Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do Platinum members and companion get upgraded to Comfort + on international flights?

Do Platinum members and companion get upgraded to Comfort + on international flights?

Old Apr 6, 17, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles

I know first class upgrades aren't allowed, but what about Comfort seats?
Old Apr 6, 17, 11:41 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
It is important to not confuse First and Business class. Delta has First class on domestic flights and some short international flights mostly in North America, the Caribbean, and northern Latin America.

Business class is Delta One and features lay-flat seats and upgraded catering. It is featured on long-haul international flights and premium transcontinental flights. All flights with First class feature complimentary upgrades. No flights with Delta One (business class) feature complimentary upgrades.

There is an important distinction regarding Comfort+ between domestic and international flights.

For domestic flights (and international flights served with Delta's domestic First class) Comfort+ is treated as its own fare class, W. Therefore you are placed on an upgrade list as FO or GM or upgraded instantly after purchase as PM or DM to WU. There must technically be WU inventory available, but there almost always is. This applies for the Medallion and one companion, who must be at least a SkyMiles member, on the same PNR.

For all other international flights Comfort+ is treated as a purchasable seat selection. There is no "upgrade" since there is no fare class change. Sky Miles members can pay money to select C+, FO can select for free 24 hours from departure, GM can select for free 72 hours from departure, and PM and DM can select for free during or after booking. There are no inventory controls as there is no separate fare inventory. All Medallions are allowed to select a seat for themselves and one companion who must be at least a SkyMiles member.

Note: There has been a change today regarding which tickets are eligible for companion upgrades. Short answer, pretty much all. Discussion here.

Last edited by C W; Apr 6, 17 at 11:46 am
Old Apr 6, 17, 11:49 am
TTT

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by C W View Post
It is important to not confuse First and Business class. Delta has First class on domestic flights and some short international flights mostly in North America, the Caribbean, and northern Latin America.

Business class is Delta One and features lay-flat, all aisle access seats and upgraded catering. It is featured on long-haul international flights and premium transcontinental flights. All flights with First class feature complimentary upgrades. No flights with Delta One (business class) feature complimentary upgrades.

There is an important distinction regarding Comfort+ between domestic and international flights.

For domestic flights (and international flights served with Delta's domestic First class) Comfort+ is treated as its own fare class, W. Therefore you are placed on an upgrade list as FO or GM or upgraded instantly after purchase as PM or DM to WU. There must technically be WU inventory available, but there almost always is. This applies for the Medallion and one companion, who must be at least a SkyMiles member, on the same PNR.

For all other international flights Comfort+ is treated as a purchasable seat selection. There is no "upgrade" since there is no fare class change. Sky Miles members can pay money to select C+, FO can select for free 24 hours from departure, GM can select for free 72 hours from departure, and PM and DM can select for free during or after booking. There are no inventory controls as there is no separate fare inventory. All Medallions are allowed to select a seat for themselves and one companion.

Note: There has been a change today regarding which tickets are eligible for companion upgrades. Short answer, pretty much all. Discussion here.
A few points on the above:
  • There are domestic cabins marketed as "Business Class" for which complementary upgrades are available. Additionally, some Caribbean and C. America flights are complimentary upgrade eligible and marketed as "business class". They don't feature the lie flat seats, however and aren't marketed as Delta One.
  • There are some flights with a Delta One cabin (SLC-HNL, ATL-LAX for example) that are complimentary upgrade eligible (though the service isn't marketed as Delta One the hard product is the same)
  • On some international flights Delta sells C+ seats as a seat add fee. On others (namely the Pacific and S. America), W is a separate fare class.
Old Apr 6, 17, 11:50 am
TTT

Originally Posted by leubanks83 View Post
What route are you flying?
Old Apr 6, 17, 11:59 am
C W

Originally Posted by TTT View Post
A few points on the above:
  • There are domestic cabins marketed as "Business Class" for which complementary upgrades are available. Additionally, some Caribbean and C. America flights are complimentary upgrade eligible and marketed as "business class". They don't feature the lie flat seats, however and aren't marketed as Delta One.
  • There are some flights with a Delta One cabin (SLC-HNL, ATL-LAX for example) that are complimentary upgrade eligible (though the service isn't marketed as Delta One the hard product is the same)
  • On some international flights Delta sells C+ seats as a seat add fee. On others (namely the Pacific and S. America), W is a separate fare class.
Thank you for the clarifications. Generally speaking however, the domestic flights which are upgrade eligible and flown without Delta One service but in a Delta One cabin (ATL-LAX etc) are marketed as First Class.

