Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Getting married and looking for advice on AF upgrades to business or first

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skyteam

Hi everyone!

Great news! I'm getting married in September, and my fiancée and I will be holding our wedding back home in Beirut so that we can be close to family.

Ideally, we'd like to fly business (or first) because it's a special occasion; that said, business/first inventory is expensive on Air France! Economy is ~ $1,200; business is ~ $3,600, first is $$$.

Do you guys have any advice on how to maximize the odds of being upgraded to business or first on this itinerary:

JFK -> CDG (9/1)
CDG -> BEY (9/3)
BEY -> CDG -> JFK (9/17-ish)

I'm SkyTeam Elite through Delta PM. Couple of options:

* Are GUCs transferrable? And if so, are they usable on AF-marketed flights?
* We're sitting on a lot of AMEX points - is there a way to find upgrade inventory that we can use Delta SkyMiles or American Express points to upgrade with?

Thanks!
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding

Have you purchased the tickets?
What airlines? (All AF?)
Are any codeshares (airline flight number not the same as operating airline)?
What fare booking class?
You may have been better looking an business class award flights

Your chances of an upgrade are low.
Cross airline-ffp upgrades are uncommon.
Star Alliance has cross airline upgrade scheme. but the scheme has a lot of t&c's. So useless for most people.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skyteam
Thanks!

Haven't purchased tickets yet. Flexible on carrier - hoping to stick with DL / AF / MEA.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:54 am

Programs: Delta 2M DM, Southwest A List and CP
Originally Posted by dantheman156
Do you guys have any advice on how to maximize the odds of being upgraded to business or first on this itinerary:

JFK -> CDG (9/1)
CDG -> BEY (9/3)
BEY -> CDG -> JFK (9/17-ish)

I'm SkyTeam Elite through Delta PM. Couple of options:

* Are GUCs transferrable? And if so, are they usable on AF-marketed flights?
* We're sitting on a lot of AMEX points - is there a way to find upgrade inventory that we can use Delta SkyMiles or American Express points to upgrade with?

Thanks!
Congrats on your wedding!
1. GUCs are non-transferable; the GUC "holder" needs to be traveling and can take one traveling companion (4 GUCs required total for a round trip for two people)
2. Are you both Delta PM? If folks need to be "bumped up" to business, then they usually take only elites, starting from DM. My experience is that DL elites have better OPUP chances for DL flights than for AF.
3. Upgrades with DL miles usually are ridiculously expensive; better get an award ticket.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:18 am

You haven't mentioned how much is "a lot" of Amex points, but ...

If you have an Amex Platinum Business card, then by far your easiest and guaranteed upgrade options would be to buy your business class flights on amextravel.com, one person at a time, using amex "pay with points" feature which refunds you 50% of the amex points.

This requires you to have an amex business platinum card, and requires you to buy the flight per person at a time unless you have 700000 amex points to pay for 2 people with points, and requires you to have some familiarity with their 50% pay with points feature on which there are blogs.

You won't have to deal with availability, or trying to upgrade when no space is available etc, and your flights will earn you miles/status also.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:15 am
mdb

You can transfer your AMEX points into sky miles and then use them. Frankly less than 4K for bus class tix is not too bad.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:20 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PHXflier
Congrats on your wedding!

2. Are you both Delta PM? If folks need to be "bumped up" to business, then they usually take only elites, starting from DM. My experience is that DL elites have better OPUP chances for DL flights than for AF.
My experience is the opposite. I've seen many more upgrades in AF as a DL Silver/Gold (at least one TATL upgrade per year) than what I have seen in DL as a Platinum (zero).
Old Apr 18, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Congratulations.
Opups are a possibility on either DL or AF, but probably not too likely for two platinums. As a DL diamond, I gotten 2 or 3 of them on AF CDG to Asia.

If you want some comfort but don't want to spring for D1 or AF business -- maybe booking JFK-CDG and vv in AF premium economy. I think that all of AF PE is either 2-3-2 or 2-4-2, depending on the plane and with 38" pitch and 19" width isn't too bad.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SDQBound
My experience is the opposite. I've seen many more upgrades in AF as a DL Silver/Gold (at least one TATL upgrade per year) than what I have seen in DL as a Platinum (zero).
Regardless, if they purchase coach tickets, they'll only potentially be upgraded to premium economy, not business class and certainly not first class.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dantheman156
Marry the AF CEO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.