Wiki Posts
Search

Delta deplaned us in a hanger at LAX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Delta deplaned us by a hangar at LAX

This was a first for me: arriving at LAX from SFO this past Sunday and there were literally no gates available anywhere, so apparently someone got creative.

As we are taxiing towards the airport I noticed that we were passing terminal five, so I assumed that we were going to get dropped off at terminal six. However once we drove past terminal seven I really started to wonder what was going on. Finally, by the time we got to what felt like East Hollywood, we took a left and the Delta connection flight literally pulled right in front of one of the hangars at the far side of the runway where a bus eventually met us. It worked, but was a strange and new experience and wanted to share.

Thankfully Delta decided to hold our connecting flight for us and other pax, so even though we only had nine minutes to make the connection back to terminal five we do not miss our flight.

One strange thing that happened however, is that as passengers started to look very confused and concerned about where we were going I could overhear the flight attendant calling the pilots and saying "can you please make the announcement now, people really want to know what's going on?" But there was total radio silence from the cockpit. Eventually the flight attendant decided to just explain this to us her self and also explained how she was frustrated with the pilots for not being in better communication with everyone.

Last edited by jdrtravel; Apr 29, 2017 at 9:27 am
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
While connecting at LAX yesterday morning, I saw passengers going down permanent stairs from a glass door in T6 to a waiting white bus with Delta marked on the side; this must connect them with wherever certain flights were being staged.

With runway 7L/25R out of commission right now, LAX is a nightmare; the worst thing about connecting is not knowing when your plane will finish taxiing. On Monday night, we taxied about 30 minutes after landing on the wrong side of the airport on 24R. Yesterday morning, my flight from LAS also landed on 24R, taxied almost out to the dunes separating the airport from the ocean, then slowly worked its way to the "right side" of the airport before parking at gate 54B, 15 minutes of taxiing.

If you are going someplace where LAX is a possible connecting point, and you haven't booked your ticket yet, I would advise using SLC or some other place to connect; LAX is an absolute mess, and it is going to get worse as the terminal swap gets going in earnest.

The current runway construction is not supposed to end until sometime in June, 2017; however, presumably, once Delta gets on the north side of LAX, the taxiing issue presumably should go away.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Could you have been at Eagles Nest (the remote bus terminal that AA uses for some of their regionals)?

I think until the move is complete you should just be happy if you deplane anywhere in greater LA :-)
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Could you have been at Eagles Nest (the remote bus terminal that AA uses for some of their regionals)?

I think until the move is complete you should just be happy if you deplane anywhere in greater LA :-)
Possible if AA had a plane that was delayed and blocking a gate DL was to use.

No matter LAX is a mess. I'm surprised they didn't use one of the remote jet bridge stands. I actually like them. Regularly jet Ridge, and just feels more like a real terminal even if it's just one gate.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exwannabe
I'm going to give the OP the benefit of the doubt - they probably know the difference between an airplane hangar and the decrepit 9 gate terminal Eagle uses. The Delta hangar is just west of the Eagle's Nest.

Think about this - do ya really think AA would permit a Delta plane to use a gate at its regional jet terminal? Notta chance.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I've saw another thread on this about a month ago. (with a picture) It wasn't The Eagles Nest but it was like the OP described being next to a hanger.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
My first thought in that situation would be that the plane is being taken to a remote location due to a threat. The flight crew really should have communicated with the passengers and FAs.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
departed LAX-SEA a couple weeks ago from Gate 60P which involved walking down the outside stairs and a ride on the white bus to the parking area just west of the remote AA complex
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
The same thing happened to me on a SAN-LAX flight.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ND76
With runway 7L/25R out of commission right now, LAX is a nightmare; the worst thing about connecting is not knowing when your plane will finish taxiing. On Monday night, we taxied about 30 minutes after landing on the wrong side of the airport on 24R.
Were you on a flight from Seattle Monday evening? We landed on 24R Monday evening and sat/taxied for exactly 30 min before we finally pulled into the gate.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Originally Posted by WWads
My first thought in that situation would be that the plane is being taken to a remote location due to a threat. The flight crew really should have communicated with the passengers and FAs.
Exactly what I was thinking!
My spidey-senses would have been tingling.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
This happened to me a few years ago when arrived very late (well past midnight)
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
It was for sure a hanger and not a remote stand. The FA said she had never seen this before. We taxied to the very end past all the terminals and then turned left into an ally of several hangers. And yes it was a bit alarming.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I will be the first admit this adds absolutely no value to the conversation, but aircraft maintenance and storage are performed in a HANGAR ... in the closet your coat is on a HANGER
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Sounds like the DL maintained hanger. Be great full you were to on a mainline jet. The stairs DL use on those are like a springboard. You step on it and expect to be launched into orbit. Last year got to use one when at JFK with no gates they parked us at the old T3. Even the DL agents thought someone was going to end up in the hospital.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.