Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Future of Seattle

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2017, 3:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, HHonors Diamond, BonVoy Gold, AAdvantage, IHG Priority Club, BA EC, AS MVP
Given the high cost of Canadian airfares the SEA market for Canadians will continue to grow and would be massive if it wasn't for TSA screwing up everyone's luggage.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:18 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.
Originally Posted by Azamaraal
Given the high cost of Canadian airfares the SEA market for Canadians will continue to grow and would be massive if it wasn't for TSA screwing up everyone's luggage.
Has pricing increased recently?, based in Seattle, but home is Dublin, brought the family home last October via LHR, significantly cheaper to fly BA out of YVR to the extent that we actually stayed in a hotel at the Airport before and after our trip, with 3 weeks parking, and a much more pleasant experience flying out of YVR compared to SEA.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I'm sure the braintrust on Virginia Avenue has their ideas but most of the publicly available data suggests things aren't so rosy for DL in SEA. Sure they've gained share but the yields are mostly trash and most of the local base has an affinity for AS and their partners for international travel. Plus DL is going for the low fare fodder out of East Coast and other points in the west coast.

After all, if SEA would have been of ANY value as a major international gateway wouldn't NWA have recognized it and executed better than anyone else (includin DL)?!?!?! NW tried several experiments beyond their hubs and they all quickly went away.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:33 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, BA Executive Blue, IHG Platinum Elite,Kimpton.
Do a bit of travel from SEA-NYC, have to say personally speaking Delta wins hands down in terms of aircraft(I don't want to travel 737 coast to coast), service, cost and lounge access ( $29 for Amex gold)
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
After all, if SEA would have been of ANY value as a major international gateway wouldn't NWA have recognized it and executed better than anyone else (includin DL)?!?!?! NW tried several experiments beyond their hubs and they all quickly went away.
Demand ex-SEA is very different now relative to 10-15 years ago.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: DL DM
Sure they've gained share but the yields are mostly trash and most of the local base has an affinity for AS and their partners for international travel.
As part of the "local base," I would strongly disagree with that. Pretty much anyone I know who has traveled internationally out of Seattle lately has been on Delta.

While upgrades across the system have gotten harder, out of Seattle I have noticed the biggest difference. There are more loyal Delta travelers out of Seattle than ever before, and that will continue to increase. And per the OP comment of possibly cutting the SEA to PVG or PEK routes--not a chance. With Amazon et al growing as fast as they are, those routes are not going away. People are not going to connect through ICN to get to these places.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 5:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Biscoff27
With Amazon et al growing as fast as they are, those routes are not going away. People are not going to connect through ICN to get to these places.
Amazon has been flailing in China.
sdadept likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: AS MVP, UA, AA
Alaska Air Owns Seattle

The DL/AS partnership ends this month. All of us loyal AS customers will choose airlines other than DL whenever feasible to travel internationally, including flying out of YVR. I expect AS will look for additional Asian airline partners flying out of SEA. Point of information: currently airfares to Asia are about equal leaving from YVR or SEA and significantly cheaper flying to Europe out of YVR.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I don't think DL would keep adding routes and adding gates (B7A is now a gate) if SEA wasn't meeting their expectations. It must be doing well enough to keep DL management happy.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/3MM, Lifetime DL SkyClub, BA Gold, Amex Centurion, AVIS Chairman's, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by anon2k2
That new Sky Club is going to be really quiet (or quieter than it already is)..
I'm in that new SkyClub on a weekly basis and most of the time it is totally mobbed. In fact a few times lately I have headed to the Amex Centurion lounge which has been expanded now for a quieter experience.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jacksafar
I'm in that new SkyClub on a weekly basis and most of the time it is totally mobbed. In fact a few times lately I have headed to the Amex Centurion lounge which has been expanded now for a quieter experience.
Connecting in SEA twice in January. I wouldn't say it was mobbed but it was certainly busy.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Azamaraal
Are we talking about the same Canada - the one where traffic is so soft and capacity is so overbuilt because of currency issues that I've ended up driving to YVR for more than half of my flights over the last two years chasing dirt cheap airfares?

Your statement was true years ago, but the situation has completely flipped since 2015 or so.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 6:36 am

I'm sure the braintrust on Virginia Avenue has their ideas but most of the publicly available data suggests things aren't so rosy for DL in SEA. Sure they've gained share but the yields are mostly trash and most of the local base has an affinity for AS and their partners for international travel. Plus DL is going for the low fare fodder out of East Coast and other points in the west coast.

Can you reference some of this data from SEA? Yields out of SEA have been very strong. The only reason more expansion is not going on is gates. Delta would take 10 more gates in SEA tomorrow if they could get them.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: Skyteam
Originally Posted by motytrah
Based on what? Cho Hyun-Ah's Nut Rage?
LOL
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:48 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by bolete
The DL/AS partnership ends this month. All of us loyal AS customers will choose airlines other than DL whenever feasible to travel internationally, including flying out of YVR. I expect AS will look for additional Asian airline partners flying out of SEA. Point of information: currently airfares to Asia are about equal leaving from YVR or SEA and significantly cheaper flying to Europe out of YVR.
The few people who avoid DL due to AS loyalty will be far outnumbered by the people who buy the cheapest / most convenient flight (whichever airline that winds up being on)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.