Community
Wiki Posts
Search

70 minute layover in MAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:31 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Would loved to hear a follow up to the original question from the OP. Hate it when these these threads start with nothing more.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:08 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Tomphot
Would loved to hear a follow up to the original question from the OP. Hate it when these these threads start with nothing more.
That was almost 2 years ago!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:12 pm

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by davetravels
That was almost 2 years ago!
Understand - just making a point!
Old Mar 28, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Tomphot
I was one of the folks that posted up thread. For what it's worth, I ended up with about 55 minutes to connect from inbound JFK to outbound Air Europa to Mallorca and it was a long, long walk, and a security check. Ultimately, I ended up making it with about 10 minutes to spare. (FWIW, I was in Delta One on the ride over the Atlantic)
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:24 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Your DL flight will arrive in T1 and your IB flight will leave from the (much nicer) T4. Here's what you're going to have to do:

0. Make sure you have your IB boarding pass in advance, such as through OLCI.
1. Arrive at T1. Follow signs to lounge 1.
2. Request the bus that goes to T4S (S for satellite). This bus only runs on request and requires that you have your IB boarding pass. Take the bus--you still haven't entered the Schengen Zone.
3. At T4S, follow signs for the "main" part of T4. You will now enter the Schengen Zone--this is the immigration step.
4. This is the part I'm not sure about--what to do with your bag you want to check. I don't know if there's a desk in T4 beyond security you can check your bag at or if you have to go all the way to the check in counters. I'd ask a gate agent to see if they can direct you to a spot you can check your bag without having to go back to the check in counters; if so, you won't have to reclear security. If you do have to go to the check in counters, then you will obviously need to reclear security.
3. Signs to follow should be to the departure gate and not to the "main" part. T4S is divided in M,R,S,U. "M" Gates are used for schengen flights, so there's a slight chance that OP's flight might depart from there. Immigration, if I remember correctly, happens in T4S before boarding the train to T4.
4. Iberia is very strict with luggage sizes at check-in but this might not be the case at the gate. Even if this is the case, they will gate check it and probably charge the passenger at the gate.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:25 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My guess is that you'll need to go landside to the IB check in counters to check your bag. The cutoff time for IB (coach?) bags will apply to this step. Normally the transfer desk (or gate) cannot accept checked bags for the aircraft hold.
IB at MAD checks the carry-ons at the gate if they are too big, and may or may not charge the checked luggage price.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
Deleted

Last edited by SuperG1955; Oct 5, 2019 at 8:12 pm Reason: Moved to IB Forum
Old Oct 6, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
I'm back from the IB Forum with some DL questions. The responses there were that a 2:35 connection from DL to IB might work but the odds were against it.

The main item was Immigration with a non-EU passport. Is there a Fast Lane or Tight Connection Lane. If so, will we get a card or something from the FA or do we see the GA as we deplane? We're in D1 and should get off the flight quickly.

Hopefully baggage won't be a problem. We'll have carry-ons from JFK-MAD, no checked luggage. They're over sized for EU standards and we'd expect to gate check them at IB. We have a bag included in our fare so that shouldn't be a hassle.

We'll have our IB boarding passes.

Is the following the correct procedure to follow? After deplaning at T1, we follow the signs to Lounge 1. Request the Bus to T4S. (Where do we get the bus?) At T4S, follow the signs to the gate. We clear Immigration at T4S, take the train to T4 and go to our gate.

Since we're on separate tickets I'm assuming that if we misconnect our only option is to purchase new tickets. The next flight is on AirEuropa with an additional 3 hours to connect. Is a train to Seville an option from MAD?
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I'll answer the questions I know...

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Is the following the correct procedure to follow? After deplaning at T1, we follow the signs to Lounge 1. Request the Bus to T4S. (Where do we get the bus?) At T4S, follow the signs to the gate. We clear Immigration at T4S, take the train to T4 and go to our gate.
That is correct. Lounge 1 is really just a small gate-like area with an attendant. When you get there, ask the attendant for the bus and they will tell you where to go.

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
Is a train to Seville an option from MAD?
Not directly from MAD, but you can easily take a train from Madrid's main train station (Atocha) to Seville. It's less than 3 hours and there's at least one train per hour. Go to the Renfe website to find times and prices.

As for how to get from MAD to Atocha, it depends on which terminal you're at. There is a train directly from T4 to Atocha. But if you're at terminal 1 and you've already missed your connection, you can take the Airport Express bus directly from T1 to Atocha (I think this is easier than taking the inter-terminal bus to T4 and then the train from there.)

More information on getting from MAD to Atocha (and elsewhere in Madrid) here:

https://www.madrid-traveller.com/get...adrid-airport/

Last edited by LoganFlyer; Oct 6, 2019 at 2:23 pm
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:36 pm

If we don't make the connection I think we'll take the AirEuropa flight a couple of hours later. Thanks for the train info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.