Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Klm/air france awards tickets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Klm/air france awards tickets

i have been trying to use my miles to book my mom an awards ticket to europe next month. delta.com and diamond line both said nothing is available on klm and air france. this happened last year. are they (klm & air france) not giving out seats to delta? my mom would prefer routing via amsterdam instead of atlanta. thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
AirFrance and KLM make far more award space available to their own Flying Blue FFP members than they do to Delta. This is probably the root (route? heh) of your problem.

IIRC (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), AirFrance/KLM release award space to Delta 331 days out, while they release space to their own members 305 days out.

So if you book early, you have a better chance of finding award space.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bj27
AirFrance and KLM make far more award space available to their own Flying Blue FFP members than they do to Delta. This is probably the root (route? heh) of your problem.

IIRC (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), AirFrance/KLM release award space to Delta 331 days out, while they release space to their own members 305 days out.

So if you book early, you have a better chance of finding award space.
i did the flexible search and there was NONE. surprised nothing is available to be honest considering so many flights they have... guess we will have to book it early next time. thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:24 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
If you post specifics (route/destination) and travel dates that might help someone here find options for you.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 12:25 pm

That can happen. May is getting into the start of the high season to Europe, and many of those flights will be sold out so they feel much less need to offer free seats...not saying it's right, just saying how it is.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Next month is May and peak season traditionally starts mid-month. Not surprising they are sold out.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
If you post specifics (route/destination) and travel dates that might help someone here find options for you.
she wants to travel from LAX to DUS on may 22nd or 23rd and come back on june 12th or 13th. her ideal situation would be LAX-AMS-DUS all on KLM.

please advise.

thanks again guys. you guys are great!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL DM
Remember, there is no law that says KLM and Af have to have any reward space even at 331 days. They may elect to just not have reward space at all.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by frankflieslots
she wants to travel from LAX to DUS on may 22nd or 23rd and come back on june 12th or 13th. her ideal situation would be LAX-AMS-DUS all on KLM.

please advise.

thanks again guys. you guys are great!
For AF or KL metal, you need saver award space. Only DL-metal flights allow redemptions for more miles. There are DL coach awards at 30K miles each way with only one connection on the preferred dates. Take it: you are working with little travel date flexibility in a busy time (although 1 June - Labor Day is busier still).
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by frankflieslots
To book award travel, it helps to have a +/- month, if not even more, flexibility, if you want specific routing/flights... with that little flexibility you either take what is available at the price it is, or if you want more options at the normal price, then expand your search dates parameter.

That's just a general rule of thumb.

Second, at 331 days out is often, for most airlines (but not all), the best time to book...as once that availability is gone, more may or may not open up closer in.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: SPG/Ritz/Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone know if I book a business class award flight on AF if I will have to pay to select my seats?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Gatorsf
Does anyone know if I book a business class award flight on AF if I will have to pay to select my seats?
You do not have to pay. Just go to the Air France website with your AF PNR (it should be on your reservation. If not, call and ask for it) and select your seats there.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: SPG/Ritz/Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Finkface
You do not have to pay. Just go to the Air France website with your AF PNR (it will be on you AS reservation) and select your seats there.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.