Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Great explanation about Crew Tracking & Scheduling and what went wrong: Post #590

[Feel free to edit / add to the timeline of DL events.]

First waver ATL only and only 5-7 and by 11th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170406...perations.html

Second waver "all" hubs and 5-9 and by 16th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170407...perations.html

April 6th COO Gil West apology and blames "unprecedented" ( 5 hour ) storm / weather: http://news.delta.com/chief-operatin...cedented-storm

April 7 & 8 Five things to know list: http://news.delta.com/5-things-custo...tions-saturday

April 7th In midst of service fail Delta devalues SkyMiles with partners: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...000-miles.html

April 8th updates on operations: http://news.delta.com/operational-re...ontinues-today

April 12th will be $DAL earnings live and should yield more info: http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...s/default.aspx

April 9, 11:40 PM (EDT): What appears to be the last cancellation of the meltdown was made for DL2682/10Apr BOS-LGA (717 aircraft)

April 11th - Delta begins to pay out compensation for impacted travelers: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1835970-early-april-operation-disruption-compensation.html

Other coverage of the event:

Pilots board relating to this epic fail: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/d...-atl-irop.html

Factors compounding delays/cancellations:
  • Weather in ATL April 5
  • DL terminating interline with AA
  • Delta's systems crashing/overloaded
  • DL's crew scheduling system crashed [rumor?]
  • Rumored short-term power outage in ATL A concourse caused by airport construction some time around Tuesday-Wednesday

Current delay statistics: Flightaware's live flight delay and cancellation statistics

News coverage:

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Has Canceled Thousands Of Flights And Everyone Is In Hell - No spring break is safe. (Posted on April 7, 2017, at 11:59 a.m.)

The Southampton Press: Cancelled Flight Dashes Disney Dream For Hampton Bays Marching Band (April 7, 2017 11:30 AM)

USA Today: Thousands of Delta flights canceled days after storms (Published 8:53 a.m. ET April 8, 2017)

CNN - Delta meltdown: Pilots are on hold, too (Updated 6:52 PM ET, Sat April 8, 2017)

The Wall Street Journal - Delta Struggles to Recover From Last Week’s Storms (April 9, 2017 12:23 p.m. ET)

AJC.com: Delta woes stretch into Sunday with more cancellations (11:57 a.m. Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Why one day of thunderstorms turned into a five-day Delta meltdown (12:01 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

Detroit Free Press: Headaches continue for Delta fliers in Detroit (Published 2:26 p.m. ET April 9, 2017 Updated 5:54 p.m. ET April 9, 2017)

CNN - Delta tries to 'normalize' as flight cancellations continue (Updated 4:06 PM ET, Sun April 9, 2017)

New York Times: Storms, Though Over, Still Disrupt Delta Flights (APRIL 9, 2017)

NewsChannel5.com - Nashville Man's Body Stranded After Delta Flight Chaos (4:24 PM April 9, 2017)

CBS North Carolina: Raleigh parents upset after son’s body stranded during Delta flight chaos (April 9, 2017, 8:14 pm Updated: April 10, 2017, 5:35 am)

AJC.com: Delta reassures customers as delays continue through weekend (5:53 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Hundreds of stranded bags left at Hartsfield-Jackson in aftermath of Delta flight cancellations (9:29 a.m. Monday, April 10, 2017)

Bloomberg: Delta Delays Drag On, Testing Passengers' Patience (April 9, 2017, 4:10 PM EDT Updated On April 10, 2017, 10:13 AM EDT)

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Suffered "Failure of Crew Tracking Systems" During Cancelled Flight Fiasco - "I feel like we are lost in the system." (Originally posted on April 11, 2017, at 3:28 p.m. Updated on April 12, 2017, at 10:38 a.m. )

Reuters (posted on BusinessInsider): Delta's profit drops 36.3% (Apr. 12, 2017, 7:20 AM)

AJC.com - Accused child rapist caught at airport when flight is delayed (7:39 p.m Thursday, April 13, 2017)
Print Wikipost

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by chrislevin
Delta is probably paying off CNN right now. FAA needs to look into this.
Ok Donald
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by Renes Points
DING DING DING... and we have a winner.
You're always a winner when you get to characterize events in the most favorable terms to you.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
lol, i always wondered why when i call them during irop, their automatic greeting will emphasis the word "weather" in a weird way, and split that greeting into multiple unnecessary sentences so i get to hear "weather" 3 or 4 times. lol
On one page alone of DL's news site I saw "unprecedented storm," "severe storms," "lingering impact of this week's storms," and "we can't control the weather." Yes, we all get that there were some severe storms...4 days ago. But there really should be some statute of limitations on how long an airline can blame problems on weather in order to justify refusing to offer stranded passengers assistance with hotel rooms and meals.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:09 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold

Always remember Delta is not an airline - They are a law firm that just happens to fly A LOT of airplanes!
Well yah. I guess the flip side is it looks like one day of weather disrupted their operation for 5+ days? So while it costs them that could make this less embarrassing.

But 5 days of problems would be a lot of 200 dollar vouchers I guess. I have a major complaint email in and seeing what the result will be. Most had nothing to do with the initial weather issues.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:12 am

143 150 cancellations for Sunday so far. Yesterday had 400. Friday had 800.

Last edited by Widgets; Apr 9, 2017 at 9:39 am
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I bet they get up close to 400ish again. Until Monday/Tuesday.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: AA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I bet they get up close to 400ish again. Until Monday/Tuesday.
not sure if they can keep it below 200. if its 400 again, I will begin to worry about my Friday's flight.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
not sure if they can keep it below 200. if its 400 again, I will begin to worry about my Friday's flight.
I have DLX DEN-SEA-PDX on Tuesday. I hope it's all sorted by then, but goodness.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by anc-ord772
I have DLX DEN-SEA-PDX on Tuesday. I hope it's all sorted by then, but goodness.
I think the West Coast is Ok at this point. It's the East that's still a big mess.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:35 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I really am surprised they still aren't mentioning anything but weather.
It really blows my mind. One of the local West Palm Beach stations had coverage of the delays and cancelations last night and all that was mentioned was the weather on Wednesday.

Delta PR must be working OT to keep this under wraps.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:43 am

Kind of say something about it - http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/08/travel...cancellations/
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
As of noon EST April 9, Flightaware's live flight delay and cancellation statistics says that Delta has already cancelled 135 flights and another 561 599 flights are delayed.

According to same source, on yesterday (April 8), Delta cancelled 391 flights (14%) and delayed another 1290 flights (46%).

[ETA: 38 more flights were delayed during the time it took me to type the 2 sentences above...]
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

Always remember Delta is not an airline - They are a law firm that just happens to fly A LOT of airplanes!
And here I thought they were an oil company
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
The crew tracking system never crashed.

The only system that went "down" was SNAPP on Wednesday as updated passenger info was delayed flowing into the program due to all the changes. The crew tracking (or "scheduling system" as some call it) had a similar issue where it was delayed updating crew info due to the sheer volume of flight changes, delays, and cancellations. With a backlog of hundreds of crew changes, it's taking the system much longer than normal to process pairing crews with flights, etc. This is what's contributing to the excessive crew delays that continue on today.

OCC projecting 200 cancellations for today.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Some selective news coverage:

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Has Canceled Thousands Of Flights And Everyone Is In Hell - No spring break is safe. (Posted on April 7, 2017, at 11:59 a.m.)

USA Today: Thousands of Delta flights canceled days after storms (Published 8:53 a.m. ET April 8, 2017)

And the story of a high school band that didn't get to march at Disney World because Delta was only able to get half of them there:
A series of unfortunate plane delays has grounded the Hampton Bays marching band’s planned stroll down “Main Street USA” at Disney World’s Magic Kingdom scheduled for Friday afternoon.

According to Schools Superintendent Lars Clemensen, the students—who were originally slated to perform in February but had to reschedule for today because of snow—were booked on two different flights leaving from LaGuardia Airport in Queens on Thursday night and within one hour of each other. The second flight that was supposed to transport 36 of the students had to be canceled by Delta Airlines because of the lack of a flight crew.

The district worked all night with the airline to try and find another solution, but was unable to come up with a way to transport the three dozen students to Orlando in time from any other New York airport.
Link to the full story:
The Southampton Press: Cancelled Flight Dashes Disney Dream For Hampton Bays Marching Band (April 7, 2017 11:30 AM)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.