Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta pilot hits passenger during fight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta pilot hits passenger during fight

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
This is a non story, except for the fact that yet another moron can't learn to take video in landscape mode.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
That's why these stories keep getting reported and why in the UA case it gained so much traction.
Because for the vast majority of Americans, air travel now has all the joyous anticipation of a root canal or colonoscopy.
These incidents aren't sensational because they're just grimly expected. But all that means is most travelers in steerage are on edge from the get-go. It's a tinderbox back there. And there's almost always someone who just has to express loudly how disgusting he thinks it and his fellow passengers are.
All in all a great job by carriers and their regulators to fnord (ref: Illuminatus by Shea and Wilson) the entire flying experience.
I'm convinced it's intentional. Too successful a lockdown to have been a fluke.
Maybe I don't know how good it used to be as a relatively new flyer, but I think Main Cabin travel on most airlines is overall enjoyable. It's a matter of setting proper expectations and having a good attitude. Even Spirit is good if you know what you pay for.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Widgets
Maybe I don't know how good it used to be as a relatively new flyer, but I think Main Cabin travel on most airlines is overall enjoyable. It's a matter of setting proper expectations and having a good attitude. Even Spirit is good if you know what you pay for.
Agreed, it's the crew that makes the difference. We had some excellent NYC based flight attendants on my ATL-MEM flight. But NYC is a very junior base so I'm guessing they are not as jaded as the more senior bases.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
This thread title is misleading and makes the Delta pilot look bad
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a matter of setting proper expectations and having a good attitude. Even Spirit is good if you know what you pay for.
Couldn't agree more. But at least in the States, airlines advertise the Premium experience but sell steerage. The dissonance between travel as advertised and travel as experienced sends some people off. This applies to life at large in America. The image of the American lifestyle presented in advertising (particularly) is so at odds with the reality that many Americans live through each day, the dissonance sends some people over the edge eventually.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by rickg523
That's why these stories keep getting reported and why in the UA case it gained so much traction.
Because for the vast majority of Americans, air travel now has all the joyous anticipation of a root canal or colonoscopy.
These incidents aren't sensational because they're just grimly expected. But all that means is most travelers in steerage are on edge from the get-go. It's a tinderbox back there. And there's almost always someone who just has to express loudly how disgusting he thinks it and his fellow passengers are.
All in all a great job by carriers and their regulators to fnord (ref: Illuminatus by Shea and Wilson) the entire flying experience.
I'm convinced it's intentional. Too successful a lockdown to have been a fluke.
Funny, I don't know any people who actually feel that way about flying and I know quite a few people who fly frequently and people who fly very infrequently. And most of them don't typically fly J. In fact, among the infrequent flyers (most of my family) most book the cheapest option and tend to fly LCC.

I'm not saying they love flying in Y or think it's a great experience. I'd say the general feeling is that flying is a tolerable chore to do before you get where you want to go.

I think we see tons of these stories now because the UA story 'hit paydirt' and now every hack out there working for some media outlet tries to leech off the attention that got. It's clickbait.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Funny, I don't know any people who actually feel that way about flying and I know quite a few people who fly frequently and people who fly very infrequently. And most of them don't typically fly J. In fact, among the infrequent flyers (most of my family) most book the cheapest option and tend to fly LCC.

I'm not saying they love flying in Y or think it's a great experience. I'd say the general feeling is that flying is a tolerable chore to do before you get where you want to go.

I think we see tons of these stories now because the UA story 'hit paydirt' and now every hack out there working for some media outlet tries to leech off the attention that got. It's clickbait.
Flying out of MCO I sat next to a DM and he told me he only flew Delta on company travel. When he pays he takes Allegiant out of SFB.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: Several dozen
The problem is that the airlines have devalued their frequent flyer programs so much that folks have had to switch from MSing on their credit cards to lawsuit settlements to cut down their travelling cost. We need more store front lawyers wearing cheap suits on this board! Paging Saul Goodman...

Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
I'm no saint but what the heck is wrong with people these days?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
During f-i-g-h-t, not flight.
I also missed the lack of the "l", and almost posted the same counter to the thread title. It really is common to read words as expected [pilot | flight], and is easy to miss something like like.

A better tittle for the TMZ story would have been:

"DL pilot steps in to break up girl fight" Hell, maybe even juxtapose that with the UA dress code issue on the girl with tights.

Would get as many, or more, click :-)

Seriously though, two pax got in a fight with each other. Has nothing to do with DL. And the pilot stepping in to help the girl taking a beating was just doing the right thing.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
The problem is that the airlines have devalued their frequent flyer programs so much that folks have had to switch from MSing on their credit cards to lawsuit settlements to cut down their travelling cost. We need more store front lawyers wearing cheap suits on this board! Paging Saul Goodman...
It's not just people flying but how people react to others in their daily lives. How many angry drivers do you see, people who simply don't extend common courtesy to others and such. Two ladies fighting on the jet bridge says something about our society.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by Boggie Dog
Two ladies fighting on the jet bridge says something about our society.

Not really.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 3:55 pm
JBa

Programs: some
Congrats to the pilot. Ladies should have stayed at Walmart.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
The pilot saved the day. He prevented a terrible situation. He took control off the situation, gave a what for to one of the trouble makers and walked out bravely.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Sigh...
Old Apr 29, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I believe Delta owns jetways in Atlanta except for common use gates. The story said the women started fighting onboard then went into the jetway.
I thought that ATL airport owned the jetways. However DL gets some preferential use gates and some gates as long as they're the first to ask. Although this could be totally wrong, just what I thought I understood to be the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.