Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Comfort+ seat poachers

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2017, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by mrcimino1
For next time....
When she asked you to get up and let her sit in 7-A, and you indicated here that you knew 7-A was unassigned, you should have right then and there said to her to produce her Boarding Pass for 7-A, which you knew was still an open seat, or sit in her assigned seat. If you don't stand up to BS'ers, then don't complain about the "smell" they bring you!
A FA may have the power and right to demand someone's boarding pass. However, I don't think that other passengers do. If someone who wasn't a passenger demanded my boarding pass I would ignore their request.

As far as I can see, the only option open to him/her would be to have a quiet word with a FA when appropriate and see if they then decide to move the passenger back to their assigned seat. Though, not if the OP is concerned about what third parties might think of them.
Old May 3, 2017, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Especially if the woman had an empty seat next to her in row 8, it seems strange to move and poach C+ just for a few inches of legroom in front versus much more space to the side.

Just how many "free" drinks did she consume to make C+ so valuable to her?
My only theory is that she wanted a window and was assigned an aisle. She boarded fairly early (prolly zone 1) and perhaps didn't know that 8a would remain vacant.

She didn't drink at all. She had quite a heap of snacks though.
Old May 4, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Next time tell her to slow down and stop eating so many snacks. That'll solve your problem.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:06 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Woman on my flight just sat down next to me in 7A with a boarding pass for 8B. Normally wouldn't care as much but 7A was to be one of the few empty seats on this CR900 and I need to get some work done and was looking forward to the extra desk space (I'm in 7B). Her seat wasn't reassigned, as the seat map still shows vacant at departure.

Sure doesn't make me want to pay for it when people just poach and get away with it.

Not gonna call her out on it as I don't want her returned to 8B and have her kick me the whole flight.
Maybe she wanted to strike a conversation up with you
Old May 4, 2017, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My only theory is that she wanted a window and was assigned an aisle. She boarded fairly early (prolly zone 1) and perhaps didn't know that 8a would remain vacant.

Why didn't she move to the open window seat next to her assigned seat? Problem solved.

This thread is starting to seem like a humble brag: I don't understand why this woman moved into the seat next to me when she already had a row to herself......
Old May 4, 2017, 5:51 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by mrcimino1
For next time....
When she asked you to get up and let her sit in 7-A, and you indicated here that you knew 7-A was unassigned, you should have right then and there said to her to produce her Boarding Pass for 7-A, which you knew was still an open seat, or sit in her assigned seat. If you don't stand up to BS'ers, then don't complain about the "smell" they bring you!
If someone said this to me, they would get a rude response. How do you know the gate agent didn't move someone, mister busybody seat cop?

OP: if you need to vent, use the existing seat poaching thread instead of starting a new one.
Old May 4, 2017, 5:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wouldn't show my boarding pass to a random stranger who demands it. Too much personal information.
Old May 4, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I wouldn't show my boarding pass to a random stranger who demands it. Too much personal information.
+1

If anyone has issues with seat poachers in their cabin (I LOL that delta calls Comfort + a cabin) The best thing to do is ask FA to intervene. One should never be in the business of asking fellow passengers to show boarding passes, at minimum its an invasion of privacy at maximum that's just asking for confrontation
Old May 4, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by davetravels
We hafto protect these seats! People pay EXTRA for these!!!
This is almost exactly what I heard FAs saying on a recent C+ flight
Old May 4, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I tend to watch the seat map on the app during boarding, which means I've got a pretty good idea who is seated where. If a seat poacher tries to go for my row, I usually phrase the question as a pleasant "Oh, is this your assigned seat?" Most people I've found don't lie quickly enough on their feet to that question, so it's usually either "yes, I'm a standby passenger who cleared into it" or "Er, um" which gives me the opening to say "In that case, I'm pretty sure these seats cost extra, so you'll want to check with a flight attendant before moving."
Old May 4, 2017, 9:24 am
pvn
Suspended

How are you busybodies watching the map on the app during boarding? Every time I've tried to look at it after boarding has started I just get a "seat map is unavailable" message.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Unless the seat is assigned to you, it's none of your business.

If you want to play Junior FA, report it to the FA. If you don't, then let it go. Someone else got a freebie and it's tough on you.

It wasn't yours to begin with.

When other passengers try to tell me about what they thing policies and rules are, I ignore them. There are all kinds of nuts out there these days. Some are just harmless cranks interfering where it's not their business. Others turn violent. I have no desire to find out.
Old May 4, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
You would be showing a seat assignment, get over the paranoia and live a little.
Old May 4, 2017, 2:16 pm
pvn
Suspended

it's none of that person's business, get over the need to stick your nose into everyone else's business
Old May 4, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pvn
How are you busybodies watching the map on the app during boarding? Every time I've tried to look at it after boarding has started I just get a "seat map is unavailable" message.
AFAIK, I've always been able to use the iOS app to see it until door closure. The last time i'm sure I did this was on a relatively empty flight last september where I voluntarily gave up a C+ seat for an empty row at a GA's suggestion, and I was nervously watching to make sure the row stayed empty through the boarding process as nonrevs boarded. (The GA kept her word and it stayed empty. ^)

Since then, I've been mostly flying upfront or on AF/KL so it's been less of a concern. I'll give it another try on this afternoon's flight to see if it still works and report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.