Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Great explanation about Crew Tracking & Scheduling and what went wrong: Post #590

[Feel free to edit / add to the timeline of DL events.]

First waver ATL only and only 5-7 and by 11th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170406...perations.html

Second waver "all" hubs and 5-9 and by 16th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170407...perations.html

April 6th COO Gil West apology and blames "unprecedented" ( 5 hour ) storm / weather: http://news.delta.com/chief-operatin...cedented-storm

April 7 & 8 Five things to know list: http://news.delta.com/5-things-custo...tions-saturday

April 7th In midst of service fail Delta devalues SkyMiles with partners: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...000-miles.html

April 8th updates on operations: http://news.delta.com/operational-re...ontinues-today

April 12th will be $DAL earnings live and should yield more info: http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...s/default.aspx

April 9, 11:40 PM (EDT): What appears to be the last cancellation of the meltdown was made for DL2682/10Apr BOS-LGA (717 aircraft)

April 11th - Delta begins to pay out compensation for impacted travelers: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1835970-early-april-operation-disruption-compensation.html

Other coverage of the event:

Pilots board relating to this epic fail: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/d...-atl-irop.html

Factors compounding delays/cancellations:
  • Weather in ATL April 5
  • DL terminating interline with AA
  • Delta's systems crashing/overloaded
  • DL's crew scheduling system crashed [rumor?]
  • Rumored short-term power outage in ATL A concourse caused by airport construction some time around Tuesday-Wednesday

Current delay statistics: Flightaware's live flight delay and cancellation statistics

News coverage:

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Has Canceled Thousands Of Flights And Everyone Is In Hell - No spring break is safe. (Posted on April 7, 2017, at 11:59 a.m.)

The Southampton Press: Cancelled Flight Dashes Disney Dream For Hampton Bays Marching Band (April 7, 2017 11:30 AM)

USA Today: Thousands of Delta flights canceled days after storms (Published 8:53 a.m. ET April 8, 2017)

CNN - Delta meltdown: Pilots are on hold, too (Updated 6:52 PM ET, Sat April 8, 2017)

The Wall Street Journal - Delta Struggles to Recover From Last Week’s Storms (April 9, 2017 12:23 p.m. ET)

AJC.com: Delta woes stretch into Sunday with more cancellations (11:57 a.m. Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Why one day of thunderstorms turned into a five-day Delta meltdown (12:01 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

Detroit Free Press: Headaches continue for Delta fliers in Detroit (Published 2:26 p.m. ET April 9, 2017 Updated 5:54 p.m. ET April 9, 2017)

CNN - Delta tries to 'normalize' as flight cancellations continue (Updated 4:06 PM ET, Sun April 9, 2017)

New York Times: Storms, Though Over, Still Disrupt Delta Flights (APRIL 9, 2017)

NewsChannel5.com - Nashville Man's Body Stranded After Delta Flight Chaos (4:24 PM April 9, 2017)

CBS North Carolina: Raleigh parents upset after son’s body stranded during Delta flight chaos (April 9, 2017, 8:14 pm Updated: April 10, 2017, 5:35 am)

AJC.com: Delta reassures customers as delays continue through weekend (5:53 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Hundreds of stranded bags left at Hartsfield-Jackson in aftermath of Delta flight cancellations (9:29 a.m. Monday, April 10, 2017)

Bloomberg: Delta Delays Drag On, Testing Passengers' Patience (April 9, 2017, 4:10 PM EDT Updated On April 10, 2017, 10:13 AM EDT)

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Suffered "Failure of Crew Tracking Systems" During Cancelled Flight Fiasco - "I feel like we are lost in the system." (Originally posted on April 11, 2017, at 3:28 p.m. Updated on April 12, 2017, at 10:38 a.m. )

Reuters (posted on BusinessInsider): Delta's profit drops 36.3% (Apr. 12, 2017, 7:20 AM)

AJC.com - Accused child rapist caught at airport when flight is delayed (7:39 p.m Thursday, April 13, 2017)
Print Wikipost

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2017, 6:36 pm

For the second day in a row I have spent seven hours in an airport while Delta delayed the flight and then cancelled it with no explanations. The agent who took me off the standby list when I checked in deleted my confirmed seat on Sunday without asking me. I now am stuck here in DC like hundreds if not thousands of people till Monday. There is a lot of incompetence on display here.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
Originally Posted by Traveller
I liked the account of your trip home, I especially loved the above bolded statement.
Ha. I guess the guy yelling made himself feel better. I have no idea. I saw the gamut of emotions over the 24 hour period. From tears to raised voices to confusion to frustration, it was nuts. I met all kinds of new people which was interesting. But, I'm glad to be home.

