FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Early April Operation Disruption Compensation (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1835970-early-april-operation-disruption-compensation.html)

Youngmiler Apr 11, 2017 9:42 am

Early April Operation Disruption Compensation

I just received a phone call from Delta CS regarding the issues on April 5th. They are giving me 20,000 skymiles and they should arrive no later than May 1st. Very surprised how quickly they got back to me and with a personal call, not just an auto email.

pitpit Apr 11, 2017 9:51 am

Did you have any additional expenses getting to your destination? If so, any word on those? For me, I'd love to have them give something on top of the additional expenses, but at the very least, I'm hoping for that to be covered.

Youngmiler Apr 11, 2017 9:54 am

Originally Posted by pitpit (Post 28161826)
Did you have any additional expenses getting to your destination? If so, any word on those? For me, I'd love to have them give something on top of the additional expenses, but at the very least, I'm hoping for that to be covered.

I didn't have any additional expenses.

bretthexum Apr 11, 2017 9:54 am

Interesting... Will see if I get anything. 10 hours late. Missed a hockey game, but I can't ask to get that reimbursed.. :)

Youngmiler Apr 11, 2017 9:58 am

Originally Posted by bretthexum (Post 28161843)
Interesting... Will see if I get anything. 10 hours late. Missed a hockey game, but I can't ask to get that reimbursed.. :)

They said all medallions will be receiving 20,000 skymiles and that is why it is going to take so long to post. Perfect timing to correlate with the increase in award ticket pricing on partners.

rylan Apr 11, 2017 10:07 am

I'd expect that there will be some sort of official response at the earnings call tomorrow when they are inevitably asked about the meltdown.

StangGT909 Apr 11, 2017 10:24 am

It was 10,000 and $200 for the Melt down last year ?

This was worse and my entire trip was cancelled

I'd expect 20,000 and some form of voucher but we will see

Widgets Apr 11, 2017 10:25 am

Originally Posted by StangGT909 (Post 28162005)
It was 10,000 and $200 for the Melt down last year ?

This was worse and my entire trip was cancelled

I'd expect 20,000 and some form of voucher but we will see

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the standard for the August IROP was 20,000 miles for SkyMiles members or $200 vouchers for non-members. Anything above that was done on a case-by-case basis.

Often1 Apr 11, 2017 10:35 am

The SM are essentially free to DL unless DL or partners create inventory to handle the newly-minted miles. Otherwise it is just however many more million miles have just been "printed" competing for the same number of seats.

If you had intended to use miles for vacation this summer / fall, better get on top of it now.

Youngmiler Apr 11, 2017 11:02 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 28162066)
The SM are essentially free to DL unless DL or partners create inventory to handle the newly-minted miles. Otherwise it is just however many more million miles have just been "printed" competing for the same number of seats.

If you had intended to use miles for vacation this summer / fall, better get on top of it now.

Worst case you use pay with miles to get $.01/point and thanks to the recent enhancements you and a companion are eligible for upgrades. So basically a $200 Delta voucher is worst case for DL AMEX holders when they are given 20,000 skymiles.

davetravels Apr 11, 2017 11:04 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 28162066)

Yes, all those exotic vacation spots where you can go for 20K miles! ;)

That said - I wasn't stuck during the last "situation", but this time, my flight to LGA was delayed 7 minutes shy of 4 hours. I was notified by the app the night before. So, while a 4 hour delay isn't much compared to some of the horror stories out there, I was only in NYC for one full business day, and I basically lost half of that. . . . .

The above post that all Medallions will get 20K miles seems VERY generic. In the past, was there a variance based on amount of delay and inconvenience?

:)

kitkat77 Apr 11, 2017 11:14 am

Did you complain or was this unsolicited?

heckler Apr 11, 2017 11:22 am

Hotel reimbursment

I didn't end up taking my planned trip to LAS due to the mayhem - however the Venetian Hotel where I was to stay, charges you for the first night if you change or cancel your reservation. I wonder if I have any recourse with Delta..?

