Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More 737-900's For Delta

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
as a 21-year Boeing alum who put in three years as a flight test engineer (mostly 767) and one in Customer Engineering (777, right after program launch), I can think of two things that were relevant at that time: internal capital to underwrite the key technical constituencies (aero, propulsion, structures, loads, systems, avionics, interiors, manufacturing, subcontracts, certification, flight test, and a few others I e probably forgotten) to collaborate on developing and refining a design, and customer interest (which also requires pre-launch investment in the Sales/Marketing workforce, as well as Customer Engineering once discussions with an airline go beyond the preliminary stages)

it is in no way a trivial process
Fascinating to know! I figured it was obviously more complicated that I half jokingly suggested, but it still seems like with airlines clamoring after every 757 they can get their hands on, that bringing back a slightly upgraded 757 could be profitable. And with a lot less capital investment than a white sheet plane.

The world changed a ton between when they shut down the 757 line and today. Neither the A321 or MAX 10 truly duplicate what the 757's do but it seems that A321's do a slightly closer impression. I don't want to see Boeing lose the battle for the MOM plane especially when they have the 757 that they could theoretically bring back.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:09 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
It's amusing how someone can consistently disparage pilots as grossly overpaid bus drivers in every other thread, except when there's an Airbus vs. Boeing argument to be had
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767

Boeing made economic decisions on fuselage commonality circa 1960 (727), 1965 (737), and 1978 (757); I'd suggest that their relatively robust financials have long spoken to the wisdom of those choices

moreover, I'd suggest that it's completely disingenuous to imply that Boeing could or should have anticipated the massive changes in market conditions and the worldwide airline industry in the ensuing years -- much less the evolution of the average passenger physique, and still less the existence of FT where this sort of discussion can happen
Of course it was an economic decision to have the same fuselage. But, that doesn't change the fact that the 727, 737, and 757 have the same fuselage as the 707.

I also don't blame Boeing for the airlines installing to many narrow seats in a 777 or 787. Those planes were never designed for 10 and 9 across respectively.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:34 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
Except for 747, the other two share the 707 fuselage so yes, a 50s design.
That as it may be, Boeing put a 50s design in a late 60s plane and an 80s plane and stuck with it to this day. They chose to not optimize their fuselages while Airbus did.

Wait..

Who said anything about the 787 not being designed for efficiency? I said it was designed and finalized before any airline had dreamed about squeezing extra seats in. It was also designed as a 767 replacement which only seats 7 to begin with.

Knowing what it could do and intending it are two different things. If that was the case, Boeing should have offered it from the get-go and make their CASM look even more fantastic. Think of the 15 wasted years from the introduction of the 777 having 19.5" seats.
Whether or not the airlines were thinking about it at the time is completely beside the point that Boeing knew it could easily accommodate Boeing-standard 17" seats in addition to 18.5" seats with massive double armrests. Their commitment is to allowing airlines to cram as many people into their aircraft as possible, not maintaining a reasonable seat width through design.

Either way, everyone has choices as a consumer. If you can't fit properly in a 17" seat, then you buy first or choose another airline that best accommodates you.
I do generally agree with you on this, I'm a big fan of the free market and taking my business where the product suits my desires. This is why I won't fly long-haul on 9-across 787s or 10-across 777s. I did catch your crack about my size though, and if you're curious, I have a 28" waist and still find Boeing's 17" seats to be miserable.

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I personally think that this is not the factor that so many think it is. Sure, some have gotten larger, but plenty of people have not. I am not tall nor overweight and I find main cabin seats to be very tight and uncomfortable.
Agreed ^
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:42 am
C W

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
You can't sit there and tell me with a straight face that Airbus cares as much about safety as Boeing does. If the AF A330 had auto-thrust linked thrust levers it is likely the accident would have been averted. The plane was flying at a low thrust setting even though the thrust levers appeared to be at their max setting. Had the side sticks been linked it could also have saved the aircraft. The other pilot had no idea that pilot flying was pulling back on his side stick. In a Boeing the other pilots would have known within a couple of seconds that the plane was in a lower power situation and the aircraft was at a very high pitch angle. I'm sure the Boeing system costs more but I'd rather the pilots have as much visual and tactile information as possible.
Boeing and Airbus have different approaches to cockpit engineering and it's a very interesting debate as to the pros and cons of each with respect to human factors.

However, I can absolutely tell you that I think that everybody at both Boeing and Airbus from top management through engineering through production workers care extremely deeply about safety. To suggest that Airbus actually doesn't care as much as Boeing is absurd, shockingly cynical, and reflects sadly on your view of humanity.

AF 447 hit the ground with the trust levers in the TOGO detent and over 100% N1 from both engines. There were both design and human factors involved with that tragedy, but it has nothing to do with your utterly false claim that:

The plane was flying at a low thrust setting even though the thrust levers appeared to be at their max setting.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
From my understanding the autopilot controls for the Boeing will be made more user friendly in hopes to prevent the mistake from happening in the future.

