Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future of Seattle

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Remember the China will not be part of the JV. And DL has multiple partners in China.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:48 am

Can someone explain to me to whole brouhaha i thought Korean was already with the skyteam and i remember hearing stories that Korean and delta were not on good terms and that i heard that Korean might leave skyteam
Old Apr 18, 2017, 5:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingWithers
I am thinking geopolitically that NRT is best, given the current read on the nut cases up north. The bad news is that N. Korea, even under The Donald, is probably not going to be solved there may not be much left of ICN.

Dangerous stuff in the Koreas. I'd rethink that for years to come.
Considering NK has also test launched missles in Japan's direction, and knowing what a ****storm it would be for the region if that whole powder keg erupts, I think any notion of a "best" airport in the region is arbitrary and naive.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by British Airways Concorde
Can someone explain to me to whole brouhaha i thought Korean was already with the skyteam and i remember hearing stories that Korean and delta were not on good terms and that i heard that Korean might leave skyteam
http://crankyflier.com/2013/09/05/de...e-their-fight/

TLDR is DL (Anderson) acted like a jilted lover when KE didn't go for the JV. I've said previously that Anderson's departure and the financial troubles with KE's parent opened the door to revisit the relationship. I'm glad to see it worked out.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by east_west
KE has (at most) once-daily to XIY, CSX, DLC, CAN, HFE, TXN, TNA, SZX, WEH, WUH, XMN, YNJ, all of which depart ICN in the early AM and will miss the standard banks of TPAC flights to ICN from SEA,DTW,ATL arriving late afternoon. TAO, SHE, TSN are twice daily, but both flights also miss any reasonable TPAC arrival bank. KWE, KMG, NNG are tourist destinations with departures in the evening.

If this is going to work, KE is going to have to make a decision between serving its local business traffic, which presumably wants AM flights to these cities, and its JV traffic. Or find a way to increase capacity.

UA already serves some of these through the JV with NH, but some flights have the same issue (AM departure or HND departure rather than NRT). My point being that UA is choosing the prime secondary cities (HGH and CTU are the number 5 and number 7 Chinese metro areas by population and major business hubs) for non-stops from SFO, and it's not clear how well a DL/KE JV will actually compete.
So only JFK-ICN can make the Chinese connections via ICN. The rest can connect onto MU at PVG. Still works.

DL can't compete when UA offers a nonstop from SFO, but from the countless cities where that is not the case, DL has an even playing field with KE and MU.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by DA201
So only JFK-ICN can make the Chinese connections via ICN. The rest can connect onto MU at PVG. Still works.

DL can't compete when UA offers a nonstop from SFO, but from the countless cities where that is not the case, DL has an even playing field with KE and MU.
The DL/KE JV does NOT include China. Not sure if that was carved out because DL is hoping for an eventual Open Skies US/China agreement followed by a JV with MU, or if they would not be able to have one due to some type of US or Chinese or Korean government regulation.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by motytrah
http://crankyflier.com/2013/09/05/de...e-their-fight/

TLDR is DL (Anderson) acted like a jilted lover when KE didn't go for the JV. I've said previously that Anderson's departure and the financial troubles with KE's parent opened the door to revisit the relationship. I'm glad to see it worked out.
Lol Richard was a stupid gavone to where Qr and Mr Al-baker wanted to take him to the woodshed
Old Apr 19, 2017, 1:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by British Airways Concorde
Lol Richard was a stupid gavone to where Qr and Mr Al-baker wanted to take him to the woodshed
Just so you are aware, the narrative you were given is unbridled horse****.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 6:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Would you care to dive a little deeper in that assessment?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:29 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Originally Posted by moondog
Would you care to dive a little deeper in that assessment?
Explain yourself pbarnette? i've watched Mr. Al Baker's interviews teeing off on delta and the former ceo richard seems to be his favorite punching bag
Old May 20, 2017, 3:58 pm
Suspended

With a possible laptop ban ex-USA in place, I can imagine a lot of travelers will be driving to YVR and fly hassle-free from there. Will that be the end of DL at SEA?
Old May 20, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Certainly not. DL has plenty of domestic traffic to SEA and if you're coming from outside the US and flying into YVR, you have to clear immigration twice--once in Canada and then again in the US. Some travelers won't have the visas to do it, and even those who can probably won't want to. There may be some travelers to go to YVR and find their way to the Seattle area, but I doubt it will be very many, even if the laptop ban happens.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Certainly not. DL has plenty of domestic traffic to SEA and if you're coming from outside the US and flying into YVR, you have to clear immigration twice--once in Canada and then again in the US. Some travelers won't have the visas to do it, and even those who can probably won't want to. There may be some travelers to go to YVR and find their way to the Seattle area, but I doubt it will be very many, even if the laptop ban happens.
Drive to/from YVR, not fly.
Old May 20, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Doesn't matter. You would still have to clear an extra set of customs/immigration to/from Canada, and I'm guessing most travelers don't want to come off a 10 hour international flight and have to drive 3 hours afterward. I know I certainly would rather check a laptop than have to deal with that. I'm not saying nobody would do it, but I am saying not nearly enough people would do it that it would be the end of DL in SEA.
Old May 20, 2017, 5:01 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Doesn't matter. You would still have to clear an extra set of customs/immigration to/from Canada, and I'm guessing most travelers don't want to come off a 10 hour international flight and have to drive 3 hours afterward. I know I certainly would rather check a laptop than have to deal with that. I'm not saying nobody would do it, but I am saying not nearly enough people would do it that it would be the end of DL in SEA.
You won't be able to bring a laptop period. Or expensive camera gear. Anything that can hold a bomb is banned from planes, period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.