Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MD88 overhead bin on 2-seat side?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

MD88 overhead bin on 2-seat side?

I couldn't find anything on this, other than the standard Delta language that says carryon's of 22x14x9.

1) On the MD88, there's the 3-seat side and 2-seat side. Are the overhead bins smaller on the 2-seat side? (I thought I read somewhere that they are).

2) If so, can that side hold a swissgear "20 inch" carryon? I say "20" because that's the dimensions if you don't count the wheels. I believe it's basically 23" tall with wheels. We're on the 2-seat side in case anyone couldn't tell by my questions.

Thanks!
Old May 9, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I have a 20" Travelpro and it can only fit sideways on the 2 side. Definitely smaller.

Bins are a joke on that side for the amount of carry ons encountered today with the pay per bag fees.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
1. Yes.
2. No.

My bag measures 19.5" including wheels and handles and squeezes in with <1" to spare on the short side of the MDs. And it's not too deep so it slides further back before hitting the curve at the back of the bin. If yours is 23" overall it definitely will not fit.

If you're not checking it, you can/should put your bag in a bin across the aisle from you.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:18 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Most normal carry-on roller suitcases will fit wheels-first on the 3-seat side, but will not fit wheels-first on the 2-seat side.

Though most normal carry-ons are also more like 22" tall, not 23" tall, so it's possible the 23" tall bag won't fit wheels-first on the 3-seat side either. But I think you may be exaggerating, 3 extra inches would be some big wheels. Most likely it will fit wheels-first on the 3-seat side, which is the best place for it.

But if there isn't room over there, most MD-88 flights go out with a bunch of bags sideways on the 2-seat side too, so don't feel too bad about that if it comes to it.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA PLT, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime PLT
Also, you can store your bag on either side, it doesn't matter which side you are sitting on
Old May 9, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Should fit. I shove a ThinkTank Airport Security loaded with Camera gear on both sides. So a 'standard' roller should be no issue at all.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
My 20x14x9 TravelPro Maxlite fits easily wheels first on the A-C side and easily sideways on the D-E side. I used to travel with a 22" and that took a little more effort, but still worked. Just don't try to use the bins over the window exits where the in-ceiling life raft protrudes downward causing the bin doors to not open as high.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Your roll-aboard should fit on the 2 seat side - you will just have to turn it sideways. This isn't a big deal. Yes, sideways it takes up more space but there also 1/3rd less seats on the 2 side so turning your bag sideways isn't a huge deal.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Your roll-aboard should fit on the 2 seat side - you will just have to turn it sideways. This isn't a big deal. Yes, sideways it takes up more space but there also 1/3rd less seats on the 2 side so turning your bag sideways isn't a huge deal.
I would still encourage people to try to find a spot on the 3-side first. Folks like me who travel with little bags appreciate being able to squeeze our stuff in on the 2 side, and a sideways roller ends up wasting quite a bit of space.
Old May 10, 2017, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by gooselee
I would still encourage people to try to find a spot on the 3-side first. Folks like me who travel with little bags appreciate being able to squeeze our stuff in on the 2 side, and a sideways roller ends up wasting quite a bit of space.
My guess is it balances out, because the 3 side of the MD-88 has basically the same bin space as the 3 side of a 737/757/etc. But if a person on the 2 side puts their roll-a-board on the 3 side, the people on the 3 side now have less space total.

Pitch on a the MD-88 is 32"' so let's use that as bin space put row. On the 3 side, where roll-a-boards can be put in with the 14" as the best use of space, you can get 2.28 bags per row - for 3 pax on that side. Ratio: 0.76. On the two side where you have to put it sideways, thus 22 inches, you can get 1.45 bags per row with 2 pax per row. Ratio: 0.725

Again, yes having to turn the bag sideways takes up "50%" more length of the bin, but there also 50% more people on the other side of the plane, so I think it comes close enough to balancing out to where I don't worry about it.
Old May 10, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
My guess is it balances out, because the 3 side of the MD-88 has basically the same bin space as the 3 side of a 737/757/etc. But if a person on the 2 side puts their roll-a-board on the 3 side, the people on the 3 side now have less space total.

Pitch on a the MD-88 is 32"' so let's use that as bin space put row. On the 3 side, where roll-a-boards can be put in with the 14" as the best use of space, you can get 2.28 bags per row - for 3 pax on that side. Ratio: 0.76. On the two side where you have to put it sideways, thus 22 inches, you can get 1.45 bags per row with 2 pax per row. Ratio: 0.725

Again, yes having to turn the bag sideways takes up "50%" more length of the bin, but there also 50% more people on the other side of the plane, so I think it comes close enough to balancing out to where I don't worry about it.
It balances out overall, but I have been on many M88s where I'm sitting there as the bins are filling up, and a seatmate arrives to find the bins in our row "full".

If I have noticed there is a sideways bag on the 2 side and I had put my bag on the 3 side, I immediately speak up and say that we should swap them. Big bag gets put wheels first on the 3 side, my bag gets moved to wheels first on the 2 side, and magically there is a brand new "slot" on the 2 side next to my bag. Seatmates bag goes there if it fits, or some other small stuff gets moved across, and everyone is happy.

I don't doubt the math on the macro level, but I've seen it make a huge difference on the micro level. If someone has both options when they arrive at their seat, why not choose the more efficient one?
Old May 10, 2017, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks all! Worst case (it appears to be a rather full flight currently, but still have a tad under 2 months to go), I'll ask the nice FA for assistance. I didn't want to hog the 3-seat side and be rude.
Old May 10, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I wouldn't worry about it... FAs are well aware of the smaller side and I regularly hear announcements that carryons need to be put sideways to fit there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.