Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I'm confused: why is DL itin booked as AF 2K cheaper than booked as DL (all DL flts)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm confused: why is DL itin booked as AF 2K cheaper than booked as DL (all DL flts)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:06 am
pmv
Original Poster

So I'm looking at an trip to Italy. All DL metal.

Booked as Air France: $7474
Booked as Delta: $9376

does this make sense? I'd earn more miles (I'm a DL plat) booking the DL itinerary, but NOT worth the $2k (especially since the MQMs the same)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pmv

does this make sense? I'd earn more miles (I'm a DL plat) booking the DL itinerary, but NOT worth the $2k (especially since the MQMs the same)
Are you sure you'd earn more miles? An AF ticket can earn more miles and MQD depending on the distance of the flights.

Regardless AF and DL are free to set whatever pricing they want for their flights. Even though DL may operate the flight in the end, it's still an AF flight.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pmv
....Booked as Air France: $7474
Booked as Delta: $9376....
Yes, all normal. AF flights and DL flights, even if on same metal, are treated as different flights by system. They can have different fares and different availability.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:22 am
pmv
Original Poster

flyerCO: As a plat I earn 9miles/$1 fare on DL, on AF I believe I earn (with medallion bonus and class bonus) ~200% of actual miles. For VPS-ATL-FCO-ATL-FCO it's about 70K miles vs 22K; and yes, of course they can charge what they want but it still SEEMS odd

TerryK: "Normal" .... like my family I guess (or in DL terms "normal" as in their recovery from last week's issues!)
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
On that routing it does sound like you'll earn more if booked as DL flights. You could also call DL and ask to book the AF fare which then would be issued on 006 stock. Thus youd get DL style per $ earnings on the lower cost AF fare.

Also I'd consider if dropping the VPS segment would lower your fare. Or booking from JFK. Either way the cost of adding a positioning flight can be much less (thousands) then booking it directly from VPS.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 6:52 am
pmv
Original Poster

flyerFCO.... thanks for the great ideas, but unfortunately I have to book through my corporate travel office (including my positioning flight)....
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:17 am

Good Question

Originally Posted by pmv

Such a good question. Happens often.

I booked a flight from where I live to Beirut, Lebanon via CDG in January. With what I wanted on the DL web page, I called the elite line and they booked some segments on AF and the total was $300 cheaper. That is the one I booked.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
It can happen for a variety of reasons. A simple one:

AF has been allocated X number of seats on a DL operated flight through their codeshare agreement, DL has sold most of their allotment for the flight so they are only offering higher fare buckets, on the other hand - AF still has a number left to sell so they have lower fare buckets open in an effort to spread them.

The rise of OTAs has helped make these arbitrage opportunities available to the public where in the older days you'd likely need a local TA that was ticketing AF tickets specifically do do this.

I've taken advantage of this on *A a decent amount though the waters are easier to navigate since mileage is award based on operating carrier, not marketing carrier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.