FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   TN award availability Expert Flyer vs Delta? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1842220-tn-award-availability-expert-flyer-vs-delta.html)

Flyfish81 May 12, 2017 1:25 pm

TN award availability Expert Flyer vs Delta?

Hi all,
I have searched and searched and cannot find the answer so I'm going to ask here.

We have a round trip award ticket LAX-PPT booked on TN using sky miles. I am attempting to book the return in business class. Expert flyer now suddenly shows 3 available seats in 'I' class. I assumed that this meant I could book the business award from DL, but they are not able to see the inventory. Does anyone know if there is a different class of inventory other than 'I' that I should be looking for? I really don't feel up to calling DL agents every day for months in a row to score a business class ticket, so will probably sit in coach if there's no way to see inventory on expert flyer. Thanks all

DLMiddleSeats May 12, 2017 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Flyfish81 (Post 28304070)
Hi all,
I have searched and searched and cannot find the answer so I'm going to ask here.

We have a round trip award ticket LAX-PPT booked on TN using sky miles. I am attempting to book the return in business class. Expert flyer now suddenly shows 3 available seats in 'I' class. I assumed that this meant I could book the business award from DL, but they are not able to see the inventory. Does anyone know if there is a different class of inventory other than 'I' that I should be looking for? I really don't feel up to calling DL agents every day for months in a row to score a business class ticket, so will probably sit in coach if there's no way to see inventory on expert flyer. Thanks all

First let me say I really have no idea how EF works.

Second. I believe that I class is what you're looking for with TN flights on DL.

I wonder if the data is cached in EF and by the time you get to DL it's gone, or was never really there.

DLMiddleSeats May 12, 2017 2:27 pm

Added thought...are you looking at an additional flight beyond LAX? It may be available point to point but not as married segments.

flyerCO May 12, 2017 2:30 pm

EF is love data. However even if that is correct inventory doesn't mean they make it available to all partners.

Christefan May 12, 2017 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Flyfish81 (Post 28304070)
Hi all,

Not sure why you are looking at "I" class for award classes on Delta. Delta's lowest level award classes are R O N (F/C/Y) which EF will show you. As soon as you need more miles EF will no longer be able to show availability. The easiest way to check for award inventory is on delta.com which will also show you the required miles.

3Cforme May 12, 2017 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Christefan (Post 28304985)
Not sure why you are looking at "I" class for award classes on Delta.

TN's booking code for business award inventory is I. It can be handy to use ExpertFlyer's award alert service for the operating carrier instead of checking delta.com multiple times a day hoping award inventory has been added.

flyerCO May 12, 2017 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Christefan (Post 28304985)
Not sure why you are looking at "I" class for award classes on Delta. Delta's lowest level award classes are R O N (F/C/Y) which EF will show you. As soon as you need more miles EF will no longer be able to show availability. The easiest way to check for award inventory is on delta.com which will also show you the required miles.

Awards always book under the operator airline code. Thus what DL uses is irrelevant.

ExpertFlyer Voice May 12, 2017 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28305189)
Awards always book under the operator airline code. Thus what DL uses is irrelevant.

Correct

Originally Posted by DLMiddleSeats (Post 28304273)
First let me say I really have no idea how EF works.

Second. I believe that I class is what you're looking for with TN flights on DL.

I wonder if the data is cached in EF and by the time you get to DL it's gone, or was never really there.

ExpertFlyer gets our data direct from the global reservation systems. The data is not cached.

We know the TN award inventory is accurate because AA can see the same inventory that TN publishes.

WidgetTravels May 13, 2017 8:38 am

TN is the last partner airline that Res Agents have to long sell. Agents cannot see real time availability and must long sell and wait for a response from TN.

Long Sell is done so infrequently that many agents may not think to do it unless the term is specifically mentioned to them.

flyerCO May 13, 2017 8:45 am

Originally Posted by WidgetTravels (Post 28306763)
TN is the last partner airline that Res Agents have to long sell. Agents cannot see real time availability and must long sell and wait for a response from TN.

Long Sell is done so infrequently that many agents may not think to do it unless the term is specifically mentioned to them.

What is the process for KQ? I heard something about direct access, but have no clue what it means. Otherwise get response the link is down.

WidgetTravels May 13, 2017 9:49 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28306782)
What is the process for KQ? I heard something about direct access, but have no clue what it means. Otherwise get response the link is down.

KQ, OK, and UX need to be booked via what's called Direct Access. It's not a separate program, but the booking process is different compared to long selling.

Flyfish81 May 13, 2017 11:54 am

Thanks for all the responses. I am not aware of any way to see TN award flights on delta.com, please correct me if I'm missing something on that.

I believe the availability was there but the 3 DL agents I tried were not able to book it. Anyway, the seats are no longer showing on expert flyer so looks like someone was able to get them. Will keep my monitoring and update if I find something that may help others in the future. Thanks again. What I hear from this thread is to request a long sell or direct access.

3Cforme May 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by WidgetTravels (Post 28306956)
KQ, OK, and UX need to be booked via what's called Direct Access. It's not a separate program, but the booking process is different compared to long selling.

KQ and UX are interesting exceptions. Delta.com says they are bookable online - but I do not find any award inventory in any class, even short-haul, on delta.com.

Airlines included in SkyMiles Award Travel: Delta Air Lines, Delta Connection carriers Compass Airlines, Endeavor Air, Inc. ExpressJet Airlines, Inc., GoJet Airlines, Shuttle America, and SkyWest, Aeroflot, Aerolineas Argentinas, Aeromexico, AirEuropa, Air France, Air Tahiti Nui*, Alitalia, China Airlines, China Eastern, China Southern, Czech Airlines*, Garuda Indonesia, GOL, Great Lakes, Hawaiian Airlines*, Jet Airways, Kenya Airways, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Korean Air, Mandarin Airlines, Middle East Airlines, Saudia Airlines, Shanghai Airlines, Tarom Airlines, Vietnam Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, Virgin Australia, WestJet and Xiamen Airlines

Sufficient miles within your SkyMiles account are required to redeem miles toward Award Travel. To shop for Award Travel on delta.com select ‘Book SkyMiles Award Ticket’ when initiating your flight search. Once you’ve selected your itinerary and logged into your SkyMiles account, you’ll be asked to pay for the flights you selected.

*To book, contact your local office. Hawaiian Airlines Awards are limited to inter-Hawaiian Islands itineraries

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...rd-travel.html

flyerCO May 13, 2017 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by WidgetTravels (Post 28306956)

Could you explain what it is? I was trying to book KQ flights and the agent had no clue.

Flyfish81 Jul 9, 2017 9:06 am

Just to update....I called the diamond line another 10 times or so over the next few weeks. Expert flyer continued to show business class availability and DL agents continued to say there was none. I asked one employee how she was searching and if there were any other ways to check, to which she responded that she's been working there many years and if there was a way to do it she would know. Finally found an agent that knew the process and she was able to get the seats. She said they just have to manually request from TN. My takeaway, expert flyer has the correct info, be persistent in calling DL when you see space open up because the seat should be able to be booked using miles.