Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

family kicked off of delta flight maui to lax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2017, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kamalaasaa
Confirmed facts:
  • Incident concerns DL2222 on 23 APR 2017. Flight ended up departing gate 54 minutes late.
  • Family comprised of 5 people: mother, father, 18 year-old son, 2.5 year-old son, 1.5 year-old infant
  • Entire family flew together on outbound
  • Family claims 1.5 year-old was allowed to travel in own seat on outbound
  • 18 year-old left Hawaii on earlier flight (unknown time/airline)
  • Father claims (as reported here) that "he was led to believe the switch was not a big deal ... his family told airline staff about the situation from the beginning, and that Delta suggested using the seat for the infant son" and "At the airport ... they spoke with a ticketing agent downstairs who said they technically needed to cancel and buy a new ticket, before saying it was fine. The family obtained the boarding pass."
  • Police are already on board by the time video begins
  • In video, family is seated across four seats in Main Cabin as follows (seat number references): 44C-dad; 44D-mom; 44E-child in car seat; 44F-child in car seat
  • Family was allowed on board with 2 car seats
  • During video, DL agent incorrectly cites FAA regulations concerning use of car seats, infant-in-arms, and age restrictions for seating
  • During video, DL agent threatens parents with being sent to jail
  • As reported here (beginning at 4:25 in video), father "describes how he and his family had gotten onto the plane after passing through multiple checkpoints in the airport and at the gate, where the airline could have stopped them before they took their seats and set up their two toddlers in car seats."
  • During video, woman in seat 44A can't seem to stop fiddling with her hair
  • At end of video, family offers to fly with 1.5 year-old as infant-in-arms. DL declines and asks them to leave flight
  • Initial statement by DL claims that incident was not a result of overbooking the flight

Best guesses, but unconfirmed:
  • Family purchased 4 tickets: mother, father, 18 year-old son, 2.5 year-old son
  • 1.5 year-old was listed as infant-in-arms with one of the parents
  • 1.5 year-old was occupying seat previously assigned to 18 year-old
  • Standby list existed with enough people on it to fill all vacant seats on plane

Wild guesses/assumptions/unknowns:
  • Unknown how 18 year-old's new flight was ticketed (new DL flight, different airline, SDC/SDS, change to orignal ticket, etc.)
  • Unknown what events transpired before the video begins
  • Unknown what conversations occurred between DL agents and family prior to flight (either ACS or phone agents)
  • Unknown if 18 year-old's ticket was used by family to check him in to the flight
  • Unknown if 18 year-old's BP was scanned during boarding process
  • Unknown how or when DL agents realized 18 year-old was not present for flight
  • Unknown what options DL agents provided family when initially trying to seat standby passenger
  • Unknown whether flight was overbooked
  • Unknown why standby passengers were on standby (SDS, IRROPS, NRSA, etc.)
  • Unknown whether GA attempted to gate check car seats
Print Wikipost

family kicked off of delta flight maui to lax

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2017, 10:12 am

I stopped reading at page 12 but it seems that the mistakes the family made were
1. tell the gate agent what they were doing
2. not masquerade the 1 yo old as being the 18 yo, present and have scanned that boarding pass
3. Have the infant in arms notation removed from the mother's boarding pass (Oh Johnny? We left him behind at the hotel, he wasn't feeling well so he's not on this flight).
Old May 5, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: UA GS MM SPG Platinum (Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I just don't understand the airline industry sometimes.

If you purchase four tickets, you're entitled to four seats on the plane. If one of your three companions can't make the flight, you should be able to bring someone else to fill the spot whether it's an infant or your best friend because after all you did pay for those seats. It's not like the airline will give you a refund for not using the seat at all, but somehow is allowed to re-sell the seat to some other stranger, essentially double-dipping on a sale.

Double-dipping on sales for one seat should be an illegal practice for the airlines to do. Either refund the money or allow the family who purchased those seats to put another body in there... Don't screw the paying customer and then profit twice from one chair in the cabin.

I can't believe the feds actually allow this practice, it's like common sense just doesn't exist within our government.
I don't see the common sense in that. Tickets are much more costly the closer you get to departure date. The whole booking class system makes sense because it's cheaper to book way in advance aiding the airlines in containerization. They need the planes to be 95%+ capacity to make a profit given current low pricing.

