport but not back from LGA today. Nothing will convince me to schlep out to that stupid parking lot and wait an extra 20 minutes, not even 3x DL miles.
Lyft picks up curbside at LGA, I've never waited more than 3 or 4 minutes, usually shorter than standing in the cab line.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: Delta DM
Does anyone know if this is expected to work if you are using Lyft Credit to pay for the ride?

I can't seem to find anything in the FAQs, and work provides me with quite a bit of Lyft credit per month, instead of paying on a card and then expensing it.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
A bank teller in my building drives for Uber and Lyft as a side job and said on a short haul he is content getting $2 or $3 (and someone tips a cab driver that or tips a valet that for retrieving their car then why not tip the uber driver). He told me he will always rate a tipping passenger 5 stars but normally 4 if they don't tip and if they want assistance with luggage or groceries and stiff him he rates them a 3. He also told me that if there are a lot of riders after an event like a ball game or a concert he will skip pings from lower rated passengers and only accept 4.9 so ratings and tips matter to experienced drivers. He said for someone just starting out they usually don't pay that close of attention to ratings. I figure if I am tipping a cab driver or giving a skyclub bartender a tip for getting me a pop then I can tip an uber driver
I don't disagree - I don't have an issue tipping $2 on a $10 ride, but I insist I have the ability to do that in app and not worry about cash.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:55 am

I'll echo everyone else, Uber needs to have the in app tipping.

I so rarely have cash, and often when I do, it's often only $20's and I'd rather not tip, than look super tacky asking for $15-17 back.

This may just cause me to shift my business to Lyft...I was already on the fence and this probably just put me over the top.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not to get too far off topic on this but a lot of people are saying they don't tip because they don't carry cash. I'm curious how you guys handle Vegas rides, do you just pay the $3 credit card fee since you don't have cash on you? Or how you handle skyclub bartender and hotel maid tips? Or do you just not tip since you don't have cash?

I've been to hotel restaurants before and have seen people who I assume are elites getting their breakfast comped at Hilton properties just leave without tipping. In the past I thought they were being cheap but I wonder now if it's just because people aren't carrying smaller bills and don't have cash on them to tip and are unable to charge the tip to the room.
Old May 19, 2017, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Not to get too far off topic on this but a lot of people are saying they don't tip because they don't carry cash. I'm curious how you guys handle Vegas rides, do you just pay the $3 credit card fee since you don't have cash on you? Or how you handle skyclub bartender and hotel maid tips? Or do you just not tip since you don't have cash?

I've been to hotel restaurants before and have seen people who I assume are elites getting their breakfast comped at Hilton properties just leave without tipping. In the past I thought they were being cheap but I wonder now if it's just because people aren't carrying smaller bills and don't have cash on them to tip and are unable to charge the tip to the room.
Personally, when I know I'm going to be at a place where cash tips are going to be necessary, I try to make sure I have small bills. But my wife and I share 1 car. Sometimes things come up that I have to take an Uber to work because my wife needs the car. I'm not going to run to the ATM and make a small purchase to get small bills when I find out I'm going to need an Uber at 10PM the night before.

But in general, I think a lot of people don't carry much cash anymore. It's not uncommon for me to go weeks without any cash or only a $20 in my wallet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.