Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Question about Sky Miles earning system

Question about Sky Miles earning system

Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom_MN
I see, what matters is that I bought KLM flight # designations. So it doesn't really matter that the ticket number was 074_____, but that the ticket had KL XXXX operated by Delta (or Air France) on it?
Well sort of. An 006 DL ticket with KL or AF coded flights will earn based on spend for all the flights (as DL knows how much you paid for the ticket since they sold it to you). An 074 TATL ticket with only DL or KL coded flights (but not AF) will also earn based on spend as KL apparently now shares cost information with DL for those tickets. The addition of the AF coded flight to the ticket is what cause the mileage calculation to be based on miles instead of spend.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Both the Delta and Air France segments were coded KL XXXX, if that makes any difference. There were only KL codes on the ticket.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom_MN
Both the Delta and Air France segments were coded KL XXXX, if that makes any difference. There were only KL codes on the ticket.
Looks like I misspoke. In order for 074 tickets to earn based on spend, all flights must actually be operated by either KL/DL, not simply KL/DL coded. So the AF operated flight is what kicked the whole itin over to mileage based. Here are the requirements for spend-based earning from the KL partner earnings page.

1. PART OF A TRANSATLANTIC ITINERARY(1);
2. TICKETED BY KLM; AND
3. OPERATED BY EITHER DELTA OR KLM"
Old May 31, 2017, 9:51 pm

Related question... Flying on VS-coded, VS-operated flight in Q class JFK-LHR RT. Would like to put my SkyMiles number on it, but a little confused how the mile earning works as I'm a newbie to Delta.

Based on this chart, am I correct that I would earn the following?
  • 3,440 MDM each way
  • $516 MQD each way
  • 2,580 base miles each way

Thank you in advance!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 3:31 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by dustclee
Related question... Flying on VS-coded, VS-operated flight in Q class JFK-LHR RT. Would like to put my SkyMiles number on it, but a little confused how the mile earning works as I'm a newbie to Delta.

Based on this chart, am I correct that I would earn the following?
  • 3,440 MDM each way
  • $516 MQD each way
  • 2,580 base miles each way

Thank you in advance!
gcmap says 3,451 miles each way.

So you should get:
3,451 MQM each way
$518 MQD
2,588 RDM

Looks like you read the chart and did the math correctly, we are just using different sources for the JFK-LHR distance. I have found gcmap to be extremely reliable with crediting to Delta, usually within 1 mile.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oddly, DL tells you it's 3440 miles which you select the flight information details, but when you login and select an itin for booking, it says it earns 3452 MQM's.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 6:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by C W

So you should get:
3,451 MQM each way
$518 MQD
2,588 RDM

Looks like you read the chart and did the math correctly, we are just using different sources for the JFK-LHR distance. I have found gcmap to be extremely reliable with crediting to Delta, usually within 1 mile.
The RDM number here (five times MQDs) is for a nonelite.

I always use the miles DL states for the flight (if it's not shown during booking, you can usually click on the flight number and find the DL-defined distance, sometimes with one additional click) rather than looking up the great circle numbers, which DL doesn't necessarily use.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One additional detail, if it is an DL 006 ticket, miles would be earned based on amount paid, not mileage flown -- even if VS coded. If it is a VS 932 ticket, then it will be based on miles flown.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:44 am

Thank you for the quick confirmation guys! It's a 932 ticket so looks like it will be based on miles flown. VS also says 3,440 miles on their site, so I'll just go with the lower number (versus 3,451) to avoid any disappointments

Originally Posted by LBJ
One additional detail, if it is an DL 006 ticket, miles would be earned based on amount paid, not mileage flown -- even if VS coded. If it is a VS 932 ticket, then it will be based on miles flown.
Originally Posted by C W

So you should get:
3,451 MQM each way
$518 MQD
2,588 RDM

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The RDM number here (five times MQDs) is for a nonelite.

I always use the miles DL states for the flight (if it's not shown during booking, you can usually click on the flight number and find the DL-defined distance, sometimes with one additional click) rather than looking up the great circle numbers, which DL doesn't necessarily use.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta GM, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dustclee
Thank you for the quick confirmation guys! It's a 932 ticket so looks like it will be based on miles flown. VS also says 3,440 miles on their site, so I'll just go with the lower number (versus 3,451) to avoid any disappointments
On a related note, I purchased a $1200 CI round-trip flight and flew on CI metal (CI coded) at the end of 2016. I used my SkyMiles number and was credited the miles based on distance using the CI accrual chart (which is fine), but was credited $3900+ MQDs. Not sure how the MQD calculation came to be. Didn't matter to me since I have a reserve card and didn't need the MQDs...
Old Jun 2, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by NYCTraveller
On a related note, I purchased a $1200 CI round-trip flight and flew on CI metal (CI coded) at the end of 2016. I used my SkyMiles number and was credited the miles based on distance using the CI accrual chart (which is fine), but was credited $3900+ MQDs. Not sure how the MQD calculation came to be. Didn't matter to me since I have a reserve card and didn't need the MQDs...
Earn Miles with Delta's Partners: CHINA AIRLINES

(3) Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) apply to Medallion qualification. Flights marketed and ticketed by the partner will earn MQDs based on a percentage of distance flown* as determined by the fare class paid.

*For purposes of mileage credit, "distance flown" means the calculated distance between origin and destination, as determined by Delta in its sole discretion, regardless of the actual distance traveled on any individual flight.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...lars.html.html

Terms & Conditions
Medallion Qualification Dollars:
The MQDs you will earn when traveling on select partner marketed flights not ticketed through Delta (i.e. the ticket number does not start with 006) as well as when traveling on exception fares (such as consolidator, cruise, vacation packages, inclusive tour and other tickets) will be equal to one-fifth of the base miles and Class Bonus miles (when applicable) earned on the itinerary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.