Why on earth would they allow people to buy all their tickets way in advance and sell them on the black market later on to make a profit? Seat scalping is all we need to fix the industry. /sarcasm
Old May 5, 2017, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I just don't understand the airline industry sometimes.
Ya think?
Old May 5, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CashN
Why on earth would they allow people to buy all their tickets way in advance and sell them on the black market later on to make a profit? Seat scalping is all we need to fix the industry. /sarcasm
It would not be Armageddon.

If all the seats get sold out so early in advanced, the airline would add another flight, undercut the scalpers, and make a huge profit. This is not like the Superbowl where 1 individual/corporation can buy 100 tickets. A person can only have 1 air ticket per flight.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
The bottom line is the way they were treated was awful. Not a way to treat your customers. The FA should be canned for threatening them.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Jump
Every transaction and every situation is completely in the financial favor of the airline and screws the customer.
This isn't double dipping. People need to stop calling it that. It's selling a certain quantity of a commodity and then using different ways to deliver what was sold.

An airline makes available for sale 180 tickets for travel between A and B. They start doing this almost a year in advance. Perhaps, at that time, they have assigned an aircraft to that route that holds 150 pax. Several things can then happen:
1. They sell less than 150 tickets, clear some standbys, and fly the plane.
2. They sell 160 tickets, 10 people don't show up, fly the plane.
3. They sell 160 tickets, 8 people don't show up, they compensate 2 people, fly the plane.
4. They sell 180 tickets, swap out to a plane that can hold 170 pax, 10 people don't show up, fly the plane.
5. Etc. etc.

Some folks on here act like they own all parts, pieces, rights, and privileges to a specific seat just because they purchased a ticket for transit. You do not. The seat is not yours to do with as you wish. The only obligation the airline has is to safely get you from A to B. If they can't provide that service, you can ask them for a refund plus the DOT-mandated compensation if applicable. If they can provide the service, but you choose not to use it, then for a nonrefundable ticket the airline held up their end of the bargain and owes you nothing. If I pay for a month of cell phone service but then just decide I don't want to use my phone that month, it's not like Verizon gives me back my money. They just use the infrastructure I didn't consume for someone else.

Originally Posted by Jump
Every transaction and every situation is completely in the financial favor of the airline and screws the customer.
This is false. While yes, airlines are businesses and seek to gain profit, they're also smart enough to know they can't actually charge whatever they want and still expect a critical mass of customers.

Allowing airlines to sell more tickets than they have seats on a plane, and to utilize empty seats as needed, has a downward pressure on pricing overall, which *benefits* the individual customer 99.9% (literally, based on denied boarding metrics) of the time.

Said another way - an airline seeks to collect revenue of $50k on a short domestic flight, to cover fuel, wages, maintenance, capital expense, overhead, and a bit of profit. They are going to collect that $50k one way or another - would you, as an individual consumer, rather that the $50k is split over a max of 150 people/tickets, if overbooking and reuse of no-show seats is disallowed? Or would you rather that the $50k is split over perhaps 160 or 170 different people/tickets, once accounting for no shows, cancelled nonrefundable tickets, overbookings that clear standby, etc.? The math here only works out one way.

Originally Posted by rickg523
that Delta crew has all but insured the rule will be changed. They have singlehandedly cost their company and the rest of the domestic airline industry millions. But they sold those 4 standbys. Maybe they'll get a bonus along with their pink slip.
Again, no indication that the standbys who cleared were overbooked revenue passengers. And while the DL employees' actions were bad, it's laughable to think that this single incident, where the passengers share a fair amount of the blame, will "insure" that the entire airline industry changes their long-standing booking, ticketing, and revenue management practices.

The fact that people in this FT thread are calling for changes to overbooking practices which have nothing to do with this incident is pretty solid evidence that the media spin has cannibalized the actually relevant things that might need improvement, and now that the family has gotten their $, this story will fade away just like the rest of them.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
A person can only have 1 air ticket per flight.
Correct.

But...it would seem that you're agreeing with people who think that the dad in this story actually "owned" four or five tickets on the flight in question.

