Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Account weirdness today

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
But there must be some system. What determines who gets the upgrade if you are waitlisted when attempting to use a GUC/RUC?
I'm probably making things up and spreading vicious rumors but I thought I had read in the past, from a GUC waitlist perspective, the order is whoever is on the waitlist first.
Old May 9, 2017, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
The CBs granted for the error status were for 2017 (and didn't include things like the new SC membership as a choice). If they re-earn DM/PM this year, they will get CBs for 2018. So...yes.

This is true when on a waitlist. However, it might be possible for a PM to confirm a GUC at booking, and then a day later a DM books and the RP space is no longer available. And perhaps RP space never opens up again and the cabin books full in the meantime.

End result is the PM who never actually attained DM status got to redeem a GUC and a DM, who otherwise would have gotten that last RP spot, sits in the back.
Do we know that the waitlist for instrument supported upgrades is prioritized by status? AFAIK DL has never published anything about the rules for this.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do we know that the waitlist for instrument supported upgrades is prioritized by status? AFAIK DL has never published anything about the rules for this.
my experience shows that it is indeed prioritized by status, same way as complimentary UGs.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee
I'm probably making things up and spreading vicious rumors but I thought I had read in the past, from a GUC waitlist perspective, the order is whoever is on the waitlist first.
Either way, the presence of GUCs in the hands of pax who did not actually earn them means that in a zero-sum game of available seats, there are very realistic scenarios in which a DM does not get an upgrade because a non-DM has already taken it.

There are posts in this very thread of people who claimed GUCs over the weekend and have already applied them to future flights. I have never been a DM (and don't expect/want to get there anytime soon), yet I could have obtained and apparently applied GUCs over the weekend had I chosen to do so.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Either way, the presence of GUCs in the hands of pax who did not actually earn them means that in a zero-sum game of available seats, there are very realistic scenarios in which a DM does not get an upgrade because a non-DM has already taken it.

There are posts in this very thread of people who claimed GUCs over the weekend and have already applied them to future flights. I have never been a DM (and don't expect/want to get there anytime soon), yet I could have obtained and apparently applied GUCs over the weekend had I chosen to do so.
Good for you for behaving honorably. Really. I admire it given that you seem to have been aware that you could have claimed and attempted to use those GUCs.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Just received email from Delta:
Received the same email. If you call the 800 number listed, you get a series of choices, none of which relates at all to this situation. So not sure why you would call that number "if you have any questions or concerns..."

I classify this as a telephone customer service fail after an IT fail. Fail * Fail = Fail^2
Old May 9, 2017, 11:22 am

Is the number in the email a number for SkyMiles service or does it lead to the general post-flight customer service group in Atlanta, the outfit that previously had the (404) number?
Old May 9, 2017, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Good for you for behaving honorably. Really. I admire it given that you seem to have been aware that you could have claimed and attempted to use those GUCs.
If I'm being honest, it was partially self-serving. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't want to rock the boat and give DL any excuse for making me keep DM at the expense of my rollover miles. I need those rollover miles to maintain PM for 2018, as 2017 is going to be a slow travel year for me (local client, other life events, etc.).

I did get the same email from DL earlier today with a subject of "Gooselee, Our Apologies". I noticed that in a hilarious full-circle of DL IT, the alt-text for the "WE MADE A MISTAKE." image actually reads "WE MISSED THE MARK."
Old May 9, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: DL DM
As of today, has anyone got status for 2018 reduced? All else was corrected, but I am still at Platinum for 2018 even though I am about 1,300 miles short. I will really reach 75k anyway next weekend so does not really have any impact on me if reversed, but just curious.
Old May 9, 2017, 11:39 am

Is the number in the email a number for SkyMiles service or does it lead to the general post-flight customer service group in Atlanta, the outfit that previously had the (404) number?
Not sure. It has choices regarding prior travel receipts, documentation for cancelled flights, baggage issues, etc.

BUT: I called and eventually spoke to a person. Note, I was affected by the glitch, but did not choose any DM choice benefits, b/c I didn't think it was appropriate. My call was to find out what they were doing regarding those who did act.

I was told:
  • If you elected a gift (presumably other than a gift of status), they won't do anything about that.
  • But if you elected anything relating to the program: GUCs, miles, status, etc., they are reversing that.
  • If ill-gotten GUCs are in your account, they will be removed.
  • If ill-gotten GUCs are applied to a trip, you will be downgraded back to original class of service.
  • Supposedly a second email is going out to those subject to those affected (i.e. those who pounced the Choice benefits -- can we call them "Pouncers"? I've never gotten to coin a ham sandwich FT term!)

Not sure how they will deal with someone who elected and applied a GUC and has flown (a Pouncer-Flyer)
Old May 9, 2017, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerwma
Not sure. It has choices regarding prior travel receipts, documentation for cancelled flights, baggage issues, etc.

BUT: I called and eventually spoke to a person. Note, I was affected by the glitch, but did not choose any DM choice benefits, b/c I didn't think it was appropriate. My call was to find out what they were doing regarding those who did act.

I was told:
  • If you elected a gift (presumably other than a gift of status), they won't do anything about that.
  • But if you elected anything relating to the program: GUCs, miles, status, etc., they are reversing that.
  • If ill-gotten GUCs are in your account, they will be removed.
  • If ill-gotten GUCs are applied to a trip, you will be downgraded back to original class of service.
  • Supposedly a second email is going out to those subject to those affected (i.e. those who pounced the Choice benefits -- can we call them "Pouncers"? I've never gotten to coin a ham sandwich FT term!)

Not sure how they will deal with someone who elected and applied a GUC and has flown (a Pouncer-Flyer)
What qualifies as a "gift" in your first bullet? The retail gift cards, I guess? I would assume that the DL bucks can be clawed back pretty easily, as well, no?
Old May 9, 2017, 11:49 am

What qualifies as a "gift" in your first bullet? The retail gift cards, I guess? I would assume that the DL bucks can be clawed back pretty easily, as well, no?
The example I had in mind was the Tiffany gift stuff. But they weren't entirely clear. I think they're sensitive to the awkwardness of someone getting a gift and it being clawed back. (Although I say tough luck! But I appreciate the issues).
Old May 9, 2017, 11:51 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by flyerwma
Supposedly a second email is going out to those subject to those affected (i.e. those who pounced the Choice benefits -- can we call them "Pouncers"? I've never gotten to coin a ham sandwich FT term!)
Looters?
Old May 9, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM
That's great news, at least for those of us who elected to not "pounce" and tried to do the right thing. It just made no sense they would let those gifts slide. I'm sure it's a mess for them to deal with and I'm sure there will be some who report they made out like bandits, but this at least makes me feel better about being honest.
Old May 9, 2017, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
That's fine, but what about any choice benefits that people who were incorrectly credited with MQMs might have claimed? As someone who has earned DM status for real every single year, the hard way, I'm upset and distressed to learn that someone can have GUCs and other published program benefits given in error that could prevent me from being to confirm upgrades. Since DL only released limited numbers of OP/RP (upgrade inventory) seats on flights, if an upgrade is granted to someone who didn't earn it and is not entitled to it according to published program rules, that means that some other elite will be able to confirm an upgrade which they should get according to DL's own rules. [In fact, if all elites requesting the upgrade are able to get it for a given flight, the presence of one or more "fake" DMs/PMs who claimed GUCs/RUCs as choice benefits almost certainly means that some deserving nonrev will be sitting in coach rather than the premium cabin on the flight.]

It's zero sum among customers, but costs DL the same regardless of who sits in those upgrade seats.
I doubt there is any significant number of people who noticed this in time AND chose their choice benefits before the error was remedied.

I assume you are equally outraged by status matches, have never taken advantage of an MQM promotion, and believe status fast tracks (whether targeted at corporate customers, or those who live in JFK and more recently SEA) similarly dilute your benefits earned the hard way?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.