Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why did our plane take off the 'wrong way?'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why did our plane take off the 'wrong way?'

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Watchful
What's REALLY fun is to be coming in for a landing, and get very close to touch down, and then quickly pull up and circle around for a landing from the opposite direction. EEK!

Had this once at IAH!
I have done it at ORD.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Another reason I can think of for a pilot to do this is if they have a hard "wheels up" time, say due to traffic restrictions at the destination, and the line of aircraft is stalled for some reason.

But at most large airports there are alternate ways to get to the front of the line, so ??
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I suspect it can also reflect the need to hit a narrow ARRIVAL window: 10 miles in takeoff direction, a 180-degree turn, and another 10 miles back, at an average speed of say 200 knots, is 6 extra minutes
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Perhaps DL wanted to get out fast because Harrison Ford was inbound?
LMAO! Thank you for making my day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.