I forgot to add that all day on Wednesday, the airport announcement was a request to please be at your gate at least 30 minutes before departure. Ha! We were all there 30 minutes before *and* after our scheduled departures.

I just received the standard survey request. It's cute.

Dear XXXXX,

We are very sorry for the cancellation you experienced on April 05, 2017.

As a valued Diamond Medallion® member, your feedback about your experience is important to us and will help us continue to improve. We ask that you please provide feedback on your experience by answering the question below.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Weather or not, DL should really offer some comp to those who had to deal with multiple cancellations. I just got back to NYC after 6 cancellations.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Was anyone having IT issues on Wednesday as well - delta.com and the app were not working for me. I didn't have a problem so much with the weather delays, as I did having no clue with what was going on with my itinerary. Since I did not knowing which flights I was on, I had to constantly wait in long lines to get information and rebooked.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM / 1M, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, Emerald Club Exec
Originally Posted by Youngmiler
Was anyone having IT issues on Wednesday as well - delta.com and the app were not working for me. I didn't have a problem so much with the weather delays, as I did having no clue with what was going on with my itinerary. Since I did not knowing which flights I was on, I had to constantly wait in long lines to get information and rebooked.
Definitely. My itinerary would disappear and then reappear. It happened a LOT. Others I talked to were having the same issue. At one point, there were 3 of us comparing app information. We each pulled up our flight information at the same time and we had 3 different departure times for the same flight.

I got a paper boarding pass as each time the flight disappeared from my itinerary, so did the electronic boarding pass.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
Originally Posted by tev9999
I'm guessing this is why DL176 ATL_DUB is stopping in RDU tonight. Did the same last night too. Never seen an A333 this empty, but I guess that will change shortly.
I'm guessing many pax got diverted to RDU. Just landed there to pick up more people. I assume RDU stops are not normal going to DUB.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:53 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nichelle
Definitely. My itinerary would disappear and then reappear. It happened a LOT. Others I talked to were having the same issue. At one point, there were 3 of us comparing app information. We each pulled up our flight information at the same time and we had 3 different departure times for the same flight.

I got a paper boarding pass as each time the flight disappeared from my itinerary, so did the electronic boarding pass.
An hour after a completed flight, I had the app telling me that boarding was going to be happening later that evening, but that the flight was also still in-flight.

Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:57 pm

I received 2 of these emails this evening...

Dear Delta Customer,

As a valued Medallion Member, we apologize for the disruption to your travel plans you experienced this week and appreciate your patience. Our system recovery process following the severe weather across the southeast on Wednesday is not consistent with the service you should expect from Delta. The weather at our Atlanta hub had a lingering impact across our global operation, and Delta people are working around the clock to restore our operations as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your understanding and loyalty.

Old Apr 7, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I received 2 of these emails this evening...

Dear Delta Customer,

As a valued Medallion Member, we apologize for the disruption to your travel plans you experienced this week and appreciate your patience. Our system recovery process following the severe weather across the southeast on Wednesday is not consistent with the service you should expect from Delta. The weather at our Atlanta hub had a lingering impact across our global operation, and Delta people are working around the clock to restore our operations as quickly as possible.

Thank you for your understanding and loyalty.

Same. What a lovely token gesture from DL...
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Youngmiler
An hour after a completed flight, I had the app telling me that boarding was going to be happening later that evening, but that the flight was also still in-flight.

