Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Automatic Upgrade to C+

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Automatic Upgrade to C+

I just booked a flight to and from LAS through Concur. After the invoice was emailed to me about 10 minutes after booking, I went to delta.com to choose to be "upgraded" to C+ but I was already "upgraded" and C+ seats were selected for me. Even before Delta considered that an upgrade, I still had to go in and pick those seats after booking. Is this a fluke or a welcome change?
Old May 15, 2017, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by yohanson
I just booked a flight to and from LAS through Concur. After the invoice was emailed to me about 10 minutes after booking, I went to delta.com to choose to be "upgraded" to C+ but I was already "upgraded" and C+ seats were selected for me. Even before Delta considered that an upgrade, I still had to go in and pick those seats after booking. Is this a fluke or a welcome change?
This would be a decidedly UNwelcome change for me. There are many flights where I do not want the C+ UG because I have a more desirable seat in Main Cabin. For this reason, I have C+ upgrades defaulted to "not requested" on DL.com.

My company just started using Egencia and it sucks. I've noticed that when booking flights there, it automatically selects the boxes for both C+ and FC upgrades, ignoring DL.com settings. Luckily, something else is broken in the ticketing handoff, as I have to go in and uncheck, then re-check the C+ box to process/claim an available upgrade (or not re-check it if I want to stay in an exit row or whatever).

It'll be a mess if that starts being automatic, as it will mean a call to DL to get un-upgraded, and I suspect they'll have issues managing the ticket that was booked via an OTA. Grumble...

Didn't DL say a while back that they were going to improve the UG selections to allow people to specify they only wanted a C+ UG if it was to an aisle/window? Whatever happened with that?
Old May 15, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by gooselee
Didn't DL say a while back that they were going to improve the UG selections to allow people to specify they only wanted a C+ UG if it was to an aisle/window? Whatever happened with that?
it's in the never-never-land of all the other promised/threatened IT enhancements
Old May 15, 2017, 10:19 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Does your profile have the "request C+ upgrade" option selected?

Personally, I opt-out of automatic C+ upgrades and prefer to select on a flight-by-flight basis.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by TTT
Does your profile have the "request C+ upgrade" option selected?

Personally, I opt-out of automatic C+ upgrades and prefer to select on a flight-by-flight basis.
Nothing in my profile has changed in years. Perhaps something did change but I didn't do it.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Last night I made a reservation on delta.com for flights in a couple of weeks. As usual, the system didn't let me select C+ seats, but then at the end of the process I had already been upgraded to C+ without having to go back in and change the original seat assignments. The system automatically assigned me to the farthest forward aisle C+ seats. On one segment I changed the assignment because I preferred a C+ exit row window seat (19A on the 75D), but the other three were seats I would have selected. Of course, if there had not been a lot of empty C+ seats I would have been relegated to middle seats.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Nothing in my profile has changed in years. Perhaps something did change but I didn't do it.
If this is the case, Delta most likely automatically opted you in to the C+ updates by checking the box in your profile.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Same happened to me yesterday. I automatically was put in C+ when I wanted 21A or 21F on the 739. I would call to be un-upgraded now, but my preferred seats are no longer available.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
For those providing data points, I think it'd be helpful to make sure we include:
- Booking channel (DL.com vs. phone vs. OTA vs. corporate TA/portal)
- Status, though I assume this only impacts PM+ who can upgrade at booking
- Whether the C+ upgrade box is checked in your profile
- Whether your flights showed "UG available" on the flight selection screens at booking, if you checked
- Outcome: If you were auto-upgraded, when the UG occurred if it happened, if you had to intervene at all, etc.

If external booking engines are ignoring profile preferences, that could be quite annoying as it's forcing a choice that not everyone would make 100% of the time.

I'll go first:
- Booked through corporate portal (Egencia)
- PM
- UG box unchecked
- Flights showed UG to C+ available
- Was not auto-upgraded, but after ticketing noticed that both UG boxes were checked within my reservation. Had to uncheck, submit, re-check, then submit again in order to get the C+ UGs processed. I did all this within 10 mins of booking - not sure if the C+ seats would have cleared on their own later, but I wanted to go ahead and select the seats I wanted.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Navig8R
If this is the case, Delta most likely automatically opted you in to the C+ updates by checking the box in your profile.
I've been looking in my profile for 15 minutes and I can't find anything about C+ updates. Where should I be looking?
Old May 15, 2017, 2:39 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I've been looking in my profile for 15 minutes and I can't find anything about C+ updates. Where should I be looking?
My Delta - Profile - Flight Preferences (top, center) - Open - Medallion Complementary Upgrade Requests (top box) - Edit

From there, make your elections for both First and C+.
Old May 15, 2017, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
My Delta - Profile - Flight Preferences (top, center) - Open - Medallion Complementary Upgrade Requests (top box) - Edit

From there, make your elections for both First and C+.
Just the First Class is checked. I just booked another trip for tomorrow night. It did have C+ availability on both flights so we'll see if it happens again.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Ok, tomorrow's trip had the same thing happen. As soon as I got the invoice, I was "upgraded" to C+ and an upgrade to First is requested. This was booked through Concur.
Old May 15, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just the First Class is checked. I just booked another trip for tomorrow night. It did have C+ availability on both flights so we'll see if it happens again.
Ok, tomorrow's trip had the same thing happen. As soon as I got the invoice, I was "upgraded" to C+ and an upgrade to First is requested. This was booked through Concur.
Ugh...so Concur is doing for you the same thing that Egencia is doing for me.

This isn't a good thing, IMO. I'd much rather have DL apply the upgrade preferences we've set with them than override them with whatever blanked instruction is coming from a corporate booking portal.
Old May 16, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: DL DM/2 MM, AA, AS, UA, Marriott Plat, Priority Club Gold, SPG Gold, Avis First, Hilton Silver
Our company uses Concur also and this happened to me on three flights I booked this week. Like other have posted, I do not have the C+ checked on my profile as I prefer the exist row.

Frankly, Comfort + is a joke now that they've started serving food throughout the cabin on transcon flights. Also, it's important to look at the fine print when reading the description of Comfort +. from the Delta website: "Delta Comfort+ gives you space, with up to 3 more inches...." If Comfort+ only has an additional half inch, they've met the terms of the offer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.