Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Raises Maximum VDB Compensation to $9,950 in Vouchers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Raises Maximum VDB Compensation to $9,950 in Vouchers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, United, Hilton Diamond, Marriott
Originally Posted by kevindavis338
Smart move by Delta..
Exactly, great PR, as others have noted the small chance they ever have to pay that amount, and the United incident gets mentioned for a few more days and extends the news cycle on their competitor.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by 206driver
Exactly, great PR, as others have noted the small chance they ever have to pay that amount, and the United incident gets mentioned for a few more days and extends the news cycle on their competitor.
It makes me want to fly Delta. I'm pretty sure United would be doing the same thing. A person would have to be a moron to turn it down.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kevindavis338
Smart move by Delta..
I agree.....and it's getting lots and lots of good publicity, even if the media are generally about VDB and IDB rules, especially the fact that it is not true that DL$ = US$.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:14 pm

This seems to be another one of those things where DL manages to stay ahead of the competition. I just wonder whether either of the other big two will follow suit.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles
Cool Fake Big Bucks News

Originally Posted by C W
OMAAT: Wow: Delta Significantly Raises Voluntary Denied Boarding Compensation Limits

Sounds like a great and very customer centric move to me, even though the motivation is surely PR related. This is exactly the kind of policy that empowers front-line employees and that would have prevented UA's nightmare. Thoughts?
Delta gives out that high figure but I doubt they will actually dish it out.
Paying that much money on a regular basis is not a sustainable 'Biz Model'.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:12 pm
C W
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by NorthwestFlyer
Delta gives out that high figure but I doubt they will actually dish it out.
Paying that much money on a regular basis is not a sustainable 'Biz Model'.
If you read the thread, Widgets has indicated that the policy is intended to be used to fully eliminate IDB, regardless of how much compensation must be offered.

Originally Posted by Widgets
Originally Posted by javabytes
I can only believe this is a PR move that won't make much of a difference in reality, given agents are certainly going to start low, and can still IDB. Unless this limit increase was paired with an order to go as high as necessary to avoid an IDB essentially at all costs, it's not all that interesting.
That's basically what happened.
Also, with regards to the cost of compensation, this Telegraph article points out that if Delta paid $9,950 to every passenger it IDBs in a year it would only cost them only $12 million. The real number will be much lower as they won't need to even get close to $9,950 to eliminate IDB on most flights and since Delta Dollars cost Delta a fraction of their face value.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: Delta Sky Miles, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by minnyfly
This change is barely real or positive. It's mostly a PR stunt. DL is already at a near zero IDB rate (and remember that not all IDBs are due compensation). This change doesn't materially affect anyone. No one will come anywhere close to the maximum. Few, if any, will ever get more than the old maximums. It might not move their low IDB rate at all. It's a non-story. If DL wanted to make a real change and not just a PR stunt, they would announce generous compensation for all of the hundreds of thousands affected by their meltdown. That would be real and positive.
I really don't believe delta's IDB rate. I've been IDB'd three times in 7 months and never got any compensation, and I'm sure my name isn't on the list. The pull your boarding pass before you can pass through security. Once it was blamed on a broken ticket (whatever that is, delta couldn't define the term), Once on weight and balance, and another time they said my reservation was canceled minutes before I passed through center point security. In all cases they were oversold and unable to "reaccomidate" me (Delta speak for delivering the flight purchased.)

Delta policy is if you don't present yourself at the gate 15 minutes prior to departure you aren't entitled to compensation. Awfully nice for TSA to check all boarding passes against the Virginia Ave computers so Delta IDB you at the last minute even with a paper boarding pass.

It's happened twice more (in the past 6 months) but I can't verify the flight was full, and in one case, delta got me on the flight anyway (granted it was the third IDB in 24 hrs and I pitched a screaming fit.)
Old Apr 15, 2017, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by country_boy
I really don't believe delta's IDB rate. I've been IDB'd three times in 7 months and never got any compensation, and I'm sure my name isn't on the list. The pull your boarding pass before you can pass through security. Once it was blamed on a broken ticket (whatever that is, delta couldn't define the term), Once on weight and balance, and another time they said my reservation was canceled minutes before I passed through center point security. In all cases they were oversold and unable to "reaccomidate" me (Delta speak for delivering the flight purchased.)

Delta policy is if you don't present yourself at the gate 15 minutes prior to departure you aren't entitled to compensation. Awfully nice for TSA to check all boarding passes against the Virginia Ave computers so Delta IDB you at the last minute even with a paper boarding pass.

It's happened twice more (in the past 6 months) but I can't verify the flight was full, and in one case, delta got me on the flight anyway (granted it was the third IDB in 24 hrs and I pitched a screaming fit.)
I don't understand what you're saying. How did Delta take your boarding pass from you before going to the security checkpoint? Was this at a foreign airport? And the TSA doesn't compare anything to Delta's ticketing computers. Delta could have a worldwide technology outage and TSA could still screen you, so if TSA delayed you at the checkpoint, that's fully on them alone. IDB compensation isn't due for denied boarding due to weight/balance restrictions on some Delta Connection aircraft.

If you've come close to being involuntarily denied boarding 5 times this year... I just can't believe that's true. Having a screaming fit wouldn't help me believe it. Are you mistaking involuntary denied boarding for arriving late?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Keith2004
You could squeeze 3 Z class Delta One Fares out of that
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Not from MSP unless you find an unusually good sale. RT Z to EU typically starts around $4000, for example to LHR, CDG, AMS, etc. TPAC is even more, typically $5500 and up RT.
I can easily squeeze 5 CDG-JFK-SDQ Z class tickets The usual fare is around $1950 when purchased 50 days out. Of course, the 400 Euros change fee sucks.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:12 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Sorry, but this city_boy doesn't believe:

THIS
I've been IDB'd three times in 7 months and never got any compensation
THIS

I've been IDB'd three times in 7 months and never got any compensation
THIS

It's happened twice more (in the past 6 months)
or THIS

(granted it was the third IDB in 24 hrs and I pitched a screaming fit.)
And . . . Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:15 pm
C W
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davetravels
Sorry, but this city_boy doesn't believe:

THIS

THIS

THIS

or THIS

And . . . Welcome to FlyerTalk!

davetravels, you are the only FlyerTalker who can regularly make me laugh uncontrollably at my computer ^^^

Seriously though, I don't believe a bit of this. Doesn't make any sense, especially not being able to get through security. Late check ins, government watchlist, or made up.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

This shouldn't be possible if you printed the boarding passes (on paper) during OLCI. If it's just an electronic one on your phone, yes it can disappear if DL changes your itinerary. [I've been VIPRed while on route to the airport and ever since I've tried very hard to always get a hard copy of my boarding pass so that I can avoid the long check in lines during IROPs and go directly to the lounge or gate if I don't need to check a bag.] However, I've been told that there are ways to save your electronic boarding pass in your phone so that you can pull it up again regardless of what DL IT does.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 6:40 pm
C W
Original Poster

This shouldn't be possible if you printed the boarding passes (on paper) during OLCI. If it's just an electronic one on your phone, yes it can disappear if DL changes your itinerary. [I've been VIPRed while on route to the airport and ever since I've tried very hard to always get a hard copy of my boarding pass so that I can avoid the long check in lines during IROPs and go directly to the lounge or gate if I don't need to check a bag.] However, I've been told that there are ways to save your electronic boarding pass in your phone so that you can pull it up again regardless of what DL IT does.
You can take a screenshot certainly. I'm not sure if saving it to Wallet on an iPhone prevent Delta from changing it or not.

I always just call the Medallion desk immediately if I have any VIPR or rebooking issues. They usually take care of it faster than anybody at the airport unless I'm already at a Sky Club.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
iOS/Apple just save it to wallet. That is what I do. It doesn't seem to update like the in app one does.

Or just screenshot. Delete it once the flight posts.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:05 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
If you hava BP <phone screenshot, paper, airport issued slip, or whatever>, and something happens to your reservation before you get to the TSA checkpoint and you're UN-checked in, will the TSA system catch that and deny you passing thru security?

Originally Posted by C W
davetravels, you are the only FlyerTalker who can regularly make me laugh uncontrollably at my computer ^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.