Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Certain Partner J Awards to Europe now 85,000 miles?

Certain Partner J Awards to Europe now 85,000 miles?

Old Apr 25, 17, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Yep, it's written into the fare rules now:

THE FARE COMPONENT MUST INCLUDE TRAVEL VIA TRANSATLANTIC SECTORS ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY DL FLIGHT...
Old Apr 25, 17, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PaulInTheSky View Post
This is the worst when it comes to award pricing in DL. You won't know what you are dealing with until you see the final pricing from the DL website. There's absolutely no transparency whatsoever. Not even a heads-up?
I guess it's kind of like cash pricing then, eh?

At least I generally know what my cash can buy me. This is now Monopoly money.
Old May 26, 17, 10:54 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Want to ask here before starting a new post since I couldn't find it anywhere yet.

If I already had an award booked at 80k before the devalue and I wanted to change right now. Will they still honor any flight on the 'low' tier or doesn't matter what 'low', from now I will have to pay the 15k difference for the changes.

I'm not hoping for a schedule change because I need to reschedule both ways to a much later date.
Old May 26, 17, 11:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
Want to ask here before starting a new post since I couldn't find it anywhere yet.

If I already had an award booked at 80k before the devalue and I wanted to change right now. Will they still honor any flight on the 'low' tier or doesn't matter what 'low', from now I will have to pay the 15k difference for the changes.

I'm not hoping for a schedule change because I need to reschedule both ways to a much later date.
Any change is redeposit and rebook, so you will get the original price redeposited and will be charged the new (current) price.
Old May 27, 17, 1:33 am

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by RealHJ View Post
Any change is redeposit and rebook, so you will get the original price redeposited and will be charged the new (current) price.

Yep, that is what I think too and I think that is the typical and "easy" way to do it. But isn't it possible to keep the 'original' issued ticket and just change the stuff inside. That way this will still keep the original ticket intact. Given that I still have to complete the travel 1 year from my original ticket issue date.

I guess in a short a better question form "Is there a way to/Anyone successfully, change and still keep the old 80k price without help of schedule change?"
Old May 27, 17, 1:40 am

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Yep, that is what I think too and I think that is the typical and "easy" way to do it. But isn't it possible to keep the 'original' issued ticket and just change the stuff inside. That way this will still keep the original ticket intact. Given that I still have to complete the travel 1 year from my original ticket issue date.

I guess in a short a better question form "Is there a way to/Anyone successfully, change and still keep the old 80k price without help of schedule change?"
No, changing any flights requires a reticket. Only exception is DL flights close in (day of travel) irrops and upgrades, when the ticket can be "revalidated." Any non-DL flights and changes other than day of flight require a ticket to be reissued. Reissued ticket is always repriced. PNR can have flights changed and be "ended" (saved), but if it's not reticketed, you will not be able to check in and fly and the other airlines will cancel your reservation with a valid ticket. PNR and ticket have to match. Only way to do that is to re-ticket it after PNR changes, which invalidates (status: exchanged) and redeposits the original ticket and debits/charges for the new ticket at the then-current pricing. What you are asking for simply isn't possible, not if your ticket involves flights operated by airlines other than DL. If someone at DL does so for you, you will not be able to fly as your ticket won't match your PNR.
Old May 27, 17, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond

No is the short answer. Voluntary changes always result in a reprice to then available fares. There won't be a fare at the lower price thus will need to pay more. Only exception is if there's a schedule change and you don't like the newly picked flights. Then they'll exchange since at same rate since it was their doing.
Old May 27, 17, 6:25 am

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
No is the short answer. Voluntary changes always result in a reprice to then available fares. There won't be a fare at the lower price thus will need to pay more. Only exception is if there's a schedule change and you don't like the newly picked flights. Then they'll exchange since at same rate since it was their doing.
You guys are all wrong. I have changed my 80K Asia award (No DL segments) 3 times... np changes in mileage required.
Attached Images  
Old May 27, 17, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aero0729 View Post
You guys are all wrong. I have changed my 80K Asia award (No DL segments) 3 times... np changes in mileage required.
Were there any schedule changes? Is it US-ASIA? A voluntary change with no other reason (schedule change, IRROPS, etc) should result in repricing.
Old May 27, 17, 9:58 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Were there any schedule changes? Is it US-ASIA? A voluntary change with no other reason (schedule change, IRROPS, etc) should result in repricing.
IME agents will often just even exchange complicated partner awards in order to avoid recalculating the taxes manually. Which can either work in your favor or not.
Old May 27, 17, 10:23 am

Programs: AS MVP ; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC View Post
This is ridiculous. How can they raise award miles needed like every 6 months. They just moved US-India in J to 97,500 (highest of any US airline). Now if you do not have DL in one leg of your journey, you pay 120k each way! That is crazy. So JFK-CDG-BOM all on AF is 120k while JFK-CDG-BOM on DL and then AF or 9W is 97,500. As much as I hate EWR & UA, I really need to think about what I will do in 2018. UA's 80k for partner airlines to India is like a steal. AA is even cheaper but its too dependent on EY.
Yeah, its one of the worst redemptions to India in J, but as long as there is any option with DL to burn the last few 100000 miles, flying one segment on DL isn't such a bad option.

UA's redemption is decidedly better, yes. And great availability too.
Old May 27, 17, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
All my changes were voluntary. They did recalculate tax since I changes country of origin. There was no discussion or argument about miles. None of the 3 agents mentioned the amount of miles other than saying it stays the same
Old May 28, 17, 1:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by aero0729 View Post
All my changes were voluntary. They did recalculate tax since I changes country of origin. There was no discussion or argument about miles. None of the 3 agents mentioned the amount of miles other than saying it stays the same
Your ticket is still being repriced like many others have pointed out. You have been lucky because there has been available partner inventory. Your old ticket price was 80k. Your new ticket price is 80k.

For example, I can book LAX-TPE on CI for 95k miles plus tax, and I can change it to SEA-ICN on KE and it will remain 95k plus tax, given there is partner availability on both flights.
Old May 28, 17, 12:34 pm

It gets better... delta now charges 85000 miles plus over $500 in surcharges for virgin Atlantic upper class.

seriously, who still wants to earn delta miles?
Old May 28, 17, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc View Post
It gets better... delta now charges 85000 miles plus over $500 in surcharges for virgin Atlantic upper class.

seriously, who still wants to earn delta miles?
Hey but they have new DL Amex offers now, 70k for DL Amex Platinum and 60k for DL Amex Gold!

I haven't had DL Amex Platinum but what will 70k miles get? Nothing terribly interesting, maybe an overpriced J trancon award?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: