Search

More 737-900's For Delta

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
More 737-900's For Delta

In the most recent earnings call it was reported that Delta has ordered an additional 10 737-900's. This will bring the total number to around 140 I believe. They must be extremely efficient or perhaps the relationship with Boeing is back on better terms now that Anderson is gone.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Aviation biz and analysis site Leeham News says in the teaser for a paywalled article that "Boeing hopes Delta will be a launch customer for the MAX 10."

Good golly, I hope not. I can't even stand the 739!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:35 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
What a revolting airplane. Sad day.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
My condolences to those of you who still fly DL.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
In the most recent earnings call it was reported that Delta has ordered an additional 10 737-900's. This will bring the total number to around 140 I believe. They must be extremely efficient or perhaps the relationship with Boeing is back on better terms now that Anderson is gone.
Don't think the Boeing issue had anything to do with Anderson per se as much as 1)Boeing wanting to charge huge prices for widebodies when there's plenty of used on marlet/coming on market and 2)wanting those huge prices even though they couldn't deliver for a few years.

I can afford a new car, but usually buy used. Why? As a business person I don't think it's worth spending thousands of dollars that will be wiped off the value the second you drive away on the vehicle. I can buy a new truck for $50k and have $10-15k wiped off the value the second I leave the car lot. Alternatively, I can buy a used vehicle in some cases less then 6months to a year old, and only pay $35-40k.

the current CEO was the CFO thus I doubt there's going to be much change in that respect.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:05 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Don't think the Boeing issue had anything to do with Anderson per se as much as 1)Boeing wanting to charge huge prices for widebodies when there's plenty of used on marlet/coming on market and 2)wanting those huge prices even though they couldn't deliver for a few years.

I can afford a new car, but usually buy used. Why? As a business person I don't think it's worth spending thousands of dollars that will be wiped off the value the second you drive away on the vehicle. I can buy a new truck for $50k and have $10-15k wiped off the value the second I leave the car lot. Alternatively, I can buy a used vehicle in some cases less then 6months to a year old, and only pay $35-40k.

the current CEO was the CFO thus I doubt there's going to be much change in that respect.
Anderson was a hot head and didn't tell the truth. He went around saying he could buy a used 777 for $7 million. He left out the part that it was completely un-airworthy and was only used for parts. He called the 777X a "paper airplane" even though there was nothing major in the improvements and the A330neo hadn't even been launched and the A350 was still in the design process. He is lucky Boeing didn't slap him with with a slander lawsuit. They would have certainly been within their rights. He also soured the relationship with Korean Air and went on daily rants about the ME3. We have thankfully seen the relationship heal between Delta and Korean Air under the new leadership team and Bastion isn't going around yelling crazy things on a daily basis. Delta is far better off now that Anderson is gone.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:13 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
This thing must make the accountants very happy. From a passenger perspective IMHO the plane offers a truly miserable experience.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Anderson was a hot head and didn't tell the truth. He went around saying he could buy a used 777 for $7 million. He left out the part that it was completely un-airworthy and was only used for parts. He called the 777X a "paper airplane" even though there was nothing major in the improvements and the A330neo hadn't even been launched and the A350 was still in the design process. He is lucky Boeing didn't slap him with with a slander lawsuit. They would have certainly been within their rights. He also soured the relationship with Korean Air and went on daily rants about the ME3. We have thankfully seen the relationship heal between Delta and Korean Air under the new leadership team and Bastion isn't going around yelling crazy things on a daily basis. Delta is far better off now that Anderson is gone.
Don't disagree on KE/ME3. Boeing though has gotten used to getting what it wants, when it wants and Anderson said enough.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLdweeb
This thing must make the accountants very happy. From a passenger perspective IMHO the plane offers a truly miserable experience.
I've been on Alaska's 737-900's a few times and didn't find anything particularly unpleasant about it. I'll have my first flight on one of Delta's in a couple of weeks so I guess I'll see if it lives up to the hate. It already loses points for replacing the 757 which once operated all of the MCO-ATL flights.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by C W
What a revolting airplane. Sad day.
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Even in 1st class row 1 is to be avoided and row 5 CD. Ridiculously bad.

Delta is far better off now that Anderson is gone.
Truth! But the damage he did will last for years to come.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Renes Points
Even in 1st class row 1 is to be avoided and row 5 CD.
Good to know. I'm in seat 4D so hopefully that one is fine.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
I know I'm in the minority but I enjoy the 739s and 321s. Sure there are a few less desirable seats, but I like having the new IFE and power in every seat.

I just flew the 739 SAT-ATL way in the back (like 30D maybe?) and I had sufficient legroom. No domestic plane in Y for more than 3 hours is comfortable, so I'll take good entertainment over the extra half an inch of legroom.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:31 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
I know I'm in the minority but I enjoy the 739s and 321s. Sure there are a few less desirable seats, but I like having the new IFE and power in every seat.

I just flew the 739 SAT-ATL way in the back (like 30D maybe?) and I had sufficient legroom. No domestic plane in Y for more than 3 hours is comfortable, so I'll take good entertainment over the extra half an inch of legroom.
The A321 has a 7" wider cabin which makes a world of difference.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:42 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Even in 1st class row 1 is to be avoided and row 5 CD. Ridiculously bad.
I am not a big fan of that plane (hate it, particularly the lav), but Row 1 is my go-to seat on that equipment. All of the other rows are terribly tight when someone reclines in front of you; that problem does not exist in Row 1.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by C W
The A321 has a 7" wider cabin which makes a world of difference.
7" overall is a huge different, but we're talking less than an inch of width per seat. Maybe it's just because I'm pretty thin, but unless I was next to a POS, a <1in variance isn't a deal breaker.

In terms of F, I do agree regarding 5CD, those seats certainly are not desirable, especially considering the stage length of some of the routes this plane operates.

But I can't help but laugh everytime I read about the lav problem. I've seen posts about people that refuse to fly the plane or will make extra connections in order to avoid it because of the lavatory size, which is unbelievable. I get in there and get my business done, no fooling around. I don't need or expect a 75 sq ft lavatory on a domestic plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.