The Airbus pilots were unaware that the computers had degraded to direct law. This is why the FO was pulling back on the side stick. Under normal law the computer would limit the pitch and increase power to keep the plane from stalling. In direct law the pilot must make sure he/she has enough power and adjust the angle of attack to prevent a stall. Boeing pilots must practice this on a daily basis during take off and landing (assuming not performing an autoland). Airbus pilots are used to having protections and can therefore be a little more clumsy with their flying skills and not have to worry about it. This is why the Airbus is so popular with many startups in emerging economies such as India. They can take inexperienced pilots and quickly train them. The Boeing is not as forgiving and will require a more experienced pilot. There are soft limits on FBW Boeings such as the 777 or 787, but the pilot can override them.
As with any system, there are going to be pros and cons. The same Airbus system you're demonzong for not giving pilots as much flexibility is the same system that enabled Sulley to land US 1549 so well in the Hudson. Again, the same issue can be said of Boeing - again, look at Asiana 214. Lack of training is lack of training whether it's an Airbus or a Boeing or a Bombardier Q400.

I don't feel any less safe on an Airbus or Boeing aircraft and that's from someone currently working (from the USAF side) with Boeing flight test (yea, I know saying that out loud in the building would get me shunned and beat up. )
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by C W

I do generally agree with you on this, I'm a big fan of the free market and taking my business where the product suits my desires. This is why I won't fly long-haul on 9-across 787s or 10-across 777s. I did catch your crack about my size though, and if you're curious, I have a 28" waist and still find Boeing's 17" seats to be miserable.

Actually when I said "you", I was referencing the general population as whole. Sorry if that may have been misconstrued.

I think the problem is most Americans tend to be broad shouldered where-as other nationalities aren't. I see no difference personally between a 17" or 18" seat, because I fit quite fine in a 17" seat and my shoulders don't overlap. My guess is a lot of other people probably feel the same way and wouldn't even care about the width of the seat.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by C W
That as it may be, Boeing put a 50s design in a late 60s plane and an 80s plane and stuck with it to this day. They chose to not optimize their fuselages while Airbus did.

The A320 fuselage and all derivatives were designed in the 1970s. What's your point?

Both manufacturers would rather not spend billions of dollars on a clean sheet design when they are both raking in the cash and the airlines aren't willing to wait. There are not enough people who can tell the difference between (or care to) any plane for the airlines to not buy what makes the economic sense.

Airbus and Boeing design planes to be slightly different than it's competitor (e.g. the 787 is longer and wider than the A330/767 that is was designed to replace. same with the A350 and the 777). The airbus marketing schtick that they design airplanes to be more comfortable isn't worth the marketing material it's printed on.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I think the problem is most Americans tend to be broad shouldered where-as other nationalities aren't.
Huh? We're literally the most diverse country in the history of the world.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 10:51 am
C W

Originally Posted by Newman55
The A320 fuselage and all derivatives were designed in the 1970s. What's your point?
It goes back to earlier in the thread where somebody claimed that comparing the seats of the A320 and 737 wasn't fair because the 737 was a 40s/50s design. While the 737 does have an ancient fuselage it was designed in the late 60s.

But all of it is completely beside the real point that a 737 has narrower seats than an A320, regardless of the historical background.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Actually when I said "you", I was referencing the general population as whole. Sorry if that may have been misconstrued.

I think the problem is most Americans tend to be broad shouldered where-as other nationalities aren't. I see no difference personally between a 17" or 18" seat, because I fit quite fine in a 17" seat and my shoulders don't overlap. My guess is a lot of other people probably feel the same way and wouldn't even care about the width of the seat.
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Huh? We're literally the most diverse country in the history of the world.
Don't know about other nationalities, but the average American male had a seated forearm-forearm breadth of 21.5", with 1st percentile males already being over 17". American females had a mean of 18.4", and exceeded 17" in the 15th percentile. (Data from 2006)

So all coach seats are too narrow at this point when there are middle seats, period. So are the upcoming W seats.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Am I missing something? I enjoy the 739. I am not a small person (5'11"/180#/33" waist) and I've sat in regular economy from MSP>SMF on a completely full flight and was totally comfortable. If you are next to a bigger person, any plane can be uncomfortable. i wish it had more FC seats but upgrades for a Plat are so scarce on most flights these days anyway. Of course I prefer the Airbus but the 739 is fine.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL PM
The A321 is a much nicer plane.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I also don't blame Boeing for the airlines installing to many narrow seats in a 777 or 787. Those planes were never designed for 10 and 9 across respectively.
At the oneworld Mega DO, we got to tour Boeing's product showroom, which included a mockup of the 787 (which was not yet in commercial service, IIRC). Boeing had it set up in an absurd 3-2-3 layout, claiming that when middle seats were empty it would provide more comfort. While perhaps technically true, when I asked the Boeing representative how often they expected the middles to be empty, their answer didn't seem to reflect reality.

Furthermore, at that time at least a few airlines had already been operating 777s in 10 across configurations. There's no way Boeing didn't expect the 787 to go 9 across, unless they were completely out of touch with their market, which I guess is plausible given the proposed 3-2-3 config.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:54 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by tennislover9
The A321 is a much nicer plane.
Delta's A321's have overhead bins that are a disaster, I sure hope someone lost their job over those things.

I can only assume the economics of the A321 are not as good as the 737-900's ... otherwise Delta wouldn't have bought them. Are you willing to pay more to fly the A321 than the 737-900? Of course those here on FT maybe would be willing to, but a lot of customers probably wouldn't know the difference between those planes and a DC-3 during the booking process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.