Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Raises Maximum VDB Compensation to $9,950 in Vouchers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Raises Maximum VDB Compensation to $9,950 in Vouchers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Imagine the chaos as the hoards swarm the GA after it is announced that volunteers are needed at $10,000 per head.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:52 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Couple years ago I was on DTW-PVG in Y+ where at the gate they were looking for two volunteers to give up their J seats. Offered about $1000 to take KE in J and arrive a few hours later. No takers.
I boarded and assumed IDB would take place.
This would mean giving up a J seat on soon to be extinct DL 747, I wouldn't give that up too easily
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by RRDD
Imagine the chaos as the hoards swarm the GA after it is announced that volunteers are needed at $10,000 per head.
RIP fans: The Who, Cincinnati, 1980.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...ncert-19800124
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Exactly- the frontline employees are empowered showing they are trusted which to the vast majority of people is highly motivating
I agree that this is a great idea, although I wonder whether employees will be instructed to avoid using extremely high VDBs and going to IDBs long before hitting the $2000/$9950 limits. I suspect that $9950 is a nice round number proxy for $9999 which might be limited by the number of digits that can be input for this function to avoid expensive fat finger errors.

Realistically, many people can't use such high voucher amounts in a single year. Even $2000 of "free" travel on DL during the next twelve months would be excessive for many people, although of course someone could take the opportunity to make their special trip of a lifetime.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree that this is a great idea, although I wonder whether employees will be instructed to avoid using extremely high VDBs and going to IDBs long before hitting the $2000/$9950 limits. I suspect that $9950 is a nice round number proxy for $9999 which might be limited by the number of digits that can be input for this function to avoid expensive fat finger errors.

Realistically, many people can't use such high voucher amounts in a single year. Even $2000 of "free" travel on DL during the next twelve months would be excessive for many people, although of course someone could take the opportunity to make their special trip of a lifetime.
You could squeeze 3 Z class Delta One Fares out of that
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:59 am
C W
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

According to Widgets, employees have been instructed to fully use the policy to essentially eliminate IDB.

Originally Posted by Widgets
Originally Posted by javabytes
I can only believe this is a PR move that won't make much of a difference in reality, given agents are certainly going to start low, and can still IDB. Unless this limit increase was paired with an order to go as high as necessary to avoid an IDB essentially at all costs, it's not all that interesting.
That's basically what happened.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I think the $2000 limit will have way more impact, the $9950 is the PR stunt.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by C W
I've had PDX-SEA assigned as low as $6 and ATL-LAS at $41 in V.
MQD has nothing going to do with the value of the ticket. One I believe they go by fare class, but if value is involved the ticket value is the whole fare. MQD breaks it down into an amount based on what % of total distance flown each flight is. If you pay a $100 fare and leg one is 100 miles and leg two is 100 miles each segment is credited $50 MQD. Doesn't mean each coupon only had $50 value or that they account the same amount as MQD for accounting purposes.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Keith2004
You could squeeze 3 Z class Delta One Fares out of that
Not from MSP unless you find an unusually good sale. RT Z to EU typically starts around $4000, for example to LHR, CDG, AMS, etc. TPAC is even more, typically $5500 and up RT.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:15 am
C W
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
MQD has nothing going to do with the value of the ticket. One I believe they go by fare class, but if value is involved the ticket value is the whole fare. MQD breaks it down into an amount based on what % of total distance flown each flight is. If you pay a $100 fare and leg one is 100 miles and leg two is 100 miles each segment is credited $50 MQD. Doesn't mean each coupon only had $50 value or that they account the same amount as MQD for accounting purposes.
I didn't get this from MQD. I can't even see MQD as a non-US based Medallion. I have no MQD counter and no itemized MQD on my activity.

I got those numbers from the Base Miles divided by 5. Don't know if that's computed the same way as MQD or not.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:33 am

Is there a limit to the value of a single voucher? If so, can vouchers be combined when booking a flight? Are there other major issues in actually using vouchers?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, United Plat
Originally Posted by WidgetKid
I saw this and was quite happily surprised. I agree that it empowers front-line employees and also gives agents a little bit more negotiating room without having to call in a redcoat.

That being said, I do think the $9,950 cap for redcoats extraordinarily high. Somebody who bought a $150 ticket being able to get possibly up to $9,950 in vouchers or whatnot just seems a bit crazy to me (admittedly, I don't know where I would draw the line of crazy or not, but I certainly think $9,950 is well past it).
I mostly travel on business so I almost never take up VDB offers. Last year, I was travelling on a weekend and the VDB offers started at $150. When it got to $400 I told myself I will go for $600. Sure enough they got enough takers for $400 so I didnt get to VDB after all and missed out on the $400.

I don't think the cap is too high but I am sure now airlines will teach their employees the fine art of reverse auctioneering.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 9:51 am

I'm in paid C+ JFK-LHR in August. I wonder what my chances are to get IDB voucher?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:10 am
C W
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CosmosHuman
I'm in paid C+ JFK-LHR in August. I wonder what my chances are to get IDB voucher?
With the new policy your chance of getting IDB is essentially zero.

Your chance of getting VDB is best discussed here:

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding ...
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:21 am

I bet this change is going to practically end most secondary compensation like hotels, meals, and car rentals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.