So...which is it?

Also, airlines can't just add flights on a whim. There are only so many gates, slots, etc. available...especially for certain routes and times (generally, the most popular ones).
Old May 5, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CashN
That would be a great business opportunity. We could call it VacationHub, it would be the StubHub of airline tickets.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta-Million miler
I enroll in a University and pay the tuition to get a diploma/degree. Why can't I use a substitute who would take he tests/exams for me? In what ways getting me a diploma is different from getting me from point A to B?
Why can't I use someone else to go to work instead of me?
Some of the passenger/FA/Airline problems are becoming legal issues. It looks like common sense,ethical and compassion issues always win because businesses are afraid of bad publicity. On the other hand, some of the rules and policies are so stupid and illogical.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ntr91
Used like what? Allowing someone who's name isn't on the manifest to sit in the seat? I agree.
Fine. Apply all rules like a mindless zombie. I know - corporations are people too, my friend. And it works out so well for corporations when they act like the worst person ever - the officious little bureaucrat with more power than brains or backbone.
So enjoy lording it over the peons while you can, enjoy interpreting the rules to your benefit at the expense of your paying customers. Ignore the obvious public outrage that has already impacted your government overlords. Just don't expect a whole lot of sympathy when they change the rules and enforce them on your business like mindless zombies.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
It has been quite interesting to read this entire thread and also comments posted elsewhere. Also, have seen the media coverage of the event.

Obviously there is going to be a lot of disagreement, but even though we don't have all the facts, that doesn't stop people from telling us exactly what happened and what should have happened.

I don't want to repeat a lot of what has been said, but let me add another thought. Flying is not a right and it's not a privilege. It's a contract between you and an airline. Yes, they get to make the rules even if it's in their favor. Do you realize some of the minute details of contracts that you agree to when you sign your name. Are credit card agreements, loan agreements or hospital admissions necessarily favorable to you? No way. Fortunately, it's very possible that none of those things may ever effect you, just as the airline rules may not effect you (negatively).

I don't think there is any disagreement that the FA acted inappropriately. If I was sitting nearby I would have thought that I was hearing wrong. I don't think DL is trying to say that was appropriate and given recent events a payoff makes sense.

OK, on to the next story.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta GM, AMEX Reserve
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
It would not be Armageddon.

A person can only have 1 air ticket per flight.
Not true - some people by two seats for themselves.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Allowing airlines to sell more tickets than they have seats on a plane, and to utilize empty seats as needed, has a downward pressure on pricing overall, which *benefits* the individual customer 99.9% (literally, based on denied boarding metrics) of the time.

Said another way - an airline seeks to collect revenue of $50k on a short domestic flight, to cover fuel, wages, maintenance, capital expense, overhead, and a bit of profit. They are going to collect that $50k one way or another - would you, as an individual consumer, rather that the $50k is split over a max of 150 people/tickets, if overbooking and reuse of no-show seats is disallowed? Or would you rather that the $50k is split over perhaps 160 or 170 different people/tickets, once accounting for no shows, cancelled nonrefundable tickets, overbookings that clear standby, etc.? The math here only works out one way.
The way airline pricing works 90% of the cost is paid for by 10% of the customers. The general public is only trying to pay that last 10%.

Most flights never get oversold. 90% of my flights were at ~75-90%. Those that were full, were caused by customers from cancelled flights because of bad weather, not oversold.

Benefits the individual customer 99.9% of the time. That is a non-sequitur. Using your logic, I could say by not overselling, you benefit the customer 99.9999% of the time because then you would have even less IDB and even more people get to where they want and that is also a benefit.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Ny76
Not true - some people by two seats for themselves.
LOL.... I was wondering who would say this first. I thought to myself should I even bother addressing it. It's easy enough to make a rule that if you buy 2 for 1 then you can't split it. That seems reasonable to me a rule and not complicated.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta PM
It all comes down to one simple thing (in my simple mind) to determine who is at the majority of fault here:

How many boarding passes were scanned? My supposition is that it was only 3 and as others have speculated when 18 yo Mason was a no show his seat went to a standby pax. If, for some reason, they did scan 4 BP's with some sort of agreement of the GA, this situation should have never come up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.