Delta Short Check Baggage

Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hostelworld.com Diamond Plated Platinum
Delta Short Check Baggage

Hi all! I am not a Delta flyer really, so my apologies if this post should go somewhere else.

I am looking at an award flight from ANC-MSP-AMS-MUC. The layover in MSP is 9 hours, which is enough time for me to go and see what skiing in Minnesota is like (I have always wanted to check it out, but dont have the time for a trip generally in winter). During this 9 hour layover I could go get a few turns in, thus I was wondering what the possibility of Short Checking a bag is. Everything I have read made it seem that it is not possible, but maybe there is a trick or two that some of you know about.

I would much rather ski than visit Mall of America .

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:03 pm

Short checking is the default option for connections exceeding 6 hours, and mandatory for 12 hours.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Do realize that skiing in MN means cross country skiing?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:38 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Widgets
Short checking is the default option for connections exceeding 6 hours, and mandatory for 12 hours.
Darn. I've always enjoyed not having to get my bag when overnighting through AMS. Never tried it in the US.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by C W
Darn. I've always enjoyed not having to get my bag when overnighting through AMS. Never tried it in the US.
AMS/CDG are exception airports to the rule. While you can still short check over 6hrs, AMS/CDG can transfer a bag up to 24hrs instead of 12.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Do realize that skiing in MN means cross country skiing?
Hey some of those hills produced some of the best downhill skiers in the country! It's included in our passes, and skiing a day between Alaska and Europe doesn't sound like a bad layover when all awards have an 8+ hour layover somewhere
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AJCU
Hey some of those hills produced some of the best downhill skiers in the country! It's included in our passes, and skiing a day between Alaska and Europe doesn't sound like a bad layover when all awards have an 8+ hour layover somewhere
Knew it produced some great skiers. Just didn't think that absent a certain part of the state that downhill skiing was big. Appears though some love it for the shorter runs then you get at most places. When I skied I preferred longer runs then having to keep going back up and down.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Knew it produced some great skiers. Just didn't think that absent a certain part of the state that downhill skiing was big. Appears though some love it for the shorter runs then you get at most places. When I skied I preferred longer runs then having to keep going back up and down.
TO each their own I suppose! As someone who grew up skiing Colorado for 75+ days each season and traveling the world for skiing, it's just something I thought might be interesting. Sure, not many people travel to Minnesota, Wisconsin or Michigan for skiing, but it is something different. Just thought it might be a cool layover!

Thanks for all the input on the baggage folks. Looks like it won't be a problem at all, and ought to be a nice layover!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:50 am

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM, UA Silver (thanks Marriott!), Marriott Ambassador
I am someone who has done this very thing in MN (skied on a layover in MSP) - although I usually work it so I overnight and go night skiing or afternoon skiing and then spend the night before continuing my trip the next day.

They have a nice little ski area called Hyland Hills in Bloomington not too far from the airport where you can get your fix. The only problem is that it is closed now (not sure if your trip is for very late season, spring skiing this year, or next year) - I think they closed it early this year due to an extremely warm winter (for them) up there..

https://www.threeriversparks.org/loc...hills-ski-area

Definitely better than going to the MOA though!!
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:05 am

Programs: Delta, AA, United, Hilton Diamond, Marriott
Unless its next winter....with warm temps and a fair amount of rain lately, nothing left to ski on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.