Wiki Posts
Search

Is ATL too much of a hub ?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I think the insinuation was that NWA was more concentrated at MSP *and* DTW than DL is at ATL not as a combination but each on their own i.e. NWA was more concentrated at MSP than DL is at ATL and NWA was more concentrated at DTW than DL is at ATL.
That is a correct interpretation.

It's possible that is true but it would have to be pretty close given the fact it appears every third DL flight is one leaving ATL.
Every third flight wouldn't match the roughly 40% NW of traffic that went through MSP or DTW.

I would note that, unlike some on this forum, when 3Cforme says something, you can assume it to be true.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by JSFox
Possibly the benefits of the DL world so centralized in ATL are worth issues like we are currently experiencing and have numerous other times. Or would a bit of dispersing out more through MSP, DTW, and elsewhere be a good thing to lessen the near single point of failure that is ATL?
ATL is the best running large hub/airport in the world. If all heck breaks loose that is where I would most like to be stuck. At least during irops in ATL you have a chance of getting another flight.

And it does not happen that often.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by pbarnette
That is a correct interpretation.

Every third flight wouldn't match the roughly 40% NW of traffic that went through MSP or DTW.

I would note that, unlike some on this forum, when 3Cforme says something, you can assume it to be true.
In a press release yesterday the Delta COO said 60% of all Delta's 1250 aircraft cycle through ATL every day.

Was MSP and/or DTW ever that high of a volume of aircraft?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by apodo77
In a press release yesterday the Delta COO said 60% of all Delta's 1250 aircraft cycle through ATL every day.

If they both served ~40% of traffic, I'd have to think so (as a percentage).
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
If they both served ~40% of traffic, I'd have to think so (as a percentage).
I would think that 75-80% of mainline NW aircraft touched MSP or DTW each day, mostly because there weren't that many mainline flights that didn't. I think you're 40% tradfic figure is bogus, but I'd agree the amount of traffic outside those two hubs was higher than aircraft due to the oversized RPM contribution of TPAC flights.

Regardless, both NW and DL's domestic systems are/were exposed to 1-2 hubs. They both ran generally solid operations which mitigated much of this risk.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by apodo77

I would think MSP and DTW were both higher. It doesn't mean that 60% of flights are through a specific airport, it just means that a plane goes there at least once.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
ATL is the best running large hub/airport in the world. If all heck breaks loose that is where I would most like to be stuck. At least during irops in ATL you have a chance of getting another flight.

I'd take a number of airports over ATL in terms of best run large hubs. ICN, SIN for sure, likely MUC too. I'd personally take DFW but that might just be me being much more personally familiar with it, there's room for argument there, so I won't add that to a generic list.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I'll at least give you that...it's nice to know there's more options for rebooking (just don't take the last flight of the day and watch those <45 min connections in case of IRROPS).

The more I fly through ATL, the more efficient I realize it is. Though I do miss having more options to fly through just to mix it up every once in a while.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by fly18725
I think you're 40% tradfic figure is bogus
It isn't my figure. But I did some back of the envelope number crunching for the last 12 months of NW's existence. If you take mainline traffic at DTW, MSP, MEM, MKE, and IND and without accounting for any hub-hub traffic (which likely overstates the "hub" traffic at MKE and IND), DTW clocks in at 40% of enplaned NW passengers and MSP comes in at 44%. I'm happy to have someone offer different calculations, but ~40% seems about right.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
It would be difficult to quantify t-storm intensity to begin with - are you going by lightning activity, amount of rain, size of hail, wind speeds, damage reports, tornadic activity?
Americans specialize in difficult tasks: Thunderstorm Ranking Scale.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by ND76
I was standing on the SkyDeck at the F Concourse SkyClub on Saturday when a very nice man from Yorkshire, flying DL RSW-ATL-MAN, struck up a conversation with me. He didn't understand why ATL was considered the busiest airport in the world.

I told him to wait a moment, and, voila, there were simultaneous flight activity on all 5 parallel runways. I told him that the 5th runway, 10-28, which could not be seen from the SkyDeck, gives ATL a capacity advantage that airports such as ORD and JFK can't match, plus the fact that Delta operates from at least 130 gates across seven buildings.
You should've told him that in the mid 2000s ATL was doing as many aircraft operations as all of the London airports (Heathrow, Gatwick, London City, Luton, Stansted, and Southend) put together...
Now, all those London airports move 1.1-1.2M operations together versus 900-925K for just ATL.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
Americans specialize in difficult tasks: Thunderstorm Ranking Scale.
It's an interesting idea but that article is 6 years old and it hasn't caught on, has it? I think as a forecast element it's not that useful because it's like predicting tornadoes by EF scale i.e. extremely uncertain and problematic. It could be a useful classification for statistical purposes though (which insurance companies as well as aviation interests may find useful for example).
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman

I'd take a number of airports over ATL in terms of best run large hubs. ICN, SIN for sure, likely MUC too. I'd personally take DFW but that might just be me being much more personally familiar with it, there's room for argument there, so I won't add that to a generic list.
You're literally trying to compare airports to ATL that move 35-40% of the aircraft and roughly half of the passengers. Atlanta is in a class by itself when it comes to best run, most efficient airports in the entire world.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Originally Posted by TheBOSman

Hubs that are primarily international and ones that are primarily domestic have very different operational parameters, so I don't think it's fair to compare ATL vs. ICN/SIN/DXB/DOH/CDG/etc.

DFW was built for O&D passengers, and it serves that purpose well. It's actually quite inefficient as a connecting hub, though. Passengers connecting between east/west terminals (A/D and B/C especially) have no choice but the train. I've personally experienced 30+ min. taxi times in perfect weather just to get to a runway on the other side of the airport. It is not efficient.

Arguably the second most efficient airport in the US is DEN, in terms of both ground operations and passenger convenience. I'm sure it's purely coincidental that DEN was built from scratch to mimic the layout of ATL. I can't blame them - if it's not broke don't fix it.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 5:55 pm

While I don't expect it to happen, there are some traffic flows it would be benefcicial to shift to DTW, MSP, and SLC, particularly NE-West Coast flows. Additionally, they could cut for example, 2 ATL-JAX frequencies and move one each to DTW and MSP.

While Delta's never going to be able to isolate aircraft transiting ATL to the same extent as AA did at ORD, they could try isolating some portion. Perhaps, for example, limiting the MD-90 and 321 fleets to ATL or something like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.