Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Early April Operation Disruption Compensation

Early April Operation Disruption Compensation

Old Apr 11, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; Delta Platinum
My trip was completely cancelled too due to Delta not being able to get me there for days

I'll be interested to see if there's a difference for flights delayed up to a day vs those that had entire vacations cancelled

From past experiences, Delta had reimbursed reasonable expenses for their issues
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I have not seen this 20K SM offer. If that is what they offer I won't be happy.

I am due MQM/Credit for F Fare that I didn't fly. Plus multiple Ubers. Luckily no hotel as I went home to my own house. I had may different schedules. Plus I also had a bag lost. Went to wrong airport. Delivered at 230am. They closed down the Sky Priority lane and told myself and a few others to go to the mainline which had 1000+ people. Multiple other issues.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I have not seen this 20K SM offer. If that is what they offer I won't be happy.

I am due MQM/Credit for F Fare that I didn't fly. Plus multiple Ubers. Luckily no hotel as I went home to my own house. I had may different schedules. Plus I also had a bag lost. Went to wrong airport. Delivered at 230am. They closed down the Sky Priority lane and told myself and a few others to go to the mainline which had 1000+ people. Multiple other issues.
How are you due MQMs for a flight you didn't fly?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I was on an F Fare which is 200% MQM. It 'wasn't possible' per the medallion line(on multiple schedule changes). Thus I was placed in a middle Comfort Plus seat... luckily I was able to move to an aisle minutes before boarding.

Last edited by dinanm3atl; Apr 11, 2017 at 1:00 pm
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Youngmiler
I sent a complaint.
Hmm, maybe I should complain....
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kitkat77
Hmm, maybe I should complain....
My complaint was that IT issues made for quite a difficult day of travel. With the website and app not displaying my reservation, I had no idea what flights I was on as I was being rebooked automatically and receiving conflicting notification and the only way to find out was to wait in lines to speak to a representative as the phone wait time were hours long. I would literally finish talking to an agent and go back in line because I knew by the time I got to the front again, my trip would have changed - I ended up doing this numerous times on April 5th.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Ambassador Platinum
My complaint was that IT issues made for quite a difficult day of travel. With the website and app not displaying my reservation, I had no idea what flights I was on as I was being rebooked automatically and receiving conflicting notification and the only way to find out was to wait in lines to speak to a representative as the phone wait time were hours long. I would literally finish talking to an agent and go back in line because I knew by the time I got to the front again, my trip would have changed - I ended up doing this numerous times on April 5th.
Similar thing happened to me on 4/6. I was at PHL waiting on my flight when the flight disappeared from my app. I was waiting in line to talk to someone and got the text that my flight was cancelled and they'd get back to me with my new booking. 40 minutes later and I had no word on a new flight...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Was scheduled to fly PBI-ATL-CLT on Monday at 9:30am. Flight was oversold, due to a couple cancelled flights over the weekend due to the disruption.

For volunteering to bump I was given 800 Delta dollars, and rebooked on the 3:30pm PBI-ATL-GSP, which is where I wanted to go in the first place. Had booked CLT as it was several hundred dollars cheaper.

Put on stand by for the 11:30am flight. Was 8th on the list, but made it on the plane and was given an exit row on the 2 side of an MD88.

So, for $800, I was two hours late to my hotel. Still made the dinner engagement. Not a bad day for me.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 2:32 pm

Yes, I understand this. My first flight cancellation (4/6) resulted in a 30 min DM line callback and a flight that night from a different airport. I drove to that ariport to find that flight also cancelled.

However, from there it went very south. The app no long showed my reservation and I waited almost 2 hours in a priority line that for most of that 2 hours had one person handling issues. During that time I got a DM callback (about an hour in) and my reservation briefly reappeared on the app, but neither could do anything better than a 4/8 flight. Once I got to the front of the line, the TA spent 5 min before she could find my reservation, frowned, and got another agent who muttered that she didn't understand, hit a few keys, and handed me a boarding pass (in C+) for the next day nonstop. No agent was rude or mean in any of those exchanges and all seemed to be doing the best they could.

My question then is why did I have to wait 2 hours in line for that? Why didn't the app or even the hour callback allow me to do this without the line and hassle? Is that even a complaint?

FWIW, that nonstop did eventually go, but 5.5 hours late and during that time they literally could not find the pilot and put it on an every 30 min rolling delay so I felt I couldn't even leave the gate. They never did find the pilot, but did find two new ones.

Last edited by kitkat77; Apr 13, 2017 at 8:10 am
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
My question then is why did I have to wait 2 hours in line for that? Why didn't the app or even the hour callback allow me to do this without the line and hassle? Is that even a complaint?
Because their systems were not working properly... overloaded and/or down at various time throughout the day and night. Despite the statement from the CEO that things were working as expected, having the app not display your reservations and being unable to rebook online or with the app made the lines even longer.
So yes that should be a complaint.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond

FWIW, that nonstop did eventually go, but 5.5 hours late and during that time they literally could not find the pilot and put it on an every 30 min rolling delay so I felt I couldn't even leave the gate. They never did find the pilot, but did find two new ones.
This is what absolutely drove me insane when caught in ATL. We had the whole gate overflowing for 3+ hours, because they'd just roll 30 minute delays. I just wish it would have been planned a little better so we could at least go find somewhere to sit.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Because their systems were not working properly... overloaded and/or down at various time throughout the day and night. Despite the statement from the CEO that things were working as expected, having the app not display your reservations and being unable to rebook online or with the app made the lines even longer.
So yes that should be a complaint.
Oh, I was pretty well aware their systems were down even though they said otherwise.

I filed the complaint today. Evidently 2x of either cancel or delay > 3 hours is eligible for compensation, and I had 2x cx and 1 delay > 3 hours so I should either get the voucher or the miles.

Originally Posted by bretthexum
This is what absolutely drove me insane when caught in ATL. We had the whole gate overflowing for 3+ hours, because they'd just roll 30 minute delays. I just wish it would have been planned a little better so we could at least go find somewhere to sit.
Same here although there was plenty of seating at my gate. There were folks that stayed lined up for at least an hr after the first delay.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:10 pm

Points Guy says Delta announced 20K... can't seem to find official details.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K
IRROPS put on different carrier

I just received a phone call from Delta CS regarding the issues on April 5th. They are giving me 20,000 skymiles and they should arrive no later than May 1st. Very surprised how quickly they got back to me and with a personal call, not just an auto email.
I wonder if I'll be eligible. I was flying out of DCA on my way to SJO via ATL and my flight was eventually cancelled. I stood in line for about an hour and a half at checkin at DCA and was put on an Avianca flight from Dulles to SAL to SJO. I had to cover the cab and got in 2 hours later. I emailed customer service before I saw this post though. Thoughts anyone? I'm not a Skymiles member nor am I an elite flier with Delta, just Alaska MVP Gold 75K
Old Apr 13, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
No call for me but I just checked my account and found 20k Member Appreciation Miles. In my case we were delayed 6 hours on Sat, April 8 and missed the last connection in Atlanta and had to overnight. Given long lines at midnight Sat we just booked our own hotel downtown ATL as all airport hotels were fully booked by midnight. I have complained and asked for hotel reimbursement but have not heard back yet.

My wife who is a general member also received 20k Member Appreciation Miles.

Last edited by mfFrom35K; Apr 13, 2017 at 5:39 pm Reason: Adding wife info.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.