ATL mini-DO August 11-14ish 2017

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 12, 17, 1:06 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Zorak
Wiki Link
Tentative schedule:

assume group drinking/eating throughout the weekend

all details subject to change, check back for updates

Friday 8/11:
landside:
Museum Surplus Sale (davetravels, sky303, CaptainMiles)

airside:
afternoon Sky Club crawl as people arrive (flight arrival info below)
dinner at OFS, time still being negotiated
after-drinks somewhere near the airport?

Saturday 8/12:
10am breakfast/brunch at the Hapeville Dwarf House diner side of Chik-Fil-A: https://goo.gl/maps/ij9yFdaxUTJ2
followed by Delta Museum (747 experience opens at noon)
Spondivits for dinner or late night drinks?

Sunday 8/13:
current proposal:
Fat Matt's BBQ 1pm https://goo.gl/maps/2vV7rQ2Yup32
followed by Sweetwater 2:30pm-4:30pm https://goo.gl/maps/nhjmDzS8A9P2
dinner -- ???
nighttime comedy show?

Monday 8/14:
ATL TRACON tour 9am-11am (note, ~25-30 miles sw of ATL airport)
***If you are interested in this please PM me your first/last name as they appear on a government-issued photo ID, as we will need to present these before the tour

carpool/rideshare from downtown somewhere TBD

Confirmed: Zorak, angra, lov2fly, ND76, Canarsie, MSPeconomist, sky303
-----

Interest list: (arrival time on Friday for coordinating Sky Club/dinner)

Zorak (Friday 15:49 DL1865)
gooselee+1
krazykanuck
CMK10
TheLifeOfA_NKCM -really strong maybe.
Angra
CaptainMiles - local (not flying in), need to be guested into SC (can guest into The Club at ATL, if we end up there)
ND76 (8/11/17: DL2604, arrives ATL 1150)
fsuj25 (8/11/17 hopefully around 5:30)
MemphisQueen +1
captaink
Lov2Fly
johnnywho - (Fri 16:24 on AA2255) a. need to be guested in
davetravels - Confirmed - arriving Thurs - overnite in Buckhead / N Druid Hills - anyone else? Then, museum surplus sale Fri AM - Airport meet-up Fri afternoon - then 7:26 PM flight to MEX.
kirkwoodj - Fri 20:55 on UA6104, guessing too late for club crawl/dinner
MSPeconomist (Friday 8/11/17 DL1551 arriving at 4:38 pm)
sky303 - probably will do the surplus sale Friday before the airport
shenanigans. Have club access, but can't guest.
ChiefNWA - have club access but cannot guest. Will fly in for the museum/747 exhibit Sat.
MEMLawGuy - Have short layover in B on 8/11: arriving around 4:30pm departing around 6pm. I do have guest privileges on SC access.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 14, 17, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I just updated the wiki with my tentative Thursday & Friday arrival info.
Old Jul 14, 17, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
late breaking regrets ... I'm not going to be on this coast, and I'm not going to be able to finagle a trip on my own from SEA
Old Jul 14, 17, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, TR 7*, SPG/MR Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by gooselee View Post
Or we could do this: http://www.cfarestaurant.com/hapevilledwarfhouse/home

As it happens, I'll likely be doing a GE interview that morning so selfishly staying near the airport would work out well.
After seeing it in the mini-profile on your posts all these times I kinda want to try out Krystal

Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
I just updated the wiki with my tentative Thursday & Friday arrival info.

Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
late breaking regrets ... I'm not going to be on this coast, and I'm not going to be able to finagle a trip on my own from SEA
oh well, sorry you won't be able to make it!
Old Jul 17, 17, 7:46 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Gold, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
I'm confirmed. Will add flight info & do that database thing
Old Jul 17, 17, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj View Post
I'm confirmed. Will add flight info & do that database thing
the more the merrier!

Fri 20:55 on UA6104, guessing too late for club crawl/dinner
Probably, but if people are interested (esp. anyone not able to get airside on Friday e.g. our ATL-resident attendees) we can continue the welcome party somewhere else. I'm staying at the Renaissance Concourse on Friday night so that or somewhere else near the airport gets my vote
Old Jul 19, 17, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Fleshing out the plan a bit as we get closer:

For Saturday I was thinking of doing something breakfast/brunch-like near the airport around 10am for a leisurely meal prior to hitting up the Delta Museum, which should allow some time to look at things in general before the 747 experience opens at noon.

Just being lazy and Yelp-ing for breakfast/brunch around the airport:

https://tinyurl.com/y8so8jgo

left to my own devices I'd pick some place near the museum, like

https://www.yelp.com/biz/barbecue-ki...ast+%26+Brunch

or, a place called "Airport view" seems like a natural

https://www.yelp.com/biz/airport-vie...ast+%26+Brunch

any of the locals have opinions on these or other places nearby?

Leaving Saturday afternoon/evening and Sunday morning as unscheduled time for people to explore whatever in the area on their own.

Sunday afternoon was planning on possibly visiting Sweetwater (I also hear good things about Monday Night and Red Brick brewing but the former appears not to be open on Sunday).

Possibly an attempt at a coordinated dinner one or both of Saturday/Sunday as well.
Old Jul 19, 17, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Wow! Zor, those restaurants look great! Right up my alley! Too bad I won't be there for those.

That said, I'm currently booked on PIT/ATL arriving at 9:41 PM on THURSDAY, but, I'm hoping DL will allow me to do SDC or SDS on an undecided earlier flight <since I'm flying to MEX on Friday>, in case someone wants to get together with me! I can be your pre-DO Thursday greeter! I expect to be staying near Buckhead, and having a few drinks near Cheshire Bridge .

I'm planning to go to the Surplus Sale at the museum Friday, and possibly do the whole museum thing, too, if anyone's around and wants to join.

So, I'll meet up with whoever is doing whatever airport stuff that's planned Friday afternoon / evening before my 7:26 PM flight to MEX.

Old Jul 19, 17, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Mexico City during the week, most likely Atlanta on the weekends
Programs: Starriott Platinum Premier/Ambassador, UA 2P, Spend too much time on DL, HH Gold
Wow! Zor, those restaurants look great! Right up my alley! Too bad I won't be there for those.

That said, I'm currently booked on PIT/ATL arriving at 9:41 PM on THURSDAY, but, I'm hoping DL will allow me to do SDC or SDS on an undecided earlier flight <since I'm flying to MEX on Friday>, in case someone wants to get together with me! I can be your pre-DO Thursday greeter! I expect to be staying near Buckhead, and having a few drinks near Cheshire Bridge .

I'm planning to go to the Surplus Sale at the museum Friday, and possibly do the whole museum thing, too, if anyone's around and wants to join.

So, I'll meet up with whoever is doing whatever airport stuff that's planned Friday afternoon / evening before my 7:26 PM flight to MEX.

Well...I am planning on having my 4000th unique beer at Taco Mac Lindbergh (573 Main Street NE) in that neighborhood on that Thursday. We should have some Duchesse de Bourgogne up on draft for it...
Old Jul 19, 17, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I expect to be staying near Buckhead, and having a few drinks near Cheshire Bridge .
Hmm...I know those bars and I've seen some of your posts. Sounds like it could be a fun night.
Old Jul 19, 17, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post
Well...I am planning on having my 4000th unique beer at Taco Mac Lindbergh (573 Main Street NE) in that neighborhood on that Thursday. We should have some Duchesse de Bourgogne up on draft for it...
Heyyyy, stranger! Long time no see! It was at a Taco Mac at the Delta DO!

Lemme know if you know anyone who can push my SDC thru, and I can meet you early!

《You keep track of how many unique beers you've had???》

Hmm...I know those bars and I've seen some of your posts. Sounds like it could be a fun night.
So, you'll be there Thursday nite???
Old Jul 19, 17, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
《You keep track of how many unique beers you've had???》
I think the beer aficionados' go-to app is "UNTAPPD" (or something like that) ... paging kipper ...
Old Jul 20, 17, 6:44 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA GS 2MM, QFF Gold, HH Diamond, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
I think the beer aficionados' go-to app is "UNTAPPD" (or something like that) ... paging kipper ...
Exactly. I'm always hunting for new ones, just crossed 2500.
Old Jul 20, 17, 7:19 am

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
So, you'll be there Thursday nite???
Let's call that a solid tentative.

In all seriousness, would love to grab a drink and I live right around the corner, but it'll depend on how work and other commitments line up that week. But it's on my calendar!
Old Jul 20, 17, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Let's call that a solid tentative.

In all seriousness, would love to grab a drink and I live right around the corner, but it'll depend on how work and other commitments line up that week. But it's on my calendar!
Cool beans!

Besides, if I can't SDC or SDS onto an earlier flight, I won't even get to my hotel till 11PM or later. By that time I'm not too sure how much energy I'll have.
Old Jul 20, 17, 8:57 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, IHG/SPG/MR Plat, HH Gold, UA Silver, EK Kettle, AA Hater
Originally Posted by Zorak View Post
Fleshing out the plan a bit as we get closer:

For Saturday I was thinking of doing something breakfast/brunch-like near the airport around 10am for a leisurely meal prior to hitting up the Delta Museum, which should allow some time to look at things in general before the 747 experience opens at noon.

Just being lazy and Yelp-ing for breakfast/brunch around the airport:

https://tinyurl.com/y8so8jgo

left to my own devices I'd pick some place near the museum, like

https://www.yelp.com/biz/barbecue-ki...ast+%26+Brunch

or, a place called "Airport view" seems like a natural

https://www.yelp.com/biz/airport-vie...ast+%26+Brunch

any of the locals have opinions on these or other places nearby?

Leaving Saturday afternoon/evening and Sunday morning as unscheduled time for people to explore whatever in the area on their own.

Sunday afternoon was planning on possibly visiting Sweetwater (I also hear good things about Monday Night and Red Brick brewing but the former appears not to be open on Sunday).

Possibly an attempt at a coordinated dinner one or both of Saturday/Sunday as well.
Not a fan of Airport View. Not bad, just not good.

BBQ kitchen is awesome, but I don't remember ever eating breakfast there. Meatloaf is off the charts (but they don't have it every day). Smoked chicken is awesome (every day). But whatever you get I can promise you won't leave hungry. If you like fancy, this is not your place. If you like to pig out, this is your place. No booze.

If it is DL nostalgia you want, the Dwarf House is the original Chik-Fil-A and has menu items that are not on the normal menu. Ron Allen ate breakfast there every day for 20 years. If not for DL employees at the DH, it is not likely that CFA would have ever gone anywhere.

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Jul 20, 17 at 9:22 am

Search this Thread