Youngmiler Apr 11, 2017 11:23 am

Originally Posted by kitkat77 (Post 28162310)

I sent a complaint.

rylan Apr 11, 2017 11:44 am

The previous case was entirely a DL resultant irop due to their own systems crashing so it was easier to give a blanket/standard compensation amount and go up from there.

In this case, it started out as weather, but the real rationale for compensation is the entire way the recovery (or lack thereof) was handled...
It will be interesting if DL makes an announcement at or after the earnings call tomorrow regarding comp for those impacted by the meltdown, or if they are handling on case by case... which could take a long time to sort through what I expect is a mountain of complaints.

StangGT909 Apr 11, 2017 11:46 am

My trip was completely cancelled too due to Delta not being able to get me there for days

I'll be interested to see if there's a difference for flights delayed up to a day vs those that had entire vacations cancelled

From past experiences, Delta had reimbursed reasonable expenses for their issues

dinanm3atl Apr 11, 2017 12:12 pm

I have not seen this 20K SM offer. If that is what they offer I won't be happy.

I am due MQM/Credit for F Fare that I didn't fly. Plus multiple Ubers. Luckily no hotel as I went home to my own house. I had may different schedules. Plus I also had a bag lost. Went to wrong airport. Delivered at 230am. They closed down the Sky Priority lane and told myself and a few others to go to the mainline which had 1000+ people. Multiple other issues.

heckler Apr 11, 2017 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by dinanm3atl (Post 28162712)
I have not seen this 20K SM offer. If that is what they offer I won't be happy.

I am due MQM/Credit for F Fare that I didn't fly. Plus multiple Ubers. Luckily no hotel as I went home to my own house. I had may different schedules. Plus I also had a bag lost. Went to wrong airport. Delivered at 230am. They closed down the Sky Priority lane and told myself and a few others to go to the mainline which had 1000+ people. Multiple other issues.

How are you due MQMs for a flight you didn't fly?

dinanm3atl Apr 11, 2017 12:41 pm

I was on an F Fare which is 200% MQM. It 'wasn't possible' per the medallion line(on multiple schedule changes). Thus I was placed in a middle Comfort Plus seat... luckily I was able to move to an aisle minutes before boarding.

kitkat77 Apr 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Youngmiler (Post 28162368)
I sent a complaint.

Hmm, maybe I should complain....

Youngmiler Apr 11, 2017 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by kitkat77 (Post 28163087)
Hmm, maybe I should complain....

My complaint was that IT issues made for quite a difficult day of travel. With the website and app not displaying my reservation, I had no idea what flights I was on as I was being rebooked automatically and receiving conflicting notification and the only way to find out was to wait in lines to speak to a representative as the phone wait time were hours long. I would literally finish talking to an agent and go back in line because I knew by the time I got to the front again, my trip would have changed - I ended up doing this numerous times on April 5th.

pitpit Apr 11, 2017 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by Youngmiler (Post 28163751)
My complaint was that IT issues made for quite a difficult day of travel. With the website and app not displaying my reservation, I had no idea what flights I was on as I was being rebooked automatically and receiving conflicting notification and the only way to find out was to wait in lines to speak to a representative as the phone wait time were hours long. I would literally finish talking to an agent and go back in line because I knew by the time I got to the front again, my trip would have changed - I ended up doing this numerous times on April 5th.

Similar thing happened to me on 4/6. I was at PHL waiting on my flight when the flight disappeared from my app. I was waiting in line to talk to someone and got the text that my flight was cancelled and they'd get back to me with my new booking. 40 minutes later and I had no word on a new flight...

pbiflyer Apr 11, 2017 3:48 pm

Was scheduled to fly PBI-ATL-CLT on Monday at 9:30am. Flight was oversold, due to a couple cancelled flights over the weekend due to the disruption.

For volunteering to bump I was given 800 Delta dollars, and rebooked on the 3:30pm PBI-ATL-GSP, which is where I wanted to go in the first place. Had booked CLT as it was several hundred dollars cheaper.

