Old May 15, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Tentative schedule:

assume group drinking/eating throughout the weekend

all details subject to change, check back for updates

Friday 8/11:
landside:
Museum Surplus Sale (davetravels, sky303, CaptainMiles)

airside:
afternoon Sky Club crawl as people arrive (flight arrival info below)
dinner at OFS, time still being negotiated
after-drinks somewhere near the airport?

Saturday 8/12:
10am breakfast/brunch at the Hapeville Dwarf House diner side of Chik-Fil-A: https://goo.gl/maps/ij9yFdaxUTJ2
followed by Delta Museum (747 experience opens at noon)
Spondivits for dinner or late night drinks?

Sunday 8/13:
current proposal:
Fat Matt's BBQ 1pm https://goo.gl/maps/2vV7rQ2Yup32
followed by Sweetwater 2:30pm-4:30pm https://goo.gl/maps/nhjmDzS8A9P2
dinner -- ???
nighttime comedy show?

Monday 8/14:
ATL TRACON tour 9am-11am (note, ~25-30 miles sw of ATL airport)
***If you are interested in this please PM me your first/last name as they appear on a government-issued photo ID, as we will need to present these before the tour

carpool/rideshare from downtown somewhere TBD

Confirmed: Zorak, angra, lov2fly, ND76, Canarsie, MSPeconomist, sky303
-----

Interest list: (arrival time on Friday for coordinating Sky Club/dinner)

Zorak (Friday 15:49 DL1865)
gooselee+1
krazykanuck
CMK10
TheLifeOfA_NKCM -really strong maybe.
Angra
CaptainMiles - local (not flying in), need to be guested into SC (can guest into The Club at ATL, if we end up there)
ND76 (8/11/17: DL2604, arrives ATL 1150)
fsuj25 (8/11/17 hopefully around 5:30)
MemphisQueen +1
captaink
Lov2Fly
johnnywho - (Fri 16:24 on AA2255) a. need to be guested in
davetravels - Confirmed - arriving Thurs - overnite in Buckhead / N Druid Hills - anyone else? Then, museum surplus sale Fri AM - Airport meet-up Fri afternoon - then 7:26 PM flight to MEX.
kirkwoodj - Fri 20:55 on UA6104, guessing too late for club crawl/dinner
MSPeconomist (Friday 8/11/17 DL1551 arriving at 4:38 pm)
sky303 - probably will do the surplus sale Friday before the airport
shenanigans. Have club access, but can't guest.
ChiefNWA - have club access but cannot guest. Will fly in for the museum/747 exhibit Sat.
MEMLawGuy - Have short layover in B on 8/11: arriving around 4:30pm departing around 6pm. I do have guest privileges on SC access.
Print Wikipost

ATL mini-DO August 11-14ish 2017

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:45 pm

Programs: Blinged Out
Mrs. SeaHawg and I will be flying through ATL on the 12'th - Have a 2 hour layover between 4-6PM. I'm guessing no FTers at the meetup will be airside since it's past security...
Old Aug 4, 2017, 3:23 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't one of the bonus activities on Friday going to be that all of us walk davetravels to the gate for his flight in a big group so that his fellow passengers think he's a celebrity?
Well, thanx for the thought! I guess, when I booked my flight, which leaves at 7:26 PM, I was thinking of Zorak arriving at 4:XX, and having dinner shortly thereafter, plus getting into MEX at least in time to do something late evening Friday nite. So, I guess I'll miss dinner, afterall , unless I manage to get a VDB! .

Maybe we can meet at a SkyClub in Term E or F.

The next flight to MEX gets in too late for my taste, plus, would have meant getting into ATL even later on Thursday due to the less-than-24-hour stopover rule. I should've just done ATL and MEX on 2 separate trips.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Sadly looks like I'm mostly out of commission Thursday and Friday nights at this point. Though Mrs. Lee and I are definitely game for all the things on Saturday, and likely for Sunday if we end up doing Sweetwater or something.

Will still try to make it out for late drinks on Thursday if things wrap up early!
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by gooselee
Sadly looks like I'm mostly out of commission Thursday and Friday nights at this point. Though Mrs. Lee and I are definitely game for all the things on Saturday, and likely for Sunday if we end up doing Sweetwater or something.

Will still try to make it out for late drinks on Thursday if things wrap up early!
Do you have the days wrong? Drinks are scheduled for Friday, not Thursday, unless you're trying to do something individually as a preDO event with davetravels (or some of the locals).
Old Aug 4, 2017, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you have the days wrong? Drinks are scheduled for Friday, not Thursday, unless you're trying to do something individually as a preDO event with davetravels (or some of the locals).
Yeah I was referring to pre-DO meeting up with davetravels.

I think I previously offered to help organize Saturday dinner, but if we're doing Spondivits I think that's more of a just-show-up kind of place...but others might know better?

Still happy to help out with a dinner, breweries, or whatever if there's something I can do!

Sucks we couldn't get an in at DL for this one. Per the other thread, the 1st A350 is likely going to be sitting in ATL next weekend.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:19 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Yeah, if anyone has any good inside contacts at DL that could set us up with something... any 360s reading the thread?

I did try to contact Delta through the website but it took them like a month to get back to me in the form of a phone call telling me to call the corporate switchboard and ask for community relations.

The operator gave me an email address to reach out to, which resulted in an auto response referring me to another web page to fill out a form asking for sponsorship/partnership for events, with a required 6-week lead time. This was a couple weeks ago, so I just gave up

Earlier I also tried PMing the official Sky Miles account that has been occasionally participating on FT but only received an empty reply which I guess was a misclick.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I've always wondered what does "DO" stand for?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:04 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I've always wondered what does "DO" stand for?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...ertalk-do.html
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Zorak
I did try to contact Delta through the website but it took them like a month to get back to me in the form of a phone call telling me to call the corporate switchboard and ask for community relations.

The operator gave me an email address to reach out to, which resulted in an auto response referring me to another web page to fill out a form asking for sponsorship/partnership for events, with a required 6-week lead time. This was a couple weeks ago, so I just gave up

Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:51 am

What's a "Commander Catcop"?!?
Old Aug 4, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by davetravels
What's a "Commander Catcop"?!?
Secret. Can only tell you if you're wearing a DM hat and polo shirt.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:01 pm

The Surplus Sale info for this month finally popped online for Friday morning (Aug 11).

https://www.deltamuseum.org/events/e...r/surplus-sale
Attached Images  
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I would still like to know what DO stands for.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Link to the thread explaining it is posted above. Not an abbreviation.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 2:38 pm

Here are some partial quotes from the post above:

A Flyertalk gathering is when at least two and probalby no more than a dozen flyertalkers get together anywhere, from an airline club to a restaurant.

A DO is one step up from a gathering. it's where more than a dozen people get together centered around some event or city or restaurant. It has at least one big dinner with IF TIME PERMITS.

DOS are harder to organize than gatherings because there's money to be colelcted, restaurants to review, handing several dozen people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.