Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Great explanation about Crew Tracking & Scheduling and what went wrong: Post #590

[Feel free to edit / add to the timeline of DL events.]

First waver ATL only and only 5-7 and by 11th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170406...perations.html

Second waver "all" hubs and 5-9 and by 16th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170407...perations.html

April 6th COO Gil West apology and blames "unprecedented" ( 5 hour ) storm / weather: http://news.delta.com/chief-operatin...cedented-storm

April 7 & 8 Five things to know list: http://news.delta.com/5-things-custo...tions-saturday

April 7th In midst of service fail Delta devalues SkyMiles with partners: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...000-miles.html

April 8th updates on operations: http://news.delta.com/operational-re...ontinues-today

April 12th will be $DAL earnings live and should yield more info: http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...s/default.aspx

April 9, 11:40 PM (EDT): What appears to be the last cancellation of the meltdown was made for DL2682/10Apr BOS-LGA (717 aircraft)

April 11th - Delta begins to pay out compensation for impacted travelers: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1835970-early-april-operation-disruption-compensation.html

Other coverage of the event:

Pilots board relating to this epic fail: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/d...-atl-irop.html

Factors compounding delays/cancellations:
  • Weather in ATL April 5
  • DL terminating interline with AA
  • Delta's systems crashing/overloaded
  • DL's crew scheduling system crashed [rumor?]
  • Rumored short-term power outage in ATL A concourse caused by airport construction some time around Tuesday-Wednesday

Current delay statistics: Flightaware's live flight delay and cancellation statistics

News coverage:

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Has Canceled Thousands Of Flights And Everyone Is In Hell - No spring break is safe. (Posted on April 7, 2017, at 11:59 a.m.)

The Southampton Press: Cancelled Flight Dashes Disney Dream For Hampton Bays Marching Band (April 7, 2017 11:30 AM)

USA Today: Thousands of Delta flights canceled days after storms (Published 8:53 a.m. ET April 8, 2017)

CNN - Delta meltdown: Pilots are on hold, too (Updated 6:52 PM ET, Sat April 8, 2017)

The Wall Street Journal - Delta Struggles to Recover From Last Week’s Storms (April 9, 2017 12:23 p.m. ET)

AJC.com: Delta woes stretch into Sunday with more cancellations (11:57 a.m. Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Why one day of thunderstorms turned into a five-day Delta meltdown (12:01 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

Detroit Free Press: Headaches continue for Delta fliers in Detroit (Published 2:26 p.m. ET April 9, 2017 Updated 5:54 p.m. ET April 9, 2017)

CNN - Delta tries to 'normalize' as flight cancellations continue (Updated 4:06 PM ET, Sun April 9, 2017)

New York Times: Storms, Though Over, Still Disrupt Delta Flights (APRIL 9, 2017)

NewsChannel5.com - Nashville Man's Body Stranded After Delta Flight Chaos (4:24 PM April 9, 2017)

CBS North Carolina: Raleigh parents upset after son’s body stranded during Delta flight chaos (April 9, 2017, 8:14 pm Updated: April 10, 2017, 5:35 am)

AJC.com: Delta reassures customers as delays continue through weekend (5:53 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Hundreds of stranded bags left at Hartsfield-Jackson in aftermath of Delta flight cancellations (9:29 a.m. Monday, April 10, 2017)

Bloomberg: Delta Delays Drag On, Testing Passengers' Patience (April 9, 2017, 4:10 PM EDT Updated On April 10, 2017, 10:13 AM EDT)

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Suffered "Failure of Crew Tracking Systems" During Cancelled Flight Fiasco - "I feel like we are lost in the system." (Originally posted on April 11, 2017, at 3:28 p.m. Updated on April 12, 2017, at 10:38 a.m. )

Reuters (posted on BusinessInsider): Delta's profit drops 36.3% (Apr. 12, 2017, 7:20 AM)

AJC.com - Accused child rapist caught at airport when flight is delayed (7:39 p.m Thursday, April 13, 2017)
Print Wikipost

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by B752
Just randomly spoke to a Delta FA at hotel and the crew seems to have no idea what's going on. All they seem to know is that communications from DL are sparse, they are completely out of rotation, DL is falling behind on providing hotels for crews who suddenly need crew rest because of delays and cancellations.
Maybe because it's the weekend?

Not excusing DL at all, just pointing out that may be an explanation for the sparse communication.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by travels2
Yes, and flight attendants. What is odd is that for the hours that we were waiting at the gate for a crew to be ready for our flight, there were a ton of people waiting for seats on standby.
Interesting. In my situation, once they realized that people had overheard the fuel conversation and were getting even more upset they decided to go ahead and board the aircraft. This was originally a full flight, but by the time the inbound arrived only 30 or so people were left.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by B752
We overheard gate agents having that exact same conversation as we were finally boarding a flight at JFK. This was around 1am where we had an A319 with only about 30 people left for what was originally a full flight. This flight was scheduled for the 4th which is another reason I'm not buying the weather excuse in full.

My bag also ended up at ATL some how even though I never had a connection there. The bag tracker never updated after the bags were checked in, but on arrival I recieve an email saying that I was entitled to the 2,500 miles.
I got a ridiculous email from Delta supposedly apologizing for the effects of the weather on my flight. Such BS. Weather did not cause my flight problems yesterday, Delta's bad cost cutting decisions did. We should all probably check what compensation we are entitled to for delayed flights and cancellations.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Originally had LHR-BOS booked for THUR 4/7, and then we were going home BOS-ATL on NW on points/companion pass. In December got the schedule change e-mail and managed to set up LHR-ATL-BOS with no intent to do the ATL-BOS run.

