FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Complimentary Medallion upgrade to Iceland (JFK-KEF | MSP-KEF) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1838612-complimentary-medallion-upgrade-iceland-jfk-kef-msp-kef.html)

nfg05 Apr 24, 17 7:06 am

Complimentary Medallion upgrade to Iceland (JFK-KEF | MSP-KEF)

Does anyone know if DL's JFK-KEF and MSP-KEF service this summer will be eligible for complimentary Medallion upgrades?

DL usually flies int'l configured 757s but this summer is putting domestic birds on the route. DL page doesn't mention Iceland specifically but given the service is First Class rather than Delta One I'd expect the complimentary upgrade.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...tml#firstclass

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...d-this-summer/

bretthexum Apr 24, 17 7:10 am

I doubt it. I could be wrong though

SCEflyer Apr 24, 17 7:24 am

Originally Posted by nfg05 (Post 28222294)
Does anyone know if DL's JFK-KEF and MSP-KEF service this summer will be eligible for complimentary Medallion upgrades?

DL usually flies int'l configured 757s but this summer is putting domestic birds on the route. DL page doesn't mention Iceland specifically but given the service is First Class rather than Delta One I'd expect the complimentary upgrade.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...tml#firstclass

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...d-this-summer/

I just checked two random dates for June. Neither route is being marketed as D1 trips. The front cabin is simply listed as "First".

You might find it worthwhile to give DL a call.

flyerCO Apr 24, 17 7:27 am

KEF is upgrade eligible. Just like destinations in Northern South America that don't get D1 service. Regardless of aircraft the service is domestic first level. Though will get lounge access.

jrkmsp Apr 24, 17 7:31 am

They used 75H/Ds for most of the peak summer season last year as well.

Interesting that it's upgrade eligible. I don't remember hearing that last year.

flyerCO Apr 24, 17 7:35 am

Originally Posted by jrkmsp (Post 28222389)
They used 75H/Ds for most of the peak summer season last year as well.

Interesting that it's upgrade eligible. I don't remember hearing that last year.

KEF has never gotten D1 service regardless of aircraft used.

kop84 Apr 24, 17 7:37 am

I believe KEF is the only TATL (well TATLish) destination that doesn't have lie-flats year round.

TTT Apr 24, 17 7:41 am

Assume then that it is RUC eligible too? If so, that might be one of the better value routes for RUC usage.

WidgetKid Apr 24, 17 7:50 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28222405)

A handful of years ago I flew JFK-KEF close to when it first started. It was full BE service with both dinner and breakfast (granted, breakfast was only cereal or something like that and was served about 2.5 hours after dinner!).

I have never heard that either KEF route is upgrade eligible and have never experienced this, but I certainly could be wrong. I know it wasn't eligible when I took it years ago, but that could have changed. I don't see any sort of exemption for it on dl.com, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Especially during the summer though, there seems to be a lot of paid J traffic on these routes so even if they are upgrade eligible, I think it probably isn't likely that very many medallions get upgraded anyway.

kop84 Apr 24, 17 7:51 am

Originally Posted by TTT (Post 28222426)
Assume then that it is RUC eligible too? If so, that might be one of the better value routes for RUC usage.

Not sure but from a few spot checks you can get F for ~$2k from MSP or JFK.

Anywhere from $650-950 for Y.

I'd say a decent return on a RUC if you're not able to take advantage of the Transcon. Although with BOS-SFO and LAX-DCA going to D1 there are definitely a few more opportunities, but still not much for anyone who doesn't live on a coast.

justforfun Apr 24, 17 7:53 am

Now I feel like a sucker paying for a business class ticket JFK-KEF in August.

bretthexum Apr 24, 17 7:57 am

I have coworkers who have done this in the past and it was never complimentary upgrade eligible. Did something change? Even doing a dummy booking it shows no upgrade to first class.

WidgetKid Apr 24, 17 8:03 am

Originally Posted by bretthexum (Post 28222488)
I have coworkers who have done this in the past and it was never complimentary upgrade eligible. Did something change? Even doing a dummy booking it shows no upgrade to first class.

That's what I was thinking too, but I couldn't find anything that said definitively. Assuming that this route is considered TATL though (and I'm relatively certain it is), it is not listed as an exemption and so would not be upgrade or ruc eligible (regardless of what kind of aircraft flies it).

flyerCO Apr 24, 17 8:19 am

Originally Posted by bretthexum (Post 28222488)

Known issue with the booking system. It sees J instead of F and says no upgrades. Once it's booked it'll show as eligible.

orca15 Apr 24, 17 8:28 am

TUE, XX JUL 2017 XX DAYS FROM DEPARTURE JFK to KEF ON TIME
PASSENGER STATUS: CONFIRMED
NOT COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE ELIGIBLE
SEATS: ....
Sorry to burst your bubble. From "My Trips"

Tell you what, though, I'll call and try to apply a RUC.

