Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta one waitlist upgrades - when are the done?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM

At airport now on upgrade list for Delta One flight. Just curious how soon before departure these are typically done. Are these post-start of boarding?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton DM
Usually they are cleared about a half hour before flights. New guidance is 40 minutes before flight. You may want to let the GA know you are on the upgrade list.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If its international, they should clear with some buffer prior to boarding, so in the 60 min range. Domestic D1 could be up to when boarding starts.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you're clearing into a seat that was never sold or never checked in, the GA normally processes the upgrade just after the check in deadline for the flight, one hour for international and usually 30-45 minutes for domestic flights depending on the departure airport. However, for seats that become available due to a checked in passenger not showing for the flight, the GA should wait until the "be in the gate area and ready to board by" deadline or later, which officially would be 30 minutes for international and 10-15 minutes for domestic, but GAs are likely to wait as long as possible if the passenger is coming from a delayed connecting flight.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:46 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HH DM, National Exec Elite, SPG, Hyatt Plat
Usually for me, they don't clear until after they've been boarding families with small children and I've gone up to the desk to inquire about how there's one seat open and I'm #1 on the upgrade list.

Never had an upgrade clear 30 minutes prior to boarding on any domestic, usually happens only 5 minutes prior to boarding. Most times though, premium is about to board and I still haven't been cleared yet. It's aggravating.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:00 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mra123
Never had an upgrade clear 30 minutes prior to boarding on any domestic, usually happens only 5 minutes prior to boarding.
I think MSPecon was referring to 30-45 minutes before departure time, not 30-45 minutes before boarding - - which would be a few minutes before boarding, or, exactly when you say!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
I think MSPecon was referring to 30-45 minutes before departure time, not 30-45 minutes before boarding - - which would be a few minutes before boarding, or, exactly when you say!
Yes indeed. Thank you.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HH DM, National Exec Elite, SPG, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by davetravels
Ah, sorry, tired eyes tonight. MSPecon did specify that and I missed it. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.