Yikes. The list of things that went right is pretty short.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:02 pm

I arrived into ATL from Asia on Wednesday afternoon. I was then flying to ORD for one night to meet friends and returning to MSP on Thursday morning

- Landed in ATL.
- ORD Flight delayed to 7:29
- ORD flight delayed to 8:02
- ORD flight gate change to another terminal
- ORD flight gate changed again
- ORD flight delayed to 8:22
- ORD flight delayed to 8:30
- ORD flight delayed to 9:00
- 15 minutes later flight is canceled
- I decided to skip Chicago. Sky club agent booked me on a direct flight from ATL to MSP. It was already delayed so that worked out well. Awesome! Went to the gate to find there was also an Akron flight listed with the same departure time. We weren't sure how this was going to work out but oooookay
- MSP flight delayed to 10:36 PM
Watched half of the Akron flight board. Then boarding was stopped due to weather. Half of the passengers were on the plane. The other half were sitting at the gate.
- MSP flight delayed to 11:45 PM
The rest of the Ohio passengers boarded and their plane left
- MSP flight delayed to 12:45 AM
The gate agent announced that our plane was still at another airport
- MSP flight delayed to 1:08 AM
- MSP flight delayed to 1:44 AM
- MSP gate change to another terminal. They found another plane. Yay! Once we changed gates there was not a single announcement from the gate agent. He said he knew nothing. All updates were from Trip it and then the Delta app. Everyone else just watched the screen. One guy decided to yell at the agent which obviously didn't help.
- MSP flight delayed to 1:53 AM
An employee walked through with a cart of snacks and soda. That was welcome since no restaurants were open.
- MSP flight delayed to 2:33 AM
While at the desk, a lady approached who had a ticket but it wasn't in her name. When she was rebooked, they'd handed her a ticket. It was the right flight but the wrong name. They couldn't figure it out.
- MSP flight canceled at 2:51 AM
Again, the notification was from my phone. Later the agent said it was canceled due to not having an available crew.

Some tried to find hotels. Some tried to find food. Most just wanted more to drink. We walked by a closed sky club and wished we could get in just to freshen up.

I was automatically re-booked on a 6:55 AM flight to Orlando, arriving in MSP sometime in the afternoon. That didn't work out. Another traveler was auto rebooked to a 9PM flight on Thursday night. Another was booked on a morning flight to Chicago, which was later canceled. Eventually, I ended up booked on a flight from ATL to DSM to MSP

Once at the gate, the DSM flight was delayed another 2.5 hours. This time there were gate announcements. The delay meant that I would miss my connection. I didn't care. I was going to take it anyway just to get out of ATL. Thankfully, I was able to get through to the Diamond line within 40 minutes. The agent offered to force a booking on a later connecting flight. I felt bad about the overbooking, but by this time I'd been traveling for days. I made it to Des Moines to hear the gate agent offer $700, a hotel room and a first class ticket to anyone willing to fly home the next day. No, I didn't take it.

I was home by yesterday evening. I feel horrible for those still dealing with this days later. I understand the weather issue. And it's not Delta's fault that I was on a long itinerary. My disappointment is based on *how* it was handled, the communication challenges, the lack of food for those without other choices, etc.

Sorry for the length. I hadn't deleted the alerts so it was interesting for me looking back.
The On-Time Machine

Hubris always gets you in the end. And I say this as someone who has admired the delta network for several years now, just not the arrogance.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Got the same email as above that Nichelle posted.
No apparent offer of compensation.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:25 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by apodo77
1956 ATL-MIA is showing delayed 1 hour and the app says the plane is in ATL and landed yesterday from CHS. Crew issue I suppose?

The app sometimes displays inaccurate inbound flight information. It seems to pull the correct ship number but there may have been other flights in between what it's showing as inbound and your flight. For example if it's showing arrived yesterday from CHS the plane may have flown to FLL and back, even though the inbound still shows coming from CHS. I believe it's last minute ship changes causing that.

Just a possibility.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:36 pm

Just got this:

Dear Spongenotbob,

We are very sorry for the cancellation you experienced on April 05, 2017.

As a valued Silver Medallion® member, your feedback about your experience is important to us and will help us continue to improve. We ask that you please provide feedback on your experience by answering the question below.

How likely are you to recommend Delta Air Lines to others?
But here's the fun part - I had nothing booked for 4/5/17, nor was I cancelled.

Can I get compensation for a flight not booked?
Old Apr 7, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, HH Gold, Marriott LT Plat
The real issue for me here is how Delta constantly seems to brag about their customer service, yet when things really get tough, they fall flat on their face. Its easy to have great service when everything is running smooth! (Unlike the last few days obviously).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.