On Thursday LHR-ATL was fine, went home and wasn't aware of the ongoing issues, and today I see that wife and I have been rebooked on the 10:48p ATL-BOS flight today. Checked flightaware and see that our THUR ATL-BOS flight had been cancelled. So wasn't inconvenienced at all, but wonder if Delta will automatically give us some compensation for nothing???

Or maybe go to the airport tonight and see what's up, maybe VDB?
10 minutes ago there were only 2 seats available on my 10:24 tonight, both in F. Now 8 seats opened in main cabin. Is it even worth going to the airport tonight?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Maybe because it's the weekend?

Not excusing DL at all, just pointing out that may be an explanation for the sparse communication.
I can believe that these Delta employees are not getting information from their employer. Many of them seemed really frazzled and it seemed that they couldn't get through to other Delta people on the phone also. I'm sympathetic to their position, but that doesn't excuse the ones that were really callous in their dealings with customers.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:56 pm

Despite being stuck in DC and two failed trips to the airport with apparently no clear end in sight as far as getting home, I refrain from speculating overly about what Delta could or should have done. But the pilot board is pretty telling. I don't think they have a specific axe to grind.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:05 pm

Calling Richard Anderson!
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k; Marriott Titanium
Whoa thanks for the info! i' m impressed by the breath and depth of the knowledge of the board!
No delta did not offer any reason for cancellation nor any compensation. I heard the agent said "weather" to the passenger in front of me. We were really exhausted by the time (worked 10-hour day, drove 3 hours to Lax amid LA Friday traffic, waited in line for 2.5 hours), and the line was so long behind us, we did't want to argue/question the agent; we just wanted to finish up so that she can help the next passenger.
I will ask Delta for the compensation. What's the best means? Email? Call to the Plt line after things settle down?
Originally Posted by princeville
Did they give you a reason for the cancellation? They gave your plane to 2260 to SLC. You can see this on flightradar24 if you look up tail # N314NB.

We were supposed to fly an A-319 coming in from BNA (2434, I think). I kept my eye on that flight before leaving for the airport. It was delayed three times, after which 2260 would show a delay as well. Finally it was canceled and I expected my flight to be canceled as well, but it continued to just show delayed. On flightradar24 I saw that our tail number had changed to another A-319, which also showed as scheduled for CMH, then after a bit the CMH flight was canceled and 2260 did finally go on to SLC , a couple hours late.

I don't know if they offered you any compensation, but I would be asking for reimbursement for the hotel last night and any additional amount you had to pay to fly WN. This wasn't weather. There was an aircraft and a crew ready to go. Someone just made a decision that the SLC flight was more critical.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, CC Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, DL PM
My BF finally received his luggage. We tried to file for a refund for the cancelled flight, but it would not verify the Irop. We also asked for the 2,500 miles for the luggage being delayed, but it told us that the flight arrived on time.

We sent a shortly worded complaint to Delta asking for a refund of the flight, payment to cover the cost of the rental car and 2,500 miles for the baggage delay.

I really do not expect much of a reply, especially since he was on a basic economy ticket. However, since he was massively inconvenienced, it was worth asking for compensation.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I dodged a second IT meltdown by flying on a regional (SkyWest). The last meltdown I was on the same but I don't recall if I had flown in and out of Oklahoma or Texas. Last night I returned from SAT. No issues.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SRQRoadWarrior
Calling Richard Anderson!
Good God, has it really come to this?

Quite honestly though, I don't see how Ed survives this one. The stock absolutely should tumble on Monday, right before the earnings call too.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
If only I could get ORC based on the route my baggage flew

My routing - MCI-LGA-ATL, GSP-ATL-BOS. Had a meeting in GSP so needed a stop there. After Boston I had to drive north of MHT for work.

Bag routing - MCI-LGA-ATL-CLT-JFK-BOS-LGA-MHT. Still in transit as we speak
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, US Gold
I posted earlier about sending planes to other hubs. It appears Delta did add a special 9000 flight from LAS to DTW today so good for them. Why not more?? From my contacts still in LAS they have 4 planes parked away from gates on tarmac and many many crew willing to go wherever they will send them. Even an entire DTW crew and pilots who would take a plane home with stranded passengers.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by dugu
Whoa thanks for the info! i' m impressed by the breath and depth of the knowledge of the board!
No delta did not offer any reason for cancellation nor any compensation. I heard the agent said "weather" to the passenger in front of me. We were really exhausted by the time (worked 10-hour day, drove 3 hours to Lax amid LA Friday traffic, waited in line for 2.5 hours), and the line was so long behind us, we did't want to argue/question the agent; we just wanted to finish up so that she can help the next passenger.
I will ask Delta for the compensation. What's the best means? Email? Call to the Plt line after things settle down?
I'd be curious to know what their internal system is showing as the reason for the delay. Maybe Tweet them and ask "What is the system showing as the reason for the delay of DLxxx on x/x/xx?"

If they reply back with anything other than "weather" or "air traffic control," boom: you have every right to pursue customer care for compensation until they give you something. If the cause of the delay is coded as an act of God (weather or the FAA, which is God to the airlines), then it'll be a much more uphill battle.

Keep us apprised of the outcome.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: Retired. Amtrak, DL (2MM, Signed up for DL FF program 2nd day offered 8/81), Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by WWads
Quite honestly though, I don't see how Ed survives this one. The stock absolutely should tumble on Monday, right before the earnings call too.
Ed is only hurting himself by not addressing this, and staying silent. There has to be some sort of reason he is staying silent, (maybe it is a legal reason...who knows).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.