Wiki Posts
Search

Use SM for someone else / wifi

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Use SM for someone else / wifi

Dear all,

forgive me if this should have come to my attention alternatively.

Can i buy a giftcard(for instance) to use for board wifi for someone else or is there another free option to arrange this?
Friends of mine are traveling on DL but do not have an account and i thought of using my miles for them to be able to use o/b wifi.
thanks in advance for your advice.

M
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Mcflyneo
Dear all,

forgive me if this should have come to my attention alternatively.

Can i buy a giftcard(for instance) to use for board wifi for someone else or is there another free option to arrange this?
Friends of mine are traveling on DL but do not have an account and i thought of using my miles for them to be able to use o/b wifi.
thanks in advance for your advice.

M
You cannot use a DL gift card for on board wifi, but you should be able to buy a flight pass or 24-hour pass for them directly from gogo. Note that you'll have to pay with a credit card and cannot use miles, since gogo is a third party and separate from Delta itself.

Also, I can't remember if buying a pass in advance just gives you a code that you can then give your friend, or if it must be assigned to a gogo account at the time of purchase. I haven't ever bought a pass for anyone other than myself or Mrs. Lee. Someone else might be able to chime in on that part.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It assigns it to the account logged in. Would have to create one for friend and then purchase under that account.

If you're going to do that and trust the friend, you can always share the login of your account.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks you guys
Do you perhaps know if DL has something like KLM's 'wannagives'? That would be my last option.
My friends don't necessarily need wifi nor have to be surprised with it (anymore) so this made me think of the wannagives idea.
I know DL has the skyshop thing but i wonder if i could spend SM on a gift (to be delivered) in the air?
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:32 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by Mcflyneo
Thanks you guys
Do you perhaps know if DL has something like KLM's 'wannagives'? That would be my last option.
My friends don't necessarily need wifi nor have to be surprised with it (anymore) so this made me think of the wannagives idea.
I know DL has the skyshop thing but i wonder if i could spend SM on a gift (to be delivered) in the air?
To my knowledge, Delta has no such program.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It assigns it to the account logged in. Would have to create one for friend and then purchase under that account.

If you're going to do that and trust the friend, you can always share the login of your account.
If you are talking about a Gogo account, Gogo got smart and starting
keeping track of the equipment you are using (probably mac addresses). If you try and connect with multiple equipment (ipad, iphone, laptop etc) it will shut down your account and you have to tell them which equipment is yours. I found that out trying to share a yearly subscription last year.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Mr. Tickets
If you are talking about a Gogo account, Gogo got smart and starting
keeping track of the equipment you are using (probably mac addresses). If you try and connect with multiple equipment (ipad, iphone, laptop etc) it will shut down your account and you have to tell them which equipment is yours. I found that out trying to share a yearly subscription last year.
Yes at the same time. However as long as you're not trying to use more than one device at a time you're OK.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Yes at the same time. However as long as you're not trying to use more than one device at a time you're OK.
This.

Flew SYD-LAX a few months ago and we had a global pass from the 2-for-1 deal they had last year. Mrs. Lee and I basically just shared the pass for the whole flight. I would fiddle on my tablet for a bit, then she would sign in on her phone (same account) and it would "take over" the connection from my tablet, then one of us would use the Surface, etc.

I was actually impressed with how seamless it was going from device to device. IIRC the sign-in page was also very explicit about what would happen if you signed into an already-connected account, as well as how to handle multiple devices if you wanted to.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 2:56 pm

No, that's not correct. I was only using one device at a time. They still made me call in and verify which devices were mine. I think they said you were allowed up to four.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, that's not correct. I was only using one device at a time. They still made me call in and verify which devices were mine. I think they said you were allowed up to four.
Interesting. I've definitely used my account with more than four devices over time and never run into any issues.

I'm guessing there's another factor, like time or proximity, that flags an account. For example, using 8 devices over the course of a year...could be that someone switched jobs and got a new work laptop/phone, and then also bought a new personal tablet and phone, or whatever. But using one device on a JFK-SFO flight and then 2 hours later logging in from a 2nd device on a MIA-DTW flight....questionable.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Can't help you, but never had that issue, and appears others haven't as well.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Perhaps the telling point is the attempt to share a yearly subscription. I imagine that produces a very different sign-in pattern than you or I just trying to juggle a handful of our own devices.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gooselee
Perhaps the telling point is the attempt to share a yearly subscription. I imagine that produces a very different sign-in pattern than you or I just trying to juggle a handful of our own devices.
It could be possible then. I have a monthly account good on all airlines with GoGo since I travel on both DL and AA.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 3:50 pm

I understand, but it happened. They have also raised the rates so much that it wasn't worth it for my travel anyway. Just get a USBank Flex perks
card (has to be a personal, not corporate) and you get 12 free sessions a year. They also let you put someone elses free sessions in your account. Can't lose on that.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C W
To my knowledge, Delta has no such program.
Shucks, thank you anyway for your feedback. Much appreciated since i rarely fly DL. I just have some "never expiring miles" which i hoped i could use in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.