Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta's revamped 777s will have just 28 J seats

Delta's revamped 777s will have just 28 J seats

Old May 10, 2017, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Striple
Really not too surprised here. I think I've seen a few guesses on the A350 layouts, and those will have more more J seats.

For me, D1 is usually too much for me to buy, but PE should be doable, I think a lot of people will fall into this category.
Here's the FAA waiver request for the A350, from last year.

https://www.regulations.gov/contentStreamer?documentId=FAA-2016-7400-0004&attachmentNumber=1&contentType=pdf

32J, 48W, 226Y for a total of 306 passengers, the new largest plane in the fleet.

I dont know what A350 layouts look like well enough to accurately predict how it breaks down, but my guess would be eight rows of J in 1-2-1, six rows of W in 2-4-2, and then somewhere around 26 rows of Y in 3-3-3, with the last some in a tighter configuration.

Last edited by jrkmsp; May 10, 2017 at 5:30 am
Old May 10, 2017, 5:30 am

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
What exactly do you think is unsafe about the coach cabin?
I am not saying it is not safe, but the whole Delta premise of going to 28J is to improve safety in J cabin but making no corresponding improvement in safety to the Y cabin.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:03 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
I am not saying it is not safe, but the whole Delta premise of going to 28J is to improve safety in J cabin but making no corresponding improvement in safety to the Y cabin.
This is completely missing the forest for the trees. The entire discussion of safety in the filing is to receive relief from the rule that bans doors between passengers and exits. Delta is justifying, in a regulatory sense, why they can have doors and still safely evacuate the J cabin. It has absolutely nothing to do with Y safety or reducing J to 28 pax for safety reasons. They've reduced J because that's the configuration they've chosen from a revenue management standpoint and now the lawyers are making sure the government authorizes it.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
The quality of thinking behind that is really dismaying.

We all live with choices every day that are assessed as 'safe enough.' Taking a ride in somebody's 15-year old car that doesn't have a stability control system + side curtain airbags. Getting a flu shot. Getting cosmetic surgery.
Moving to cross a street when the oncoming car 100 yards away has a red light but hasn't yet come to a full stop...

There are experts with deep, deep knowledge whose job is to evaluate aircraft safety. Boeing's type certificate for the 777-200LR cites max passenger capacity at 440. Let's do that again: 440 vs. the OP's declaration of 296. I think Delta's proposed config will be safe enough in all cabins. The FAA wouldn't let Delta fly it otherwise.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/8bff0e63469dd8eb862580190055ffa6/$FILE/T00001SE_Rev40.pdf
Old May 10, 2017, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I think the bigger point that is being missed here and only mentioned I think by one post, is that you can kiss your chances goodbye of using a GUC to clear into J. Do you actually think there will be any advance upgrade space?

By killing C+ they are making all pax pay a significant premium for W, or have DMs use a precious GUC for those seats. Overall this is not a good situation for frequent flyers. Basically the GUC now becomes an upgrade tool for getting from a horrid C- sardine seat to domestic F, whereas it used to be from C+ to lie-flat J.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is an enormous disenhancement to the value of DM status.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:52 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bennos
While I don't question the analysis, 28J/48W just seems out of line with most of the rest of the industry. If they do roll that out, I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of subsequent reconfiguration.

For comparison, AF has 772s with 49J/24W, 35J/24W, and 40J/24W (ignoring the COI config, and P seating). VS doesn't operate the 772, but their 789 is 31J/35W and their A346 is 45J/38W. Other carriers follow similar patterns.

Of course 28J means your GUCs won't clear and today's ridiculous J award pricing will seems cheap.
AF also has 28J on the most recently configured 772.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by bennos
Of course 28J means your GUCs won't clear and today's ridiculous J award pricing will seems cheap.
Isn't that the point -- force those "upgrading" with miles or certificates into premium economy while keeping enough business-class seats for paying passengers? Seems perfectly logical to me.

I paid $7,000 to fly Delta's 747 business-class from DTW to NRT recently. My colleague did as well. I'm sure there are plenty of others willing to pay because of corporate expense accounts/billable clients.

If anything, it makes Delta's business-class more exclusive, which is what Delta wants.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not sure how it makes it exclusive... you're still on a tube with ~300 other pax.
All it does is likely pushes the pricing up higher, while the rest get to fight over the W seats.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is an enormous disenhancement to the value of DM status.
Exactly! Contrast that with the upgradeability of the 60-seat J United flies on the 777-300.

Of course, that seatmap looks horrid- like sardines up front.

Wouldn't this affect NRSA pax more, though? GUC upgrades would still likely clear at the gate for DMs, but I agree. If I'm flying up front, and I know in advance, there is a different routine than if it's a gate/battlefield upgrade scenario.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:38 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by SeaHawg

Wouldn't this affect NRSA pax more, though? GUC upgrades would still likely clear at the gate for DMs
Some GUC upgrades will still clear, but on the margin, it will be fewer. There's no way around it. Yes, NSRA will be affected more, but DMs using GUCs are going to get bit by this, and quite a bit.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rylan
I think the bigger point that is being missed here and only mentioned I think by one post, is that you can kiss your chances goodbye of using a GUC to clear into J. Do you actually think there will be any advance upgrade space?

By killing C+ they are making all pax pay a significant premium for W, or have DMs use a precious GUC for those seats. Overall this is not a good situation for frequent flyers. Basically the GUC now becomes an upgrade tool for getting from a horrid C- sardine seat to domestic F, whereas it used to be from C+ to lie-flat J.
This is the number one reason I posted this.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rylan
Not sure how it makes it exclusive... you're still on a tube with ~300 other pax.
All it does is likely pushes the pricing up higher, while the rest get to fight over the W seats.
Well, if everyone in the J cabin paid $7,000, then people in the J cabin can have nice things!
Old May 10, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Exactly! Contrast that with the upgradeability of the 60-seat J United flies on the 777-300.

Of course, that seatmap looks horrid- like sardines up front.
Yes, and that's why I fly DL: good chance of "leisure" business fares or relatively good GUC usage. If that is no longer possible, I'll join the sardines at UA! No question there for me - I won't pay $7k for J and I won't fly TATL or TPAC in steerage, haven't done for years.
Old May 10, 2017, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
What Delta could do here is allow your global upgrade certificate to clear into premium-economy and then waitlist for business-class, depending on availability. That's the fair thing to do. Unfortunately, they've stated that once your global upgrade certificate clears into premium-economy it cannot further upgrade you into business-class, even if there's an empty seat.

Additionally, someone flying premium-economy between Detroit-Tokyo should get a seat in business-class/domestic first-class for intra-Asia flights, like Tokyo-Guam, Tokyo-Singapore or Tokyo-Manila, if there are seats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.