Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What's going on with JFK TSA tomorrow (4/29)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat

Just got a text and saw an advisory about construction at the tsa checkpoint tomorrow at jfk. Anytime know more?

I'll be traveling with a bunch of luggage tomorrow, and wondering if this is going to be a real problem, or just a modification made with an abundance of caution..
Old Apr 28, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by stevekstevek
Just got a text and saw an advisory about construction at the tsa checkpoint tomorrow at jfk. Anytime know more?

I'll be traveling with a bunch of luggage tomorrow, and wondering if this is going to be a real problem, or just a modification made with an abundance of caution..
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...formation.html

(JFK) Travel from New York

Please plan to arrive early at JFK due to the temporary construction at the TSA checkpoints. If arriving between 5am – 8pm with no checked bags, please proceed to the Terminal 4 Arrivals Level TSA checkpoint for security clearance.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
The arrivals level checkpoint is definitely not capable of processing the same number of people as the departures level, so it sounds like they're just trying to split the load. Perhaps a partial closure for something like Clear installation?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bennos
The arrivals level checkpoint is definitely not capable of processing the same number of people as the departures level, so it sounds like they're just trying to split the load. Perhaps a partial closure for something like Clear installation?
Clear is what I figured. Hope it's not a zoo. Their installs seem pretty light where I've seen them (dca, sea).
Old Apr 28, 2017, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by stevekstevek
Clear is what I figured. Hope it's not a zoo. Their installs seem pretty light where I've seen them (dca, sea).
Clear wouldn't require a whole day to install. Also I would think that would be done at night.

Could they be installing the automated security machines?
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Clear wouldn't require a whole day to install. Also I would think that would be done at night.
Well if they had to run power lines under the floor it could get complicated.

Could they be installing the automated security machines?
However, here we apparently have a winner:

http://nypost.com/2017/04/27/securit...t-much-faster/
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:25 pm
mmc

Programs: DL Diamond, QF Gold
Got that SMS Thursday - I went through JFK today - went through the SkyPriority one and I was THE ONLY ONE IN THE QUEUE.
Old May 2, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
This continues -- just got a notice for a flight tomorrow
Old May 2, 2017, 4:19 pm

Has anyone yet seen the construction? Is it the "advanced" lanes?
Old May 4, 2017, 3:36 am

Programs: UA 1K
Got the same message from DL yesterday (may 3) for our 2p flight today (may 4). Anyone been through security recently? Is the wait really that bad? We have TSA pre. Thanks.
Old May 4, 2017, 4:09 am

Programs: AA Plat - (1MM)
Yes, both T2 and T4 are getting the Advanced Screening Lanes. In an effort to avoid overloading T2 while they are getting their lanes DL is proactively emailing passengers and advising them to come to T4 which has more lanes and two checkpoints.
Old May 5, 2017, 5:59 pm

I'm traveling 5/6 from JFK. My flight is leaving from T2. If I go through security at T4, does that mean I have to take the bus that goes from one terminal to another? I don't remember which terminals require the bus ride but I know I have been on that bus and it can 30 minutes of additional travel time once you are past security. If that's the case, I think I would rather wait in a long TSA line. Thanks.
Old May 5, 2017, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by 1turbineshort
I'm traveling 5/6 from JFK. My flight is leaving from T2. If I go through security at T4, does that mean I have to take the bus that goes from one terminal to another? I don't remember which terminals require the bus ride but I know I have been on that bus and it can 30 minutes of additional travel time once you are past security. If that's the case, I think I would rather wait in a long TSA line. Thanks.
Yes, you'd have to take the bus, but it's more like 10 minutes than 30.

That said, T2 at off peak usually doesn't have much of a line and could handle half the checkpoint being closed, so depending on your time of departure it might still be faster to go straight to T2.
Old May 5, 2017, 6:36 pm

Hi, I just got this message from Delta today. My flight is DL 465 departing from JFK on Sunday May 6th at 9am from Terminal 4. I am checking bags. No TSA pre check. What time do I need to arrive at the airport? Was planning on 7:30am but maybe that will be too late? How is this construction affecting the security lines?
Old May 5, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by beckster914
Hi, I just got this message from Delta today. My flight is DL 465 departing from JFK on Sunday May 6th at 9am from Terminal 4. I am checking bags. No TSA pre check. What time do I need to arrive at the airport? Was planning on 7:30am but maybe that will be too late? How is this construction affecting the security lines?
DL's bag check deadline at JFK is 60 minutes prior to your flight, regardless of destination (actually, JFK is only US airport for DL with that early of a domestic bag check deadline). Furthermore, if you're coming via car, traffic getting to JFK can be notoriously unpredictable with traffic, so I'd say only leaving yourself a planned 30 minute window to get to the counter and have the agent print your bag tag is cutting it fairly close.

On top of that, JFK T4 has the most consistently long security lines I've seen for non-elite pax of any US airport. I'd give yourself 2 hours, just to be safe (I'm DM and have TSA Precheck and I still try to get there at least 90 minutes before just in case).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.