Put on stand by for the 11:30am flight. Was 8th on the list, but made it on the plane and was given an exit row on the 2 side of an MD88.

So, for $800, I was two hours late to my hotel. Still made the dinner engagement. Not a bad day for me.

kitkat77 Apr 12, 2017 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Youngmiler (Post 28163751)

Yes, I understand this. My first flight cancellation (4/6) resulted in a 30 min DM line callback and a flight that night from a different airport. I drove to that ariport to find that flight also cancelled.

However, from there it went very south. The app no long showed my reservation and I waited almost 2 hours in a priority line that for most of that 2 hours had one person handling issues. During that time I got a DM callback (about an hour in) and my reservation briefly reappeared on the app, but neither could do anything better than a 4/8 flight. Once I got to the front of the line, the TA spent 5 min before she could find my reservation, frowned, and got another agent who muttered that she didn't understand, hit a few keys, and handed me a boarding pass (in C+) for the next day nonstop. No agent was rude or mean in any of those exchanges and all seemed to be doing the best they could.

My question then is why did I have to wait 2 hours in line for that? Why didn't the app or even the hour callback allow me to do this without the line and hassle? Is that even a complaint?

FWIW, that nonstop did eventually go, but 5.5 hours late and during that time they literally could not find the pilot and put it on an every 30 min rolling delay so I felt I couldn't even leave the gate. They never did find the pilot, but did find two new ones. :)

rylan Apr 13, 2017 8:28 am

Originally Posted by kitkat77 (Post 28169163)
My question then is why did I have to wait 2 hours in line for that? Why didn't the app or even the hour callback allow me to do this without the line and hassle? Is that even a complaint?

Because their systems were not working properly... overloaded and/or down at various time throughout the day and night. Despite the statement from the CEO that things were working as expected, having the app not display your reservations and being unable to rebook online or with the app made the lines even longer.
So yes that should be a complaint.

bretthexum Apr 13, 2017 8:39 am

Originally Posted by kitkat77 (Post 28169163)

FWIW, that nonstop did eventually go, but 5.5 hours late and during that time they literally could not find the pilot and put it on an every 30 min rolling delay so I felt I couldn't even leave the gate. They never did find the pilot, but did find two new ones. :)

This is what absolutely drove me insane when caught in ATL. We had the whole gate overflowing for 3+ hours, because they'd just roll 30 minute delays. I just wish it would have been planned a little better so we could at least go find somewhere to sit.

kitkat77 Apr 13, 2017 11:51 am

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 28172687)
Because their systems were not working properly... overloaded and/or down at various time throughout the day and night. Despite the statement from the CEO that things were working as expected, having the app not display your reservations and being unable to rebook online or with the app made the lines even longer.
So yes that should be a complaint.

Oh, I was pretty well aware their systems were down even though they said otherwise.

I filed the complaint today. Evidently 2x of either cancel or delay > 3 hours is eligible for compensation, and I had 2x cx and 1 delay > 3 hours so I should either get the voucher or the miles.

Originally Posted by bretthexum (Post 28172744)
This is what absolutely drove me insane when caught in ATL. We had the whole gate overflowing for 3+ hours, because they'd just roll 30 minute delays. I just wish it would have been planned a little better so we could at least go find somewhere to sit.

Same here although there was plenty of seating at my gate. There were folks that stayed lined up for at least an hr after the first delay.

dinanm3atl Apr 13, 2017 1:10 pm

Points Guy says Delta announced 20K... can't seem to find official details.

jasongc87 Apr 13, 2017 1:51 pm

IRROPS put on different carrier

Originally Posted by Youngmiler (Post 28161778)
I just received a phone call from Delta CS regarding the issues on April 5th. They are giving me 20,000 skymiles and they should arrive no later than May 1st. Very surprised how quickly they got back to me and with a personal call, not just an auto email.

I wonder if I'll be eligible. I was flying out of DCA on my way to SJO via ATL and my flight was eventually cancelled. I stood in line for about an hour and a half at checkin at DCA and was put on an Avianca flight from Dulles to SAL to SJO. I had to cover the cab and got in 2 hours later. I emailed customer service before I saw this post though. Thoughts anyone? I'm not a Skymiles member nor am I an elite flier with Delta, just Alaska MVP Gold 75K

mfFrom35K Apr 13, 2017 5:33 pm

No call for me but I just checked my account and found 20k Member Appreciation Miles. In my case we were delayed 6 hours on Sat, April 8 and missed the last connection in Atlanta and had to overnight. Given long lines at midnight Sat we just booked our own hotel downtown ATL as all airport hotels were fully booked by midnight. I have complained and asked for hotel reimbursement but have not heard back yet.

My wife who is a general member also received 20k Member Appreciation Miles.

calrick Apr 13, 2017 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by kitkat77 (Post 28162310)

My Friday flight was canceled, full refund. I received an E survey on Monday which I filled out. 20k posted tonight (4-13). Nice touch Delta.

Ordhater Apr 13, 2017 6:46 pm

I also just got 20,000 miles. Cancellation Thursday morning and a very creative rebook.

unitedbusiness Apr 13, 2017 6:56 pm

Are all medallions receiving this 20K miles bonus even if they didn't fly during the IRROPS hell, or only if they had interrupted flights last week/weekend?

davetravels Apr 13, 2017 7:02 pm

Flew Friday morning PIT/LGA, and delayed 3:53 arriving.

Saturday morning on time return home.

Both 7,500 mile award tix.

Got an apology eMail for EACH day - - but as of right now, ZERO miles.

:(

GagaPilot Apr 13, 2017 7:05 pm

20,000 miles just hit my account. No status (anymore). Connecting flight cancelled on 4/7 resulting in myself having to book a flight on WN to avoid being stranded in SEA for 2 days. Nice gesture, very much appreciated. However once I finish the return portion of my itinerary tomorrow I will still be calling to get a refund for the 2 segments that I did not fly due to DL cancellations.

dinanm3atl Apr 13, 2017 7:46 pm

Interesting.

PM and no miles yet. Multiple cancelations on Wednesday(the start of the issue). Thursday flight delayed.

Wait and see. I have a complaint detailing into Delta as well.

arlflyer Apr 13, 2017 7:56 pm

Just received an email on this. They certainly weren't beating around the bush. Great subject line. Points hit the account instantly - or at least by the time (5 minutes after email sent) when I checked my account.

First "flight" on DL in years.

*never flew due to the mess

ijgordon Apr 13, 2017 8:04 pm

Flight cancelled on Thursday. Reaccom wasn't for 72 hours. (Made other arrangements). Just got the email about 20k miles, and a $200 voucher.
Whatever.

MegatopLover Apr 13, 2017 8:04 pm

My spouse and I have both received 20k RDMs. We were on ATL-JFK Friday morning, rolling 30-min delays then CXLD at STD+ 6 hours. By then we already had a rental, drove to NY that night and next day. The flight we were rebooked on for Saturday went off with an 8 hour delay. We weren't on it, so someone else got our seats.

Won't bother with ORC. But do want the unused tix credited for future travel. And we need to talk about the ~$325 the rental and an overnight hotel en route cost.

Thankfully, most fortunately, China Eastern took mercy on us and rebooked our separate ticket to BKK with about a 36-hour delay.

Edited to add: Just saw the prior post and checked email. Got the email. Nice note from Ed B.

appleguru Apr 13, 2017 8:06 pm

Fiancé, GM, had two flights canceled and got the 20k miles. After a sleepless night (spent over 6 hours waiting on hold for DL), I managed to get her on an alternate routing for the following day. We had to change some plans around, but it worked out more or less.

I (DM) had a flight delayed ~9hrs through ATL, managed to snag the last seat on an alternate flight through SLC, which was delayed 2 hours... No miles for me (yet). Not sure what their cutoff is?