Which Central America and Caribbean flights have recliner seats but aren't marketed as First Class? For example, ATL-BOG and ATL-SJU are both marketed as First Class. They only show up as Business class if they're booked as part of an itinerary (TATL for example) that includes Delta One. Either way, they're upgrade eligible.
Old Apr 6, 17, 12:06 pm

Yes

My wife and I, I am a PM, have always been given C+ seats on our DL international award tickets.
sdadept likes this.
Old Apr 6, 17, 12:21 pm
TTT

Thank you for the clarifications. Generally speaking however, the domestic flights which are upgrade eligible and flown without Delta One service but in a Delta One cabin (ATL-LAX etc) are marketed as First Class.

Which Central America and Caribbean flights have recliner seats but aren't marketed as First Class? For example, ATL-BOG and ATL-SJU are both marketed as First Class. They only show up as Business class if they're booked as part of an itinerary (TATL for example) that includes Delta One. Either way, they're upgrade eligible.
You're right - many of those have been re-branded as First (though they still keep the Business Class fare codes (J, Z, I).

That wasn't always the case, but it's a good change. Will keep the confusion down.

Last edited by TTT; Apr 6, 17 at 12:31 pm
Old Apr 7, 17, 10:42 am
TTT

Originally Posted by TTT View Post
You're right - many of those have been re-branded as First (though they still keep the Business Class fare codes (J, Z, I).

That wasn't always the case, but it's a good change. Will keep the confusion down.
Interestingly, when searching on Matrix (and perhaps others) those flights are still marketed as Business. That's where I do most of my initial searches so have never really noticed the change at Delta.com.

An example is SLC-MEX which sells a Z fare:
Salt Lake City (SLC) to Mexico City (MEX) Sat, Apr 8
Delta 641
Dep: 9:40 am
Arr: 2:35 pm
3h 55m
Airbus A319
Business (Z)
Old Apr 9, 17, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
This is a JFK-LON flight. I'm trying to figure out if I book main cabin will I be able to select a Comfort + seat after booking since I'm platinum.
Old Apr 9, 17, 9:01 am
C W

This is a JFK-LON flight. I'm trying to figure out if I book main cabin will I be able to select a Comfort + seat after booking since I'm platinum.
On that route you will be able to select Comfort+ both during the booking process before final payment or after booking. Your preference.

You can also select a C+ seat for one companion in the same reservation as long as they are at least a SkyMiles member.
Old Apr 9, 17, 2:15 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
On that route you will be able to select Comfort+ both during the booking process before final payment or after booking. Your preference.

You can also select a C+ seat for one companion in the same reservation as long as they are at least a SkyMiles member.
If you want C+ make sure you are booking a Delta operated flight. Some of the JFK-LHR flights are on VS, which does not have C+. The VS Premium Economy class is not the same as C+.
Old Apr 9, 17, 4:08 pm
C W

Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post
If you want C+ make sure you are booking a Delta operated flight. Some of the JFK-LHR flights are on VS, which does not have C+. The VS Premium Economy class is not the same as C+.
OP created a thread regarding this.
Old Apr 10, 17, 5:30 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by CarmenOM View Post
Thats for sure the VS Premium Economy is actually nice and more then just "4 inches of leg room"
Old Apr 10, 17, 7:07 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
C+ on AF or KLM+ as plat?

I'm trying to figure out the same thing for flights to VCE with a return from ZAG. If I fly on Delta metal as a platinum, I could get an immediate C+ seat (if available). It looks like Air France C+ seats are actually wider. If I fly AF, do I pay for their C+ seat? How would it work if I fly a KLM plane and want a C+ seat?
Old Apr 10, 17, 7:18 am
C W

Originally Posted by cmh flyer View Post
I'm trying to figure out the same thing for flights to VCE with a return from ZAG. If I fly on Delta metal as a platinum, I could get an immediate C+ seat (if available). It looks like Air France C+ seats are actually wider. If I fly AF, do I pay for their C+ seat? How would it work if I fly a KLM plane and want a C+ seat?
Air France and KLM do not have Comfort+ or "C+" which is a Delta-branded product that is only available on Delta flights.

KLM has Economy Comfort. It has 4" of extra legroom and additional recline. On some planes it is physically separated from economy giving a bit more peace and privacy. Delta PM and DM can select Economy Comfort seats for free. This doesn't always go smoothly. See here.

While KLM Economy Comfort is very similar to Delta Comfort+ they are two different products and two different brandings. Not to put too fine of a point on it, but asking for Comfort+ on KLM is like going to Burger King and ordering a Big Mac.

Air France's Premium Economy is very different from Comfort+ and Economy Comfort. It is a separate cabin with fewer seats per row, different and wider seats, different catering, dedicated FAs, and different fare booking classes. Therefore it is not sold as a seat upgrade, but as its own type of ticket. Delta elites are not eligible for upgrades to Premium Economy, nor are FlyingBlue elites. Sometimes you may receive a buy-up offer online or in their app, I've seen it for about $250 per way TATL DoD on a V fare purchased through Delta. No guarantee of this happening.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: