Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Great explanation about Crew Tracking & Scheduling and what went wrong: Post #590

[Feel free to edit / add to the timeline of DL events.]

First waver ATL only and only 5-7 and by 11th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170406...perations.html

Second waver "all" hubs and 5-9 and by 16th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170407...perations.html

April 6th COO Gil West apology and blames "unprecedented" ( 5 hour ) storm / weather: http://news.delta.com/chief-operatin...cedented-storm

April 7 & 8 Five things to know list: http://news.delta.com/5-things-custo...tions-saturday

April 7th In midst of service fail Delta devalues SkyMiles with partners: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...000-miles.html

April 8th updates on operations: http://news.delta.com/operational-re...ontinues-today

April 12th will be $DAL earnings live and should yield more info: http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...s/default.aspx

April 9, 11:40 PM (EDT): What appears to be the last cancellation of the meltdown was made for DL2682/10Apr BOS-LGA (717 aircraft)

April 11th - Delta begins to pay out compensation for impacted travelers: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1835970-early-april-operation-disruption-compensation.html

Other coverage of the event:

Pilots board relating to this epic fail: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/d...-atl-irop.html

Factors compounding delays/cancellations:
  • Weather in ATL April 5
  • DL terminating interline with AA
  • Delta's systems crashing/overloaded
  • DL's crew scheduling system crashed [rumor?]
  • Rumored short-term power outage in ATL A concourse caused by airport construction some time around Tuesday-Wednesday

Current delay statistics: Flightaware's live flight delay and cancellation statistics

News coverage:

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Has Canceled Thousands Of Flights And Everyone Is In Hell - No spring break is safe. (Posted on April 7, 2017, at 11:59 a.m.)

The Southampton Press: Cancelled Flight Dashes Disney Dream For Hampton Bays Marching Band (April 7, 2017 11:30 AM)

USA Today: Thousands of Delta flights canceled days after storms (Published 8:53 a.m. ET April 8, 2017)

CNN - Delta meltdown: Pilots are on hold, too (Updated 6:52 PM ET, Sat April 8, 2017)

The Wall Street Journal - Delta Struggles to Recover From Last Week’s Storms (April 9, 2017 12:23 p.m. ET)

AJC.com: Delta woes stretch into Sunday with more cancellations (11:57 a.m. Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Why one day of thunderstorms turned into a five-day Delta meltdown (12:01 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

Detroit Free Press: Headaches continue for Delta fliers in Detroit (Published 2:26 p.m. ET April 9, 2017 Updated 5:54 p.m. ET April 9, 2017)

CNN - Delta tries to 'normalize' as flight cancellations continue (Updated 4:06 PM ET, Sun April 9, 2017)

New York Times: Storms, Though Over, Still Disrupt Delta Flights (APRIL 9, 2017)

NewsChannel5.com - Nashville Man's Body Stranded After Delta Flight Chaos (4:24 PM April 9, 2017)

CBS North Carolina: Raleigh parents upset after son’s body stranded during Delta flight chaos (April 9, 2017, 8:14 pm Updated: April 10, 2017, 5:35 am)

AJC.com: Delta reassures customers as delays continue through weekend (5:53 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Hundreds of stranded bags left at Hartsfield-Jackson in aftermath of Delta flight cancellations (9:29 a.m. Monday, April 10, 2017)

Bloomberg: Delta Delays Drag On, Testing Passengers' Patience (April 9, 2017, 4:10 PM EDT Updated On April 10, 2017, 10:13 AM EDT)

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Suffered "Failure of Crew Tracking Systems" During Cancelled Flight Fiasco - "I feel like we are lost in the system." (Originally posted on April 11, 2017, at 3:28 p.m. Updated on April 12, 2017, at 10:38 a.m. )

Reuters (posted on BusinessInsider): Delta's profit drops 36.3% (Apr. 12, 2017, 7:20 AM)

AJC.com - Accused child rapist caught at airport when flight is delayed (7:39 p.m Thursday, April 13, 2017)
Print Wikipost

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
This is exactly what happened to my flight tomorrow morning, 941 MCI-ATL. Originally for 5:40am, but the plane won't arrive into MCI tonight until almost midnight. Min crew rest periods and all, now the flight is scheduled for 8:10am.

Which makes me miss my connection @ ATL.

And there's no room on any ATL-RDU flights.

So my only choice for MCI-RDU tomorrow is via MSP, departing at 5:30pm CDT.

I think I'm gonna book on AA, and get a refund on the DL ticket. This is insane.
Wouldn't blame you for avoiding the ATL after-effects, but it looks like your (delayed) MCI-ATL is scheduled into ATL at 11:07am tomorrow. There are number of seats available on the 12:40pm ATL-RDU. (there are a seats available on the 11:27am ATL-RDU as well, but that's too tight). There's also a seat available on the 2:50pm and a few on the 5:54pm.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:58 pm

Programs: Marriott: Platinum Hilton: Diamond AC: 25K
my parents(70 and 88) are stuck in ATL and there flight to FLL has left or was cancelled. I told my mom to leave my dad in line and try a kiosk. I don't think she is tech savvy enough to use the kiosk but hope fully she will find one and call me so I can attempt to walk her thru a system i have never used, I fly united and AC mainly.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ty97
Wouldn't blame you for avoiding the ATL after-effects, but it looks like your (delayed) MCI-ATL is scheduled into ATL at 11:07am tomorrow. There are number of seats available on the 12:40pm ATL-RDU. (there are a seats available on the 11:27am ATL-RDU as well, but that's too tight). There's also a seat available on the 2:50pm and a few on the 5:54pm.
With ATL poised to suffer residual effects tomorrow which are still not fully known at this point, combined with the first segment already delayed and minimal availability on later connections, that is absolutely not a risk I'd suggest anyone take.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by beckoa
A fellow FTer @jackal is on DL1757 SNA-ATL.

They just diverted to DFW:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/D...000Z/KSNA/KDFW

I'm guessing this is due to wx.
According to the departures/arrivals board in the SkyClub here in DFW, the following flights were diverted to DFW:

DL2483, LAS-ATL
DL2049, SFO-ATL
DL1757, SNA-ATL
DL101, LAX-ATL

My flight arrived here about 8:05pm and was initially filed to depart at 8:29pm (presumably after refueling). The pilot came on and said they would try to get us out ASAP but that there is gridlock in ATL and they don't have places to put all the inbound aircraft. Thunderstorm activity was mentioned and one person told me there was a tornado watch, though I didn't confirm that.

The GA then came onboard and said they were pulling us off as they did not have a departure time, though the GIDS showed a 9:30pm departure. I made my way to the SC and while waiting to check in, the delay rolled to 10pm and ultimately to 11pm.

They're telling those of us who came in on diverted flights to stay on those flights as they are the best chance to get out. The rest of the people in here on canceled flights appear to have been scheduled DFW-ATL flights--those were the first to go (presumably as the inbounds were canceled). Those people are being told that the earliest they can get out is Friday.

They just paged boarding for DL2049 (the SFO flight) flight in the SkyClub, so it looks like are trying to make a go of it. I also just overheard a conversation about DL101; they are going to board at 10:15 for door closure at 10:50 and are going to try to get out at 11.

The app is slow to load but so far appears to be keeping updated and accurate. That's more than I can say for AA's app, which becomes nearly useless in IRROPS...

ETA: Looks like the SFO flight is out of gate now and awaiting takeoff.

Last edited by jackal; Apr 5, 2017 at 9:09 pm
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Are there any delays leaving ATL? Seems like most people here are stuck trying to fly into ATL?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262
Are there any delays leaving ATL? Seems like most people here are stuck trying to fly into ATL?
Another line of storms is finishing pushing through ATL and there's a ground stop right now, so nothing is leaving at the moment.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Communication or more specifically lack thereof is a major problem. Now siting here for >4 hours and only had one announcement by crew.
nobody knows a thing. There were multiple opportunities for flights o depart and arrive in windows earlier yet atl is effectively closed for hours. Sure looks like delta is giving up. Epic fail
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by kxc262
Absolutely... FAA reports gate hold/taxi delays of over 90 minutes. And the ramps are going to be closed until the current line of storms passes through and the lightning is no longer posing a hazard.

This in addition to the delays caused by the delayed inbound aircraft. People can't get out if their planes can't get in.

Originally Posted by javabytes
With ATL poised to suffer residual effects tomorrow which are still not fully known at this point, combined with the first segment already delayed and minimal availability on later connections, that is absolutely not a risk I'd suggest anyone take.
I can certainly see that. Not offering the OP any suggestions, as all options suck at this point, just offering information.

Looks like OP's inbound may have delayed further due to the latest storms. I am not verse on crew rest minimums, but that 8:10am might push back further depending on when the inbound actually arrives.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:18 pm

Programs: Marriott: Platinum Hilton: Diamond AC: 25K
Wow people are mean in atl my mom says 3 or 4 people shoved in front of her in line to see an agent in line.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anxiously awaiting some of this weather heading up to NYC for a flight tomorrow (Thurs). Ugh.
And they had a weather waiver for yesterday when it was just a little drizzly. But none for tomorrow. Probably wouldn't have mattered there are not likely any flights to switch to.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Glad I'm only doing a simple DCA-CVG hop tomorrow. The FC cabin was largely open until a few hours ago, so I'm assuming that it was filled by reroutes from the all the canceled DCA-ATL flights today.

I'm staying near DCA tonight, and talked to a few DL pilots at the hotel. They're stranded here, and aren't exactly sure when they'll get back to ATL. I assume that they timed out.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
And another fictitious departure time goea by. Now they're counting pax. This crap should've been done and ready to go hours ago
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:45 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
3 flights to ATL have boarded from LGA. 2 volunteers needed for overbooked - $900
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
Absolutely... FAA reports gate hold/taxi delays of over 90 minutes. And the ramps are going to be closed until the current line of storms passes through and the lightning is no longer posing a hazard.

This in addition to the delays caused by the delayed inbound aircraft. People can't get out if their planes can't get in.
"General Departure Delays: Due to WX:Thunderstorms, traffic is experiencing Gate Hold and Taxi delays between 1 hour and 1 hour and 14 minutes in length and decreasing."

Unfortunately, ATL is still a mess due to ATC issues. Good luck, hope you get out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.