Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why did our plane take off the 'wrong way?'

Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, million miler

Flew SNA-MSP yesterday for not my first time. Had the 645am departure. Plane left gate for what I thought would be getting in the conga line for when the 7am departures start. Lo and behold, we taxi down to the 'other end' of the runway while all of the other planes line up near the normal departure point. About 5 planes take off. Then we take off in the other direction, passing over several planes lined up for the normal departure. Any reason why our plane would go reverse route? Weight? Odd. I missed flying over the ocean and turning back in from there.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
If winds are calm or non-existing then it doesn't matter. As long as traffic in the air isn't an issue.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
According to weather records just before 7 AM, the wind was light and almost exactly perpendicular to the runway. Like what flyerCO said, it didn't matter which runway they used from that standpoint.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:53 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
In theory it doesn't matter, but in practice I've never seen this. Airports tend to keep all traffic moving in the same direction, even across multiple parallel runways.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
SNA has some of the strictest sound abatement rules in the country - totally not surprised the FAA spreads out departure flights as widely as weather conditions permit.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: occasional DL/AA flyer, avgeek
not too uncommon. NWA did this often on the MSP run (320) if winds permitted it. TWA also did it with the MD-80 to STL.
I think it has something to do with the noise abatement climb gradient and high weight takeoffs.
This procedure is also used by all aircraft during Santa Ana wind (offshore) conditions.
I have done it flying DL from SLC (EMB-120) and to ATL (757) due to winds.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
I grew up under the flight path of SNA in the Back Bay. The first flight of the day that I remember was an Air California Electra - going over the bay, it was loud enough that it was my 7am wake up call to get up and get ready for school.
If the 7am "over the bay out to the ocean" restriction is still in place, I could see an earlier flight going the opposite direction, weather permitting.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
What's REALLY fun is to be coming in for a landing, and get very close to touch down, and then quickly pull up and circle around for a landing from the opposite direction. EEK!

Had this once at IAH!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, United, Hilton Diamond, Marriott
Originally Posted by Watchful
What's REALLY fun is to be coming in for a landing, and get very close to touch down, and then quickly pull up and circle around for a landing from the opposite direction. EEK!

Had this once at IAH!
And they don't even charge you extra for that! Would have loved to have had a window seat to see that!

Did you request the extra DL miles?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
It also could be that they just had (or were fidden' to) turn the airport around. (i.e. switch the direction of the runways). This is very common when wind directions change.

Additionally, the other planes could have been waiting to turn it around because their TO performance wasn't as good as the DL flight. It's not unusual to hear pilots turn down a RWY because of a small tailwind due to TO performance.

They also could have been sitting for MIT (Miles in Trail) delays. Not familiar with SNA, but they may not have a hold pad at the end of the RWY you used.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
At an airport there is one direction considered "active." Pilots can request opposite direction takeoff, and this is granted if feasible, but it slows things down as you can imagine. Why they would ask, I don't know...save some gas maybe?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Perhaps DL wanted to get out fast because Harrison Ford was inbound?
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL DM
I've experienced this my last few flights out of SNA, mostly on DL.

As mentioned as long as the winds are fairly calm either direction can be used and taking off towards the north would be more preferable for noise issues.

During the "conga line" hour it is most likely most efficient getting the planes off the ground quickly being the first commercial aircraft landing probably isn't for at least until around 7:30am on weekdays.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 206driver
and they don't even charge you extra for that! Would have loved to have had a window seat to see that!

Did you request the extra dl miles?
should have!
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
I had this same thing happen at PSP last month. 5-7 planes lined up for take off and we taxi to the opposite end of the runway. Planes both immediately before AND after all used the other runway. Plus the wind was down the runway the OTHER way, so we took off downwind. Strange.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.