Wiki Posts
Search

RUC and SDC question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
RUC and SDC question

If you SDC with a confirmed RUC, you get FC if there's a seat available. We all know that. But, what if you have a multi segment trip and are only confirmed in FC on the first leg and wait listed on the second. Does the RUC get applied to the second leg too given an available seat or are you wait listed on the upgrade list in the priority order?

For example, let's say you are doing BOS-ATL-SLC and cleared BOS-ATL but not ATL-SLC and you SDC BOS-JFK-SLC. What happens to the JFK-SLC if there are seats left in FC?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bicostal
If you SDC with a confirmed RUC, you get FC if there's a seat available. We all know that. But, what if you have a multi segment trip and are only confirmed in FC on the first leg and wait listed on the second. Does the RUC get applied to the second leg too given an available seat or are you wait listed on the upgrade list in the priority order?

For example, let's say you are doing BOS-ATL-SLC and cleared BOS-ATL but not ATL-SLC and you SDC BOS-JFK-SLC. What happens to the JFK-SLC if there are seats left in FC?
You would only be able to use the FC policy for the leg confirmed in First. So to change to BOS-JFK-SLC, JFK-SLC would need the same coach fare class available as your ATL-SLC was booked in.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:58 am

Consider whether you can do a "double SDC to RUC". (I need a better term -- double SDC shuffle?)

That is, see if there is some route, any route, BOS-xxx-SLC that you can SDC to that has OP/RP inventory (and inventory in your original coach fare class). Then, once you clear at SDC-reticketing, re-SDC to BOS-ATL-SLC.

This is trickier when you are flying on a connection, because you can't SDC to a nonstop. But this works nicely for say, LAS-JFK or SAN-JFK, if you want to end up on LAS-LAX-JFK or SAN-LAX-JFK (or reverse) to get the D1 route.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
You would only be able to use the FC policy for the leg confirmed in First. So to change to BOS-JFK-SLC, JFK-SLC would need the same coach fare class available as your ATL-SLC was booked in.
Obviously not what I wanted to hear, but, let's try this. Let's say I'm doing BOS-ATL-SAN and have BOS-ATL on a confirmed RUC. Now I want to SDC to BOS-LAX-SAN. If what you said is correct, then I should be able to SDC to FC on BOS-LAX assuming an FC seat is available, and take my chances on the LAX-SAN?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Bicostal
Obviously not what I wanted to hear, but, let's try this. Let's say I'm doing BOS-ATL-SAN and have BOS-ATL on a confirmed RUC. Now I want to SDC to BOS-LAX-SAN. If what you said is correct, then I should be able to SDC to FC on BOS-LAX assuming an FC seat is available, and take my chances on the LAX-SAN?
Correct assuming it's a valid routing and the agent is willing to do it. There's enough problems with SDC and cleared RUCs, a half cleared is going to be a.nightmare I imagine.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
There's enough problems with SDC and cleared RUCs
You ain't kidding. The number of times that I have to educate an agent that "no, it's only OU/RU that doesn't transfer over. OP/RP is a first class/business class fare and transfers over just as F/J inventory does."
Old Apr 5, 2017, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by flyerwma
Consider whether you can do a "double SDC to RUC". (I need a better term -- double SDC shuffle?)

That is, see if there is some route, any route, BOS-xxx-SLC that you can SDC to that has OP/RP inventory (and inventory in your original coach fare class). Then, once you clear at SDC-reticketing, re-SDC to BOS-ATL-SLC.

This is trickier when you are flying on a connection, because you can't SDC to a nonstop. But this works nicely for say, LAS-JFK or SAN-JFK, if you want to end up on LAS-LAX-JFK or SAN-LAX-JFK (or reverse) to get the D1 route.
But I thought the policy was you can't use SDC to go from regular domestic F/J to a premium service J route like LAX-JFK.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
On a different question, same headline:

I'm on the same reservation with a FO companion. Currently waitlisted using RUC's, availability on our flight is dwindling down, but there is another flight leaving an hour or so later showing what looks like higher availability.

Question 1: If we SDC, is my companion charged a fee ?

Question 2: What's the smart way to proceed ? Wait for gate to assume control of the original flight and, if it doesn't look we make the upgrade, call in and request to SDC to the later one and reapply RUC's ?

Thanks for helping this first-timer.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:25 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by trek87
But I thought the policy was you can't use SDC to go from regular domestic F/J to a premium service J route like LAX-JFK.
Current policy is that you *can* SDC onto a domestic D1 route, but not all agents realize this so sometimes you have to HUCA.

It has been claimed by the usual suspect that this policy is going away, but that seems not to have happened yet.

Originally Posted by thesaints
On a different question, same headline:

I'm on the same reservation with a FO companion. Currently waitlisted using RUC's, availability on our flight is dwindling down, but there is another flight leaving an hour or so later showing what looks like higher availability.

Question 1: If we SDC, is my companion charged a fee ?

Question 2: What's the smart way to proceed ? Wait for gate to assume control of the original flight and, if it doesn't look we make the upgrade, call in and request to SDC to the later one and reapply RUC's ?

Thanks for helping this first-timer.
1. Officially yes. Unofficially an agent might do you a favor.

2. In theory, that should work, but things can go wrong with late-breaking SDCs and not appearing on the upgrade list in the proper place following the SDC. It's also tricky to SDC after check-in. I also had a case where I tried to SDC inside of T-3h and the phone agent said something about it being under gate control at that point but was able to get a supervisor to override.

So long story short, if you have the flexibility then maybe wait until about T-3.5h and try to gauge things then, and if you decide to SDC then do it on the phone and ask them to make sure the RUC request transfers over.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Zorak
1. Officially yes. Unofficially an agent might do you a favor.

2. In theory, that should work, but things can go wrong with late-breaking SDCs and not appearing on the upgrade list in the proper place following the SDC. It's also tricky to SDC after check-in. I also had a case where I tried to SDC inside of T-3h and the phone agent said something about it being under gate control at that point but was able to get a supervisor to override.

So long story short, if you have the flexibility then maybe wait until about T-3.5h and try to gauge things then, and if you decide to SDC then do it on the phone and ask them to make sure the RUC request transfers over.
Thank you!
So, are you saying we should not check-in ? I wanted to monitor our chances on the upgrade list.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:38 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by thesaints
Thank you!
So, are you saying we should not check-in ? I wanted to monitor our chances on the upgrade list.
Checking in complicates things in the event you end up wanting to SDC, but it is true that is the only way you can see the upgrade list, so it does present a bit of a dilemma

You can still SDC after checking in, but in that case be vigilant about your position on the upgrade list -- make sure it looks correct given the RUC.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by trek87
Don't see that written anywhere as a policy. You can't SDC from connection (JFK-XXX-LAX) to non-stop (JFK-LAX). But you can SDC from JFK-SAN to JFK-LAX-SAN. I did it for a colleague's res.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Ambassador Platinum
Originally Posted by Zorak
Checking in complicates things in the event you end up wanting to SDC, but it is true that is the only way you can see the upgrade list, so it does present a bit of a dilemma
This isn't entirely true. It far from "complicates it". I've been told by phone agents it's just a simple click for them to uncheck you in.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by pitpit
This isn't entirely true. It far from "complicates it". I've been told by phone agents it's just a simple click for them to uncheck you in.
You can even use the kiosk/OLCI page/DL app to SDC once checked in. Just with an agent there's one extra click for them instead of being part of the automated process.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
True. I've done it with no problems.

However, I did have an issue with an IROPs booking where an agent accused me of trying to check in before the ticket had been reissued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.