Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Medallion upgrade to Iceland (JFK-KEF | MSP-KEF)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Medallion upgrade to Iceland (JFK-KEF | MSP-KEF)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by orca15
Sorry to burst your bubble. From "My Trips"

Tell you what, though, I'll call and try to apply a RUC.

[Added] DM Line says "Has to be a Global (GUC) as it is determined by area, not class/aircraft."
I'm not just talking theoretically. Can tell you I've been upgraded on it and RUC is usable.

Aslo the DM line response is plainly wrong. You can use a RUC on flights to Northern South America as long as it's not a D1 route.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'm not just talking theoretically. Can tell you I've been upgraded on it and RUC is usable.

Aslo the DM line response is plainly wrong. You can use a RUC on flights to Northern South America as long as it's not a D1 route.
Were you upgraded at the gate or at the medallion upgrade window? Just wondering because if it was at the gate, it was probably an opup.

I also haven't seen anything that indicates that KEF is treated at all like Northern South America. All indications seem to be other than equipment difference, it is treated the same as any other TATL flight.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by WidgetKid
Were you upgraded at the gate or at the medallion upgrade window? Just wondering because if it was at the gate, it was probably an opup.

I also haven't seen anything that indicates that KEF is treated at all like Northern South America. All indications seem to be other than equipment difference, it is treated the same as any other TATL flight.
I've been upgraded both at window and in advance using a RUC. None were gate upgrades.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: Delta PM
I flew JFK-KEF last year on an non D1 bird and wasn't on the upgrade list.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
No actual experience, but I did read the first link. It says that FC upgrades are available on certain routes. I looked at the list and it does not include Europe. Isn't Iceland in Europe?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: DL FO, Hertz #1 Gold
I'll chime in with my old data:
I flew JFK-KEF seasonal back in 2014, it was a newly renovated 757-200 D1 bird with lie flats. Wasn't upgrade eligible back then unless using a GUC.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:42 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat

But KEF doesn't have the same rules as Northern South America. From My Itineraries, I can see the same: NOT COMPLIMENTARY UPGRADE ELIGIBLE

This is not the same as flying to Northern South America, where it says that the flight is upgrade eligible after booking. Similar with my usual JFK-SDQ flight, it says not eligible because it has business class fare codes instead of first class fare codes but once you are booked, the upgrade is automatically requested.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
When I flew it in October 2016 as a Diamond, no, not upgrade eligible.
Might as well buy a business class ticket...it might be the cheapest part of your trip!
;-)
(I saw a T-shirt at the airport that read, "Shop Iceland. It's cheaper that Sweden!")
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'm not aware of KEF being medallion upgrade eligible at any recent point either. According to the T&Cs for upgrades and RUC usage, there is nothing to indicate that it is an exception that is allowed.

Not doubting that flyerCO did get upgraded somehow, but there doesn't seem to be a published method how to do so. I just did a dummy booking and it shows "Not Complimentary Upgrade Eligible"

Either way, it certainly isn't worth paying 4k+ for a domestic first seat and service on a 5.5hr flight.

Last edited by rylan; Apr 24, 2017 at 10:28 am
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

My flights were back in Spring/Sunmer 2015 if it has any bearing.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: Blinged Out
KEF has never gotten D1 service regardless of aircraft used.
I flew JFK-KEF last April- 75S marketed ad D1 and not UG eligible.

From my bulkhead C+ Seat, it appeared that full D1 service was given.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by airmotive
When I flew it in October 2016 as a Diamond, no, not upgrade eligible.
Might as well buy a business class ticket...it might be the cheapest part of your trip!
;-)
(I saw a T-shirt at the airport that read, "Shop Iceland. It's cheaper that Sweden!")
Ha! No kidding! Iceland was expensive, but it is a lovely country. I can't wait to go back!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)

I'm not talking theoretically either - ticket says not upgrade eligible and DM line confirms. What does the Northern part of another continent have to do with this? Iceland is in Europe.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
As far as I know, it's not upgrade eligible. I have a flight coming up in the summer, and I wrote Delta to tell them this is, as far as I can tell, the ONLY flight in their system without D1 equipment that isn't complementary upgrade eligible.

Here's the response

Dear Mr. EchoVictor,

RE: Case Number xxxxxxxx

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately, we do not offer complimentary medallion upgrades to
Iceland at this point in time because Iceland is considered part of
Europe. Our Complimentary Medallion Upgrades are based off of the Area
of Travel. We do have Complimentary Upgrades in some markets that have
the Business/Delta One cabin. I apologize for any inconvenience this may
have caused, and I will be forwarding your feedback to our SkyMiles
Leadership for consideration for any future changes that may occur to
the SkyMiles Program.

Mr. EchoVictor, thank you again for giving us an opportunity to respond to
your concern. We very much appreciate your Million Miler Diamond
Medallion loyalty to Delta and look forward to the privilege of serving
you again soon.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxx
Diamond Desk
delta.com
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Wow !

Actual facts which relate to OP's specific question, not what happened on some random flight in the past.

Strikes me that this was easily solved by OP calling DL and asking.

DL may well consider factors such as D1, aircraft, and number of meals. But, those are not the answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.