Layover at JFk

Old Jun 13, 2019, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pfreet
Hopefully you can through check your bags in CLT. Be aware, JFK might be different, but in Atlanta the last time I tried, they held firm to the 4-hour rule. I could not check my bag beforehand.
It depends on agent mood. However in general, most agents will take bags at hubs for same day flights.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:27 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Plat
I had this scenario just last week. I flew 7am RDU-JFK and then had a 8p flight to Iceland. The gate agent in RDU checked my bags through to Iceland and we went into Manhattan for the day and visited the 9/11 memorial and museum, rode bikes up the west side, went to Chelsea market for lunch, spent a couple of hours in Central Park, had an earlier dinner, and then headed back to JFK.

Everything worked great (including using the showers in the SkyClub) and the bags arrived on time. I'll admit I was pretty relieved when I got a notification on the app that my bags had been loaded though).
Old Jun 14, 2019, 7:52 am

Programs: BA
Sorry to hijack the thread, but is this connection even possible? GIG-JFK on Delta arriving 5:18pm and JFK-MAN on Virgin Atlantic departing 6:20pm. It allows me to ticket it but may be setting myself up for disappointment. I believe they are the same terminal, but not sure. Even if they are the same terminal it seems very tight, even with Global Entry, and not sure how bags are handled. Only one flight each day so I don't have much choice there.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
It’s cutting things a little close but it’s definitely doable especially with Global Entry. I assume you’ll have to go through customs at JFK and then recheck your bags at the counter just outside the customs hall.

JFK/MAN is operated by VS, which is in the same terminal.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by orlandodlplat
It’s cutting things a little close but it’s definitely doable especially with Global Entry. I assume you’ll have to go through customs at JFK and then recheck your bags at the counter just outside the customs hall.

JFK/MAN is operated by VS, which is in the same terminal.
Would you have to go through security again? I've done international-domestic connections but never international-international connection, but not sure there's a difference. Flying in DeltaOne on the GIG-JFK may help speed things up since I presume you're first off the plane and first to get your bags.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:34 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by wiivile
Would you have to go through security again? I've done international-domestic connections but never international-international connection, but not sure there's a difference. Flying in DeltaOne on the GIG-JFK may help speed things up since I presume you're first off the plane and first to get your bags.
You'd have to clear security again. US doesn't do international transits. (Sometimes there is international transfer of bags, which I forget if it is a function of the airline, airport, or both in combination -- someone who knows, and whether this applies at JFK for DL to VS will surely chime in)

I'm surprised it lets you ticket this as the wiki on the MCT thread says I-I DL-VS is 1h25m.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Sorry to hijack the thread, but is this connection even possible? GIG-JFK on Delta arriving 5:18pm and JFK-MAN on Virgin Atlantic departing 6:20pm. It allows me to ticket it but may be setting myself up for disappointment. I believe they are the same terminal, but not sure. Even if they are the same terminal it seems very tight, even with Global Entry, and not sure how bags are handled. Only one flight each day so I don't have much choice there.
Check your reservation details. if it is on the same ticket/reservation, then your departing flight from JFK to MAN on VS is a whole day (25 hours) later.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Check your reservation details. if it is on the same ticket/reservation, then your departing flight from JFK to MAN on VS is a whole day (25 hours) later.
why do you say that? here's a pic

Old Jun 15, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold

Delta's website, for example, will not show this itinerary if book direct on its site.

Good for you for getting this on one ticket. In case of arrival delay into JFK, DL will likely re-book you on another European destination with a later departure time, and an intra-Europe flight to MAN.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Where/with whom did you book? It doesnt meet MCT (minimum connect time, which is 1 hour 25 minutes for DL-VS INTERNAINTERNATIONAL)

You will likely not be allowed to checkin, nor check bags at GIG. The system will see below MCT and should refuse to allow checkin or bag checking.

Has the times changed since you booked? If so call now and get rebooked. If this was booked with DL, and a schedule change has occured they'll rebook you onto anything you like that works. It might mean a change to routing. Including flying GIG-AMS/CDG-MAN with AF/KLM.

Also I'm confused as you're booked in Business class on one flight and coach for connecting. Was it booked all at once?

Last edited by flyerCO; Jun 15, 2019 at 6:11 pm
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Where/with whom did you book? It doesnt meet MCT (minimum connect time, which is 1 hour 25 minutes for DL-VS INTERNAINTERNATIONAL)

You will likely not be allowed to checkin, nor check bags at GIG. The system will see below MCT and should refuse to allow checkin or bag checking.

Has the times changed since you booked? If so call now and get rebooked. If this was booked with DL, and a schedule change has occured they'll rebook you onto anything you like that works. It might mean a change to routing. Including flying GIG-AMS/CDG-MAN with AF/KLM.

Also I'm confused as you're booked in Business class on one flight and coach for connecting. Was it booked all at once?
+1 to FlyerCO's comments.

You currently hold a ticket that cannot be flown. FlyerCO is correct that DL check-in in GIG will almost certainly not allow this ticket to be issued a boarding pass.

On the other hand, you have a "golden ticket". If you find ANY different itinerary - particularly if all flights are DL metal - DL will allow you to change to that new itinerary at no charge. On the other hand, if you prefer, DL will refund your purchase, as the ticketed itinerary (perhaps due to a schedule change) is no longer legal (it does not meet MCT in JFK).
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:10 am

I booked it with miles with Virgin Atlantic. It let them ticket it, but if it won't let me check-in... I'm surprised they would just surprise me with that information at the airport.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
It will be literally impossible to make unless your first flight lands early or your second flight is delayed.
Global entry will get you through passport control quickly but by the time your bags come off the carousel, even if they are the very first ones, you won't have time to re-check, re-clear, and get to the gate.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:24 am

Programs: Delta DM/2MM, Flying Blue Gold, Hertz Platinum
I would find a better combination of flights and call delta (or virgin if it’s on their ticket stock) and ask for a routing that is legal. They should do this with no additional collection as it never should have been ticketed in the first place.

I also don’t understand the combination of fares. Start with delta and make sure the ticketing is issued properly, then ask how you can get a different routing. Will be better if you call with specific flights in mind.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:34 am

Programs: NW GE
Booked an award ticket for my sister and her husband with a similar 10 hour layover at JFK (all one ticket). About 4 hours before their TATL flight I got a call from Delta baggage office at JFK asking whether they were going to make the onward flight. I responded that they had been in the SkyClub for the last 6 hours, and yes, they intended to take their flight as booked and not randomly abandon the ticket to stay in NYC. I'm sure it has to do with the pax/bag matching on international flights, but seemed sort of redundant to me. If you have a long layover like this probably best to make sure that your contact info is correct and you have the phone that is in your profile on and answer a random NYC phone number call if at the airport and this happens. Their bag tracking website information also said something about "baggage held in baggage office" then "baggage released" after I assured the agent that they would be taking the flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.