Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Screwed on a global upgrade - has this happened to anyone

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta

Hi All -

One of the perks I enjoy the most from Delta as a Diamond is the 4 Global upgrades I can select.

I fly back and forth to Sydney a few times a year and on the way to Sydney from LAX I like the sleepers - and on the flight back I don't need it as it is a day-time flight and I can't sleep anyway.

On one of my recent flights, they upgraded me to Sydney from LAX, and then I was in Comfort on my return flight. Delta, however, maintains that they upgraded me and burned one of my upgrade certs for it. I've asked them to tell me what my seat assignments were for that flight - and they replied with the following:

"As you requested, we have again reviewed the matter to see if we overlooked anything that might support a more favorable conclusion.
Unfortunately, there is nothing we can add to what has already been stated in our previous correspondence. Please know that any further communications would be repetitive and likely would not prove to be productive.

Please accept our apology for the unfavorable impression you received in this instance. We appreciate your selection of Delta and will always consider it a privilege to be of service."

I've asked again for them to let me know what seats they show me being assigned in the hope that they recognize that this was not an upgraded flight - but that message doesn't give me a lot of hope.

Anyone out there know whether they store that kind of data for historical reference??
Old May 9, 2017, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Sounds like the data they have indicates you were upgraded. Do you happen to have your boarding pass from the return flight you can send them?
Old May 9, 2017, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately I don't - this was back on January 1st - I didn't realize it had been taken until I went to book another flight.

I should point out that when I spoke to customer service agents BEFORE it got kicked over to the "Contact Delta" e-mail black hole, they indicated that they could see I wasn't upgraded and that they would have it corrected..... which is why I don't buy this.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is there a chance that DL is talking about an "upgrade" to C+ and somehow used a GUC for this, while you obviously mean upgrades to D1?

ADDED: Can you try calling the DM line instead of using the email address that seems to be getting canned responses?
Old May 9, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Look in your receipts on DL.com. I believe every time a ticket is reissued, and IIRC a GUC upgrade would require a reissue (unlike domestic medallion UGs).

Either way, the receipt for the completed flight would show FLWN and the final seat assignment on it. At least, it does for mine...
Old May 9, 2017, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gooselee
Look in your receipts on DL.com. I believe every time a ticket is reissued, and IIRC a GUC upgrade would require a reissue (unlike domestic medallion UGs).

Either way, the receipt for the completed flight would show FLWN and the final seat assignment on it. At least, it does for mine...

Good idea - I'll try that now!!
Old May 9, 2017, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

OK - so the above suggestion was interesting - the way it looks is this:

Top Line: Date, Trip Details, and then a ticket number.

First Leg: Date, Airports, and then a different ticket number - I suspect that this is the re-issue for the upgrade:

Return Leg: Date, Airports, and then THE SAME as the SECOND - which seems to indicate there wasn't a re-issue - which indicates that there was no upgrade.

thank you - armed with this I will continue to pursue.
Old May 9, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by spenditonfoody
OK - so the above suggestion was interesting - the way it looks is this:

Top Line: Date, Trip Details, and then a ticket number.

First Leg: Date, Airports, and then a different ticket number - I suspect that this is the re-issue for the upgrade:

Return Leg: Date, Airports, and then THE SAME as the SECOND - which seems to indicate there wasn't a re-issue - which indicates that there was no upgrade.

thank you - armed with this I will continue to pursue.
Is this all in one receipt? IME, DL.com will only show flights together if they are associated with the same ticket/ticket #. What does the "Status" column show for the two legs?

You want to find the receipt where Status=FLWN, as that was the ticket actually "redeemed" for your travel on the flight in question. Then over on the right it should show the actual seat assignment.

When one leg of your itinerary gets upgraded (most common for me is in the event of an SDC), that leg of the trip changes from OPEN to EXCH, and then a new receipt/ticket is issued which will show the new flight (or booking class) as well as OPEN or FLWN, depending on whether you've taken the flight or not.

ETA: Re-reading your post, I'm confused as to why ticket numbers appear so many times. On my receipts on DL.com, the ticket number only appears once.

This is going to get garbled on FT, but here's what I see when looking up a past trip:
Date Of Purchase: Mar 24, 2017
Atlanta, GA to To Philadelphia, PA

Passenger Information
GOOSE LEE Confirmation Number: ABCDEF
SkyMiles#: 1234567890 Ticket Number: 0061234567890

Flight

DATE AND FLIGHT STATUS CLASS SEAT/CABIN
ATL To to PHL | Mon 27Mar2017 | DL 1234 | FLWN M 18C
PHL To to ATL | Wed 29Mar2017 | DL 4321 | FLWN W 14C
The only numbers that appear next to specific flights/legs are the DL flight numbers (in this example, DL1234 and DL4321).

I would only see additional ticket numbers (which start with 006) if there were more than one passenger on the receipt.

Last edited by gooselee; May 9, 2017 at 3:54 pm
Old May 9, 2017, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

ETA: Re-reading your post, I'm confused as to why ticket numbers appear so many times. On my receipts on DL.com, the ticket number only appears once.

This is going to get garbled on FT, but here's what I see when looking up a past trip:

The only numbers that appear next to specific flights/legs are the DL flight numbers (in this example, DL1234 and DL4321).

I would only see additional ticket numbers (which start with 006) if there were more than one passenger on the receipt.[/QUOTE]

So I was looking at Account Activity - your other comments made me look for receipts specifically (derp) and IT WAS PERFECT - It shows distinctly my seat assignements for the legs and clearly indicates I was in 29C and was upgraded the first leg.

I've sent a screen shot to customer service and have asked that they have a manager contact me as this is just completely clear.

I really appreciate your help!!

LAX To to SYD | Thu 22Dec2016 | DL 41 | FLWN OP
SYD To to LAX | Sun 01Jan2017 | DL 40 | FLWN WU 29C
Old May 9, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In response to post #8 by gooselee above:

In the above example, the letter after the word FLWN is the class, M for pretty expensive coach and W for C+. If you were upgraded, I would expect to see OP (or maybe just O) here.

BTW, does anyone know for sure whether a gate upgrade using a GUC must necessarily involve reissuing the ticket with a new ticket number? Can a GA take a shortcut and just revalidate the ticket when the upgrade clears at the gate?
Old May 9, 2017, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I was looking at Account Activity - your other comments made me look for receipts specifically (derp) and IT WAS PERFECT - It shows distinctly my seat assignements for the legs and clearly indicates I was in 29C and was upgraded the first leg.

I've sent a screen shot to customer service and have asked that they have a manager contact me as this is just completely clear.

Ahh, makes sense. Save that PDF!

And yes, I was about to follow up that if you had been upgraded to DeltaOne using a GUC, your return segment should have shown "OP" under the "Class".

Based on what you've posted, it's very clear that you were upgraded using an instrument (a GUC in this case) on LAX>SYD. On SYD>LAX, you received a medallion upgrade to Comfort+ (indicated by WU), but no instrument was redeemed.

You're in the right. Don't be afraid to politely escalate when you call/email back to get it resolved.

Last edited by gooselee; May 9, 2017 at 4:08 pm Reason: fixing quote tag
Old May 9, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the above example, the letter after the word FLWN is the class, M for pretty expensive coach and W for C+. If you were upgraded, I would expect to see OP (or maybe just O) here.

BTW, does anyone know for sure whether a gate upgrade using a GUC must necessarily involve reissuing the ticket with a new ticket number? Can a GA take a shortcut and just revalidate the ticket when the upgrade clears at the gate?
The example with M/W classes was mine, not OP's (OP as in original poster, not the booking class ).

On that ticket, I indeed had a very expensive M fare as a result of booking just a couple days before, and I purchased C+ on the return to have SDC flexibility.

I looked as some past receipts of mine where I'd successfully used RUCs and the receipt is updated to show RP after FLWN. My memory is a bit hazy on those, but most of my RUCs have cleared at the gate so it would be blind luck if I stumbled upon the only two that had happened to clear in advance.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:07 pm

Could there be a later receipt? It also looks strange that there's no seat assignment shown for the outbound segment in D1, class OP.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
The example with M/W classes was mine, not OP's (OP as in original poster, not the booking class ).

On that ticket, I indeed had a very expensive M fare as a result of booking just a couple days before, and I purchased C+ on the return to have SDC flexibility.

I looked as some past receipts of mine where I'd successfully used RUCs and the receipt is updated to show RP after FLWN. My memory is a bit hazy on those, but most of my RUCs have cleared at the gate so it would be blind luck if I stumbled upon the only two that had happened to clear in advance.
I understand that; I was just trying to add a further explanation to your excellent directions and example.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could there be a later receipt? It also looks strange that there's no seat assignment shown for the outbound segment in D1, class OP.
If there was a later receipt, one of those legs would have shown EXCH to represent that another ticket was issued for one of those flights.

Though I agree that the missing seat assignment on the outbound seems odd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.