Search

NYC to Asia & Back

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
NYC to Asia & Back

Hello all,

Long time lurker here. My wife (FO) and I (Plat) would like to fly Delta and take a trip to Asia in August or September. We would either do NYC - HKG - TYO - NYC or NYC - TYO - HKG - NYC. We're not paritcular concerned as to where we go first but would like to go both places. I tried boking a multi city trip on Delta but it returned no results. I also called the plat line and they said there was no HKG - TYO or TYO - HKG flights.

I thought I would put it to the experts; Is there a way I can book this trip and get full/partial mqm credit for the HKG/TYO flights?

If not, I think the plan will be to fly Delta for the trip to Asia and the return trip back to NYC and then fly a separate itinerary within Asia.

If you need more info please let me know and thanks for the help in advance.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by hope2help
Hello all,

Long time lurker here. My wife (FO) and I (Plat) would like to fly Delta and take a trip to Asia in August or September. We would either do NYC - HKG - TYO - NYC or NYC - TYO - HKG - NYC. We're not paritcular concerned as to where we go first but would like to go both places. I tried boking a multi city trip on Delta but it returned no results. I also called the plat line and they said there was no HKG - TYO or TYO - HKG flights.

I thought I would put it to the experts; Is there a way I can book this trip and get full/partial mqm credit for the HKG/TYO flights?

If not, I think the plan will be to fly Delta for the trip to Asia and the return trip back to NYC and then fly a separate itinerary within Asia.

If you need more info please let me know and thanks for the help in advance.
If I were in your shoes, I'd probably book the TYO-HKG/HKG-TYO separately, doing my own legwork to find a DL partner flight that would earn miles. Off the top of my head, I'm unclear on any benefits to having that leg on the same ticket as your US-Asia legs. Of course, depending on how badly you want the miles, you'd need to watch out for non-earning fare classes. China Airlines might be able to serve you well for this--a DL partner that isn't KE and doesn't require connecting in China and the associated problems.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
However KE won't earn MQM/MQD. Best bet and likely cheapest will be China Eastern through one of their hubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.