[Added] DM Line says "Has to be a Global (GUC) as it is determined by area, not class/aircraft."

flyerCO Apr 24, 17 8:45 am

Originally Posted by orca15 (Post 28222622)
Sorry to burst your bubble. From "My Trips"

Tell you what, though, I'll call and try to apply a RUC.

[Added] DM Line says "Has to be a Global (GUC) as it is determined by area, not class/aircraft."

I'm not just talking theoretically. Can tell you I've been upgraded on it and RUC is usable.

Aslo the DM line response is plainly wrong. You can use a RUC on flights to Northern South America as long as it's not a D1 route.

WidgetKid Apr 24, 17 8:51 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28222698)
I'm not just talking theoretically. Can tell you I've been upgraded on it and RUC is usable.

Aslo the DM line response is plainly wrong. You can use a RUC on flights to Northern South America as long as it's not a D1 route.

Were you upgraded at the gate or at the medallion upgrade window? Just wondering because if it was at the gate, it was probably an opup.

I also haven't seen anything that indicates that KEF is treated at all like Northern South America. All indications seem to be other than equipment difference, it is treated the same as any other TATL flight.

flyerCO Apr 24, 17 9:03 am

Originally Posted by WidgetKid (Post 28222725)
Were you upgraded at the gate or at the medallion upgrade window? Just wondering because if it was at the gate, it was probably an opup.

I also haven't seen anything that indicates that KEF is treated at all like Northern South America. All indications seem to be other than equipment difference, it is treated the same as any other TATL flight.

I've been upgraded both at window and in advance using a RUC. None were gate upgrades.

JayTeaBee Apr 24, 17 9:09 am

I flew JFK-KEF last year on an non D1 bird and wasn't on the upgrade list.

miraclebear2003 Apr 24, 17 9:26 am

No actual experience, but I did read the first link. It says that FC upgrades are available on certain routes. I looked at the list and it does not include Europe. Isn't Iceland in Europe?

klashn Apr 24, 17 9:37 am

I'll chime in with my old data:
I flew JFK-KEF seasonal back in 2014, it was a newly renovated 757-200 D1 bird with lie flats. Wasn't upgrade eligible back then unless using a GUC.

SDQBound Apr 24, 17 9:42 am

But KEF doesn't have the same rules as Northern South America. From My Itineraries, I can see the same: NOT COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE ELIGIBLE

This is not the same as flying to Northern South America, where it says that the flight is upgrade eligible after booking. Similar with my usual JFK-SDQ flight, it says not eligible because it has business class fare codes instead of first class fare codes but once you are booked, the upgrade is automatically requested.

airmotive Apr 24, 17 9:48 am

When I flew it in October 2016 as a Diamond, no, not upgrade eligible.
Might as well buy a business class ticket...it might be the cheapest part of your trip!
;-)
(I saw a T-shirt at the airport that read, "Shop Iceland. It's cheaper that Sweden!")

rylan Apr 24, 17 9:49 am

I'm not aware of KEF being medallion upgrade eligible at any recent point either. According to the T&Cs for upgrades and RUC usage, there is nothing to indicate that it is an exception that is allowed.

Not doubting that flyerCO did get upgraded somehow, but there doesn't seem to be a published method how to do so. I just did a dummy booking and it shows "Not Complimentary Upgrade Eligible"

Either way, it certainly isn't worth paying 4k+ for a domestic first seat and service on a 5.5hr flight.

flyerCO Apr 24, 17 10:16 am

My flights were back in Spring/Sunmer 2015 if it has any bearing.

SeaHawg Apr 24, 17 11:38 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28222405)

I flew JFK-KEF last April- 75S marketed ad D1 and not UG eligible.

From my bulkhead C+ Seat, it appeared that full D1 service was given.

SeaHawg Apr 24, 17 11:39 am

Originally Posted by airmotive (Post 28222971)
When I flew it in October 2016 as a Diamond, no, not upgrade eligible.
Might as well buy a business class ticket...it might be the cheapest part of your trip!
;-)
(I saw a T-shirt at the airport that read, "Shop Iceland. It's cheaper that Sweden!")

Ha! No kidding! Iceland was expensive, but it is a lovely country. I can't wait to go back!

orca15 Apr 24, 17 1:14 pm

I'm not talking theoretically either - ticket says not upgrade eligible and DM line confirms. What does the Northern part of another continent have to do with this? Iceland is in Europe.

EchoVictor Apr 24, 17 1:20 pm

As far as I know, it's not upgrade eligible. I have a flight coming up in the summer, and I wrote Delta to tell them this is, as far as I can tell, the ONLY flight in their system without D1 equipment that isn't complementary upgrade eligible.

Here's the response

Dear Mr. EchoVictor,

RE: Case Number xxxxxxxx

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately, we do not offer complimentary medallion upgrades to
Iceland at this point in time because Iceland is considered part of
Europe. Our Complimentary Medallion Upgrades are based off of the Area
of Travel. We do have Complimentary Upgrades in some markets that have
the Business/Delta One cabin. I apologize for any inconvenience this may
have caused, and I will be forwarding your feedback to our SkyMiles
Leadership for consideration for any future changes that may occur to
the SkyMiles Program.

Mr. EchoVictor, thank you again for giving us an opportunity to respond to
your concern. We very much appreciate your Million Miler Diamond
Medallion loyalty to Delta and look forward to the privilege of serving
you again soon.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxx
Diamond Desk
delta.com

Often1 Apr 24, 17 1:34 pm

Wow !

Actual facts which relate to OP's specific question, not what happened on some random flight in the past.

Strikes me that this was easily solved by OP calling DL and asking.

DL may well consider factors such as D1, aircraft, and number of meals. But, those are not the answer.

orca15 Apr 24, 17 1:56 pm

Our Complimentary Medallion Upgrades are based off of the Area
of Travel.
This is what the DM line told me as well- area of travel, not aircraft/class/type seat.

flyerCO Apr 24, 17 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by orca15 (Post 28224038)
I'm not talking theoretically either - ticket says not upgrade eligible and DM line confirms. What does the Northern part of another continent have to do with this? Iceland is in Europe.

Either got lucky twice, the rules have change (which is possible), or as happens frequently with DL no one knows for sure but makes it up.

Regardless NSA is used to show that only routes with D1 service require GUC/don't get free upgrades. The replies received so far under cut that well established policy by saying it's only per area.

aCavalierInCoach Apr 24, 17 2:18 pm

I flew KEF-JFK last week - no comp medallion upgrades. 4/16 seats went to NRSAs or GUCs at the gate. I actually think the front cabin was being sold as first (this was part of a KEF-JFK-LAX trip that i originally booked at 135k pts for front cabin and then couldn't resist downgrading at 30k pts for eco, and I recall the "mixed cabin" moniker).

aCavalierInCoach Apr 24, 17 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach (Post 28224323)
I flew KEF-JFK last week - no comp medallion upgrades. 4/16 seats went to NRSAs or GUCs at the gate. I actually think the front cabin was being sold as first (this was part of a KEF-JFK-LAX trip that i originally booked at 135k pts for front cabin and then couldn't resist downgrading at 30k pts for eco, and I recall the "mixed cabin" moniker).

Also, just a warning that KEF is a complete CF in the morning; Icelandair in particular seems to be short of ticket counter space. Give yourself a bit of extra time if you need to check a bike/skis/oversize bag as you need to maneuver around these crowds.

nfg05 Apr 24, 17 2:23 pm

Normally I trust FT over a random phone agent who may or may not be familiar with the policy. Have definitely been given inaccurate info on the phone before.

Given the divergent opinions here I contacted DL on Twitter and as has been posted upthread, no complimentary upgrades on this route.

Response from DL below.

--

Thanks for your patience while I researched your concerns. JFK to KEF is considered Transatlantic. Complimentary Medallion Upgrades to Premium cabin are not offered unless you have a Global Certificate. If you space is not available to upgrade, you may be wait-listed for the upgrade. I hope this clears up some of your questions. Thank you for tweeting us today. *NW

flyerCO Apr 24, 17 2:29 pm

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...s.html#regions

Here is a link to chart. Notice if sold as FC a RUC is eligible to be used. I talked with a nice DM line supervisor and she said the basic answer is no one really knows. However she agreed that it should be eligible I'm her opinion based on chart and the fact non-D1 routes to South America qualify. In fact she brought up South America without me mentioning it.

KDCAflyer Apr 24, 17 2:34 pm

It's rather silly that flights to KEF aren't upgrade eligible. Who is seriously paying that much for a quick JFK-KEF hop? If a cabin is regularly being filled with non-revs, that should give DL a clue that F/J is not a hot commodity on that route.

Carpboy823 Apr 24, 17 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28224386)
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...s.html#regions

Here is a link to chart. Notice if sold as FC a RUC is eligible to be used. I talked with a nice DM line supervisor and she said the basic answer is no one really knows. However she agreed that it should be eligible I'm her opinion based on chart and the fact non-D1 routes to South America qualify. In fact she brought up South America without me mentioning it.

My interpretation is that you have to be eligible from the first chart (geographic) in order to move on to the second chart. So non-D1 to northern S America qualifies for RUC because it passes both tests, but KEF does not qualify for RUC because it fails the geography portion. But yeah, it's not particularly clear in any case.

JayTeaBee Apr 24, 17 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28224273)
Either got lucky twice, the rules have change (which is possible)

OpUp perhaps? aka Operational Upgrade, when the flight is oversold they bump some pax to J, usually starting with elites.

Whoops missed this:

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28222771)
I've been upgraded both at window and in advance using a RUC. None were gate upgrades.

You sure you didn't use GUC? Either way, nice work. When we went there were open seats in first both directions, which really hurt to see.

orca15 Apr 24, 17 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach (Post 28224332)
Also, just a warning that KEF is a complete CF in the morning; Icelandair in particular seems to be short of ticket counter space. Give yourself a bit of extra time if you need to check a bike/skis/oversize bag as you need to maneuver around these crowds.

+1000- Last year arriving 3 hours prior to departure wasn't enough (but they held the flight for another 50 people behind us).