Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why Do I Have to Wait for a Bartender for a Diet Coke in the Skyclub?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Non-US carriers don't seem to bother with bartenders in their clubs - the bottles are just out (OK, don't tell me how I'm wrong on this point even if I am, it's not the point of the post.)

The Skyclubs have bartenders - but also make you see the bartender for non-alcoholic drinks. Why?

I assume it's not about reducing consumption - soda from a machine is cheap.

In fact, I suspect that many customers who would just grab a soda if they didn't have to wait for a bartender end up ordering alcohol if they are forced to deal with a bartender. So this practice might actually cost Delta money.
jamesteroh, Sealink and Glenn90 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No bartenders or waiting at the 4 DTW clubs (or MSP C club, and NRT). There's probably a few others out there.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
DL's bar experience is really fragmented. Most of the PMNW clubs don't have bartenders, which I don't really get since we're approaching the 10 year mark since the merger. Some of the ATL clubs used to have Freestyle machines, but they pulled them for some reason.

I'm hoping that the DCA club will get a soda machine, since that bar line can get long, but I'm not optimistic.
universitylad likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Probably not adding value here but I agree 100% with this complaint. I just don't get beverages at Skyclubs (except those that have soda machines.. there are a few) because it's a pain to deal with a bartender. I'm sure you can bend over backwards to explain why they don't have self-service alcohol at a lot of places but I can't for the life of me figure out why the damn soda machine is behind the bar.
Grog, michael_v and jamesteroh like this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
Probably not adding value here but I agree 100% with this complaint. I just don't get beverages at Skyclubs (except those that have soda machines.. there are a few) because it's a pain to deal with a bartender. I'm sure you can bend over backwards to explain why they don't have self-service alcohol at a lot of places but I can't for the life of me figure out why the damn soda machine is behind the bar.
I'm not a big soda person (iced tea normally), but sometimes I just want a Coke.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Non-US carriers don't seem to bother with bartenders in their clubs - the bottles are just out (OK, don't tell me how I'm wrong on this point even if I am, it's not the point of the post.)

The Skyclubs have bartenders - but also make you see the bartender for non-alcoholic drinks. Why?

I assume it's not about reducing consumption - soda from a machine is cheap.

In fact, I suspect that many customers who would just grab a soda if they didn't have to wait for a bartender end up ordering alcohol if they are forced to deal with a bartender. So this practice might actually cost Delta money.
The underlying logic:

1) Income must be maximized and costs minimized.
2) Customers will blindly cooperate with 1) regardless of customer service cuts.
Grog and AceReport like this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:36 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I hate it when the bartender seems to pour on the over-the-top charm when I order a Coke Zero, and I can sense a frown / pout when he / she hears that it's not an alcoholic drink, probably thinking - - - Here's another no-tipper!

That's why I LUUUV the new self serve iced tea dispensers!
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
The underlying logic:

1) Income must be maximized and costs minimized.
2) Customers will blindly cooperate with 1) regardless of customer service cuts.
But that's what I don't get. Bartenders are expensive. Having a bartender raises costs. One can argue that by making people wait in line for coke zero it means that they end up saving money on alcohol costs (due to people not wanting to wait in line).. but that is a stretch at best.

It seems like it's just Delta's culture to avoid letting people do self-service on anything. Need to do a same-day change? Call in! Need to remove yourself from the C+ upgrade list? Call in! Need to change your flight? Call in, because the website/app will error out! Want a diet coke? Ask the bartender!
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I loved when they had the fancy machine in ATL A.

Seems like every time they try something I like, they get rid of it! (cranberry cookies!)
davetravels likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
I hate it when the bartender seems to pour on the over-the-top charm when I order a Coke Zero, and I can sense a frown / pout when he / she hears that it's not an alcoholic drink, probably thinking - - - Here's another no-tipper!

That's why I LUUUV the new self serve iced tea dispensers!
I don't really care what the bartender thinks. I'm not tipping for a soda.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by ethernal
But that's what I don't get. Bartenders are expensive. Having a bartender raises costs. One can argue that by making people wait in line for coke zero it means that they end up saving money on alcohol costs (due to people not wanting to wait in line).. but that is a stretch at best.

It seems like it's just Delta's culture to avoid letting people do self-service on anything. Need to do a same-day change? Call in! Need to remove yourself from the C+ upgrade list? Call in! Need to change your flight? Call in, because the website/app will error out! Want a diet coke? Ask the bartender!
Two reasons for bartenders:

1) You can't sell over-priced premium beverages without one.
2) Have you never seen anyone make repeated trips to a club self-service bar, only to return to a discrete corner of the club in order to fill a water bottle with free spirits?

Keep in mind that the club bartenders are contract employees, not DL employees. I doubt that any of the bartenders are funding top-of-the-line BMWs on their salaries.

Having a separate self-serve soda machine** removes the possibility that someone, after waiting in line, will end up saying, "What the hell... I'll buy an XXX"... especially after they see what the non-XXX alternatives are.

** In ATL, it would be a coke machine. JFK, a soda machine. MSP, a pop machine. The Pop vs. Soda Page
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:07 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
They will have a hard time keeping bartenders if they can't get enough tips. Driving soda through them may be the only way to keep a full-service bar viable.

In any case, there are vending machines in the concourse.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
They will have a hard time keeping bartenders if they can't get enough tips. Driving soda through them may be the only way to keep a full-service bar viable.

In any case, there are vending machines in the concourse.
Really? I had no idea. Can I use my DL Reserve card to get free drinks from them?
Grog, eastindywalrus and DCP2016 like this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:13 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
The weird thing is that this forum is literally littered with complaints about how low-rent the skyclubs are, when Delta does something to move them upmarket, we get complaints that the clubs aren't slummy enough.

Originally Posted by WWads
Really?
Uh, really! Vote with your feet.

"The clubs are DUMPS!"

"We want a FANCY club... BUT we want a big taco bell soda fountain in the middle of it!"
jdrtravel likes this.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 14, 2018 at 3:59 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:16 pm

Did that really require three separate posts?

A Freestyle machine would be reasonable, and would blend in fine with the decor of the SC.

Coke makes smaller versions that take up very little space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.