Community
Wiki Posts
Search

757 TATL

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2017, 11:22 am
Original Poster

757 TATL

Forgive me if I missed a discussion on this during my searches, but I'll be flying RDU-CDG in October (honeymoon) that is operated on a 757. I'm not usually a delta flyer so don't have a lot of experience on the planes, but could someone who has done a similar route on this equipment give me a rundown of what to expect in business? Besides the seats, is this catered and serviced like the other D1 products I've read about? The other option is AF out of ATL, but my understanding is their seats aren't flat and I wouldn't be happy if we ended up in the middle three.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
If you are flying with 2 people these are fantastic planes for TATL service. You will get the full Delta One experience, with comfortable great seats. The one and only drawback is that not every seat has direct aisle access (there are window and aisle seats like a traditional premium cabin). However, if you are on a honeymoon this should not be an issue. Many people feel that the actual seats are among the best Delta has. Choose row 1, the leg wells have more room.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
If you are flying with 2 people these are fantastic planes for TATL service. You will get the full Delta One experience, with comfortable great seats. The one and only drawback is that not every seat has direct aisle access (there are window and aisle seats like a traditional premium cabin). However, if you are on a honeymoon this should not be an issue. Many people feel that the actual seats are among the best Delta has. Choose row 1, the leg wells have more room.

Agreed - if you're traveling with one companion, I think the 757 D1 experience is excellent, definitely better than the aging 767s. The cabin is a 2-2 configuration, so the pax on the window will have to step over or through the other person in their row, but if it's your companion I would worry a lot less.

You'll get the full D1 experience you can read about on the DL website which includes a catered meal, dessert, Westin Heavenly bedding, etc.
Old May 1, 2017, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Awesome! Thanks for the quick replies. We are connecting to a KQ 787 which has a 2-2-2 configuration, so we knew we weren't going to get totally separate seats for the travel over (we're doing etihad back), but you all have given me encouragement I needed to just book it. Thanks for the advice on row 1 too. I tend to avoid bulkheads so I definitely wouldn't have come up with it on my own.
Old May 1, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
check this out: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...o-los-angeles/

should be very similar
Old May 1, 2017, 12:29 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
I flew the 757 D1 service SFO-JFK and actually liked it immensely, even thought I wouldn't. This was after I flew JFK-SFO on the 767.

I was in 1F on the 757 and the footwell is quite larger (at least larger than the 767). Once you finish meal service, the flat bed the seat converts to is actually quite nice -- and since you have a neighbor in the aisle seat, felt much more private to me. I slept quite well.
Old May 1, 2017, 1:05 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by bj27
I was in 1F on the 757
Typo for 1D? I think the only DL aircraft with a seat 1F is the much-reviled domestic 767 config
Old May 1, 2017, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Typo for 1D? I think the only DL aircraft with a seat 1F is the much-reviled domestic 767 config
Not a typo. I am certified for OOA (out-of-aircraft) seating.

It's really another world when you don't have to sit in the metal tube with 160 other people.
Old May 1, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I've flown at least 3 TATL segments on 757s over the years (LGW-JFK; CDG-PIT; and LHR-PHL) in Y, and they are fine. There have been some reports of westbound flights facing stiff headwinds having to refuel at YYR (Goose Bay, Labrador).

I just did the new Delta1 service in both directions between DCA and LAX; I really liked the seats; like on other aircraft with sleeper seats, the footroom in row 1 is better than the other rows (I had 1B westbound and 4D eastbound).

The service is the same as in other TATL aircraft; on the TATL D1 cabin, there will only be 15 pax total (1 seat is reserved as the pilot rest seat); 2 FAs will work the cabin during drink and meal times, and, toward the end of the service, be assisted by a 3rd FA.

On the way back from London earlier this year, the satellite TV system worked the last two hours of the flight (I'm not sure where the plane flies into Dish Network's footprint).

You and your intended will enjoy yourselves.
Old May 1, 2017, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by bj27
Not a typo. I am certified for OOA (out-of-aircraft) seating.

It's really another world when you don't have to sit in the metal tube with 160 other people.
Ah, so these are *your* seats

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...row-98-rj.html
Old May 1, 2017, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Bingo. I upgraded at T-24 when checking for "undefined undefined" price. I'll earn "undefined" number of points.
Old May 1, 2017, 3:32 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by manacit
definitely better than the aging 767s.
Huh?!?!?

They're <relatively> recently refurbed!
Old May 1, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by manacit
definitely better than the aging 767s.
Delta's 757 and 767 fleets each are an average of 17.2 years old.
Old May 1, 2017, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
The interiors of the 757s have been refreshed more recently, with the 757s having very large new screens as well.

Always recommend row 1 but it's a tradeoff whether you want restroom access or a wider seat. The window seat, with the arm rest lowered, offers you about 5" of extra seat width making for this, in my opinion, to be the most comfortable lay flat DL has.
Old May 1, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
Originally Posted by davetravels
Huh?!?!?

They're <relatively> recently refurbed!
Originally Posted by Pharaoh

The 757 are much newer (bigger screens, fresher looking cabin) than the 767s due to a much more recent interior refurb. The airframe is definitely not any newer, but I find the experience to be much nicer and better designed (aside from 2-2 vs 1-2-1) on the 757s.

The 767s look very "